Is anyone just over Chanel?

Are you over Chanel?

• Yes absolutely, I don't feel it anymore, and I plan on buying another brand

Votes: 223 20.5%
  • Yes, I don't feel it anymore, but I also don't plan on buying another brand

Votes: 69 6.3%
  • No, I will always love Chanel and will pay whatever price they ask for it

Votes: 40 3.7%
  • No, I love Chanel and the designs but price is a barrier, so I'll be more selective about purchases

Votes: 756 69.5%

• Total voters
Rebpin, if you want a cf, you should get one. I’m a reissue person, and I feel thats a more classic look. I also prefer the mini to the WOC, but many TPFers believe otherwise. Only you can weigh whether to spend on a cf at today’s prices.

i would say that if you would rather have a birkin than a Chanel flap, go for what you love and don’t settle. IMO there is room in ones wardrobe for both as they are entirely different. A Chanel flap can go from day to evening. But, I think of a B30 or 35 basically as a daytime tote.

btwn a birkin 30 or 35, there is a big difference. Both are easy to get if one is flexible. I think more and more TPfers are scoring them NIB and it’s early yet to tell if covid may affect availability. Personally, Ive bought birkins both boutique and reseller, and i feel that the quality and variety were arguably better vintage before globalization and expansion of the brand. JMO of course.

Last edited:
I’ll probably get one more Jumbo Classic Flap and then I’ll make the official switch to Hermes.

The whole experience of getting my So Black Coco Handle was a nightmare. It’s a beautiful bag and I love it so dearly, but it took 3 replacements to get my hands on the best one.

So to those who got the So Black Coco Handle from 20A - please thoroughly inspect your bag and make sure there aren’t any scuffs on the strap’s leather and chips on the hardware. Looks like there’s a quality control issue on these bags and getting a brand new bag in poor condition is UNACCEPTABLE. Luckily the after sales department and the boutique manager were cooperative in the whole replacement process. Although they have no choice because the poor quality control on the bags was evident! Maybe due to the pandemic, the production of the bags was affected? Or maybe not because Chanel has been having quality issues for so long anyways. With the crazy price increases you’d think the quality of the bags would improve.

In the end, I chose to keep the best replacement because I’ve waited for so long to get this particular Coco Handle combo (quilted caviar + black hardware) and the sheen on the leather is stunning. Right now I see no flaws. It’s a beautiful bag. But yeah, I think I am done with Chanel for now.
You know...I’m reading your post and it seems like I inspected mine before leaving the store. However. One of the stickers fell off and now I see chipping. So outrageous I’m debating if I should return or exchange. I’ve wanted a so black for so long though.

Attachments

• 732AA063-AFCB-483C-BFF7-5D67A7196558.jpeg
    732AA063-AFCB-483C-BFF7-5D67A7196558.jpeg
    254.7 KB · Views: 169
  • E3FDF07A-4E5A-4202-9DD7-1EDA7785EEC8.jpeg
    E3FDF07A-4E5A-4202-9DD7-1EDA7785EEC8.jpeg
    189.9 KB · Views: 166
You know...I’m reading your post and it seems like I inspected mine before leaving the store. However. One of the stickers fell off and now I see chipping. So outrageous I’m debating if I should return or exchange. I’ve wanted a so black for so long though.
I’m so sorry! That looks bad. I would try to get it exchanged first but make sure the replacement has no chipping and is in great condition.

I do have to say that I am worried that the hardware of my So Black Coco Handle will chip in time because it does seem like it came from a bad batch. My other So Black bags are still in great condition and have no chipping. So fingers crossed for my Coco Handle!

Reactions: vivaciousbev1
I buy from the boutique and preloved. There are lots of choices for shoppers today. And, I thought I was done with chanel... in 2008, but somehow, I’m still wearing and buying RTW and bags. Chanel is a fashion house. Hermes is a leather house. @TraceySH and other tpfers have said it more eloquently. So, IMO they can happily coexist with a lot of other stuff in a balanced wardrobe. And, I do think 12K usd is extremely steep for a RTW lesage trim jacket

I’m over Chanel and other handbags (for now). I’ve recently realized that no matter how beautiful they are to look at or carry, or sit in my closet... more purses don’t bring me more happiness. Our society doesn’t help my feeling of disdain with all the constant displays of showing off on social media. I like checking in on TPF and exploring my feed on IG to look at stylish influencers, but I say no to new handbag purchases at this time.

I buy from the boutique and preloved. There are lots of choices for shoppers today. And, I thought I was done with chanel... in 2008, but somehow, I’m still wearing and buying RTW and bags. Chanel is a fashion house. Hermes is a leather house. @TraceySH and other tpfers have said it more eloquently. So, IMO they can happily coexist with a lot of other stuff in a balanced wardrobe. And, I do think 12K usd is extremely steep for a RTW lesage trim jacket
And I know you wear it all IMPECCABLY! :heart:

• Love
Reactions: 880
I’m over Chanel and other handbags (for now). I’ve recently realized that no matter how beautiful they are to look at or carry, or sit in my closet... more purses don’t bring me more happiness. Our society doesn’t help my feeling of disdain with all the constant displays of showing off on social media. I like checking in on TPF and exploring my feed on IG to look at stylish influencers, but I say no to new handbag purchases at this time.
I keep thinking conspicuous consumption will take a big hit here very soon, if it hasn't already, because of the massive decimation of our morale, our economy, jobs, health, businesses, etc. Plenty of people can still afford brands like Chanel, but Chanel isn't a quiet brand. I am finding myself terribly uncomfortable thinking about wearing flashy items (except to maybe my club for dinner - which I relish because otherwise they are collecting dust) because of how insensitive it feels. Like a "let them eat cake" kind of thing. Classist. I am wanting to blend in more vs stand out, and it's been a strange and slow progression that I didn't realize until it was fomented. I have to believe I am not alone in this one, and I think my attraction towards Chanel conflicts with my sensitivity towards all the unrest going on right now. Not judging anyone who is rocking it all, kick ass and take names! But the big CC for me is seeming particularly gaudy right now. I would love to hate Chanel, I would love to walk away! Haha. Who knows if I will ever or can ever :smile:.

And I know you wear it all IMPECCABLY! :heart:
Thank you so much for such a great compliment! Did you decide whether to get your get your colorful bag trio? Or am I mixing things up? For quieter brands, I’m really enjoying brunello cuchinelli and Akris right now, as chanel collections seem to emphasize logo items more than ever. Hugs

Reactions: TraceySH and keodi
Thank you so much for such a great compliment! Did you decide whether to get your get your colorful bag trio? Or am I mixing things up? For quieter brands, I’m really enjoying brunello cuchinelli and Akris right now, as chanel collections seem to emphasize logo items more than ever. Hugs
Heading back over to Delvaux! And a brand called Moreau Paris. Have you heard of them?

• Love
They have all sorts of options on 24s so perusing and shipping is easy!
Thank you! I’m thinking about duret Paris and now moreau! I love the Moreau bull calf tote that’s reversible with retractable handles, and think my mom would love one also ( i love the blue one and the barenia too) in a lighter leather bc she complains of bag weight. The double sens was too heavy for her bc double leather lining) have to admit, I also love the flashier delvaux limited edition pieces made of PVC and other materials.

Last edited:
off to google Moreau Paris :biggrin: thank you!

Their tote is honestly lovely and uses bull skin, which is quite unique. So it is much more durable than say a thin calfskin!

Moreover the handles are hand stitched... For a bit more then a neverfull and 1/3 of the price of a double senses, it blows the competition out of the park!

• Love