Is anyone just over Chanel?

Are you over Chanel?

• Yes absolutely, I don't feel it anymore, and I plan on buying another brand

Votes: 223 20.5%
  • Yes, I don't feel it anymore, but I also don't plan on buying another brand

Votes: 69 6.3%
  • No, I will always love Chanel and will pay whatever price they ask for it

Votes: 40 3.7%
  • No, I love Chanel and the designs but price is a barrier, so I'll be more selective about purchases

Votes: 756 69.5%

• Total voters
I declared myself over it just over a week ago when I AGAIN had the worse service…But then I got a new SA and in the space of three weeks have bought two blazers/jackets, two trainers, ballet flats and a few bags. So clearly not fully over it lol. But also in that same time, I have rehomed a shoulder bag, a coco handle, a cardholder and planning to also to do the same with two identical shop totes. Once I get a nice bejewelled classic style evening bag and a beige clair then I have reached purse peace with Chanel only because I have a nice enough collection. Nothing else would really sway me, because I don’t need more classics and that’s what I like. All the items I have rehomed and previously sold (some I regret) have all been to get a variety of bags with different colours, leathers and classic styles and not have the same of everything. It’s hard because I am ‘neutral’ person. But I think I now have a good collection and the items above are the only ones, which I think are missing. I have recently realised, I am never going to find the right type of shoulder bag that I want from Chanel, so I need to give up on that. Hence, rehoming the two shop totes and this will be the 4th shop tote I have rehomed, so I am finally learning my lesson. Albeit, a little too late lol

Lately when I buy from Chanel it feels rushed and less joyful. It is not necessarily about the price itself but how quickly it went up, along with the long queues outside the boutiques and the pushy SAs. It doesn’t feel luxurious as it used to be and it saddens me knowing that they will do another crazy increase again and again, without stating the reasons.

That said, I still love love the quality of their shoes and will continue to buy them when something is great.

I say this one as I feel like I have a good collection now, medium black CF, small Ecru CF, mini top handle in navy, black WOC and a pink seasonal bag. If I would in the future I would only add another mini top handle or an evening clutch. Otherwise I think I have enough CC bags now. I am not into collecting a rainbow of colours in the same size and always carrying CC when going out. I like a variety.

If I was starting new I would still buy at these prices maybe one or two bags instead of the above and focus on other brands on the market (not Hermes) like BV, Dior, Gucci and Prada etc.

I love Chanel but it's like @Gigi_90 says, the speed of the price increases has left me feeling uncomfortable and I can't help but feel like it's insulting to its customers. Knowing that I could have purchased the same or a similar piece for thousands of dollars cheaper just two years ago, it makes me feel like it's not really worth what I'm paying for it and I'm being taken advantage of. No customer wants to feel like they're being exploited, it dampens the whole purchasing experience so I've started gravitating towards other brands.

I'd like to say yes, but I'm not. While the price increases make me a bit more selective over what I buy, even more reason is that I have purchased quite a few things over the past few years, so am more selective mainly due to not needing to add much more to my collection.
I do feel like they still have a good selection of classic and also fun/on trend styles, and that's what keeps me most interested in the brand. I think they can cater to a broad audience and various age groups.

Credits to @880 for bringing our attention to this FT article. Sharing here because in this thread @ntntgo and @TraceySH discussed the IPO possibility. Some bits below I found interesting (for information and discussion purposes only; all rights go to FT and its writer):

Chanel boss seeks to put IPO rumours ‘to rest’​

Chief executive Leena Nair insists that French luxury group will remain ‘a private, independent company’

Chanel has ruled out an initial public offering, insisting that it can hold on to its privately owned status and remain the world’s second-biggest luxury brand.

The sector has remained resilient despite the pandemic, the war in Ukraine and a surge in inflation that has squeezed consumer confidence. Chanel reported sales of $15.6bn in 2021, the latest annual results it has published, up 22.9 per cent from pre-pandemic levels and making it second only to Louis Vuitton among luxury brands by revenue.

I see the return of China. I see the pent-up demand, the pursuit of self-indulgence,” she said in her first interview since joining the 113-year-old brand in January last year. Asia-Pacific, led by China, accounts for more than half of Chanel’s annual revenues.

But she warned that the US, where sales growth is plateauing for rival LVMH, “is going through this phase where nobody is really sure whether to be optimistic or pessimistic”. Chanel this week revealed that the president of its US business was departing after 16 years.

She said the company had to “encourage buying less but better quality” in order to “decouple” revenue growth from sales volumes, “and we have to invest in carbon capture technologies”.

The prices of core Chanel products have risen significantly since the start of the pandemic, with some handbags now selling for 74 per cent more than they did in 2019 in the UK, according to Jefferies analysts.

Top spenders — known in the industry as very important customers or VICs — are becoming ever more important to the sector, with the top 2 per cent of spenders now accounting for 40 per cent of luxury sales, up from 35 per cent in 2009, according to Bain.

To serve such customers better, Chanel has opened a number of “salons privés” within existing boutiques in Asia, Europe and the US.
“There is a focus on ultimate client experience in fashion,” Nair said. “More and more we have to segment different kinds of clients.

We’ve got to think about who are the clients who really get the Chanel experience and are expecting something more refined, more sophisticated.”

---

Incidentally, during a work trip in Hong Kong I did notice the immense popularity of C products. They have huge staying power and influence there (and I assume Asia in general) and I reckon that people aren't going to stop buying because of quality tissues a couple of us discuss here on a forum.

I don't think I'll ever be over Chanel. I have a very small, edited collection, so I've always been very selective with my purchases. I mean, it has to be love at first sight, and then a few days/weeks of contemplation before I spend that kind of money! As disappointing as their frequent and drastic price increases are, if I love an item THAT much, I'll add it to my collection. Of course the cost will always sting, but that's more reason for me to be even more selective.

Last edited:
Reactions: GG5
For many of us, the damage is done wrt poor quality and far too much dilution of the brand. It just doesn’t feel special or exclusive anymore. I was at SCP yesterday and walked past Chanel with zero interest. (Ok, I did turn my head back to check out the pretty cool black sequin flap in the display, but not enough to tempt me to stand in line for a closer look).

One thing I don’t understand is people saying they don’t want to “play the game” with Hermes. There are no games. You either love the brand or you don’t. If you’re just after a bag, then you’re buying it for the status, not the love of the bag/brand.

For many of us, the damage is done wrt poor quality and far too much dilution of the brand. It just doesn’t feel special or exclusive anymore. I was at SCP yesterday and walked past Chanel with zero interest. (Ok, I did turn my head back to check out the pretty cool black sequin flap in the display, but not enough to tempt me to stand in line for a closer look).

One thing I don’t understand is people saying they don’t want to “play the game” with Hermes. There are no games. You either love the brand or you don’t. If you’re just after a bag, then you’re buying it for the status, not the love of the bag/brand.
I don't know if I agree that people want the bag just for "status" .. yes I'm sure that many do play the game for that reason, but there are definitely people like me who admire a Birkin for it's superior quality, the fact that it's a classic and an heirloom piece that can be passed down to my daughters. But at the same time, I'm not into their jewelry, rtw, dishes, etc. I find very limited items useful and worth spending on, like belts and shoes but I'd never be able to get a bag offer with such limited purchases. Therefore, no point for me even attempting to "play the game" and no way would I pay reseller prices. With Chanel, I appreciate that I can buy only what I'm interested in, and I really love a lot of their handbags, just have to be very selective due to quality control.