Is anyone just over Chanel?

Are you over Chanel?

• Yes absolutely, I don't feel it anymore, and I plan on buying another brand

Votes: 223 20.5%
  • Yes, I don't feel it anymore, but I also don't plan on buying another brand

Votes: 69 6.3%
  • No, I will always love Chanel and will pay whatever price they ask for it

Votes: 40 3.7%
  • No, I love Chanel and the designs but price is a barrier, so I'll be more selective about purchases

Votes: 756 69.5%

• Total voters
I’ve mostly worn my reissues as they make more sense in my everyday life. Most of the classic flaps are not being used at all. Why buy more? My sense of taste is evolving rapidly on top of that. I’ve bought several Loewes and Loro Piana bags. Superior quality to many seasonal Chanels. Chanel are just ok for me now/unfortunately doesn’t excite me anymore. Life is simpler now.

I am new to Chanel. I come to Chanel because of its interesting creative aesthetic bags and good resale value! I tried to buy a classic flap bag many many a times but the design frankly do not appeal to me at all. So I was surprised so many people are attracted to the classic flap bags....then did i know Chanel bags were popular because of them(?!) I guess just like LV, now the market is flooded with classic flaps so they are getting boring to look at.

However I still like Chanel's designs....but probably the vintage ones as they are far more durable and interesting. The price hikes do affect the vintage market too. So I limit myself to the number of Chanel bags I must have. The magic number is 5.

That's me just 3 months ago. Saying CF are boring, nevertheless I bought 3 preloved CF to "try" if I will love them. Chanel bags even in the preloved market are super expensive! Yes, the CF are indeed very beautiful but I do not love them as much as I want to. I lost interest in a while, and sold all of them away at a lost.

I said I want to keep 5 Chanel bags. But I find 5 bags are too many to own. So, I sold all my CF and other Chanel animal skin bags, only keep a fabric bag which I love to the core!

Now I only own 1 Chanel fabric bag and I use it a a lot.

In the process of buying and selling Chanel, I learnt a lot about Chanel. Now I still like to watch Chanel stuff on you-tubes and read its stories. Its a very interesting brand, but too bad, its non animal versions are too few.

I do try to like other brand bags, but I only like Chanel because of its design and resale value. Anyway i am happy to have my one and only fabric bag :smile:

Not over the brand aesthetics (yet)…although my purchases have fallen off a cliff since last year.

I have only bought one classic this year and zero fashion bags so far.
I was smitten by a few bags that I wasn’t able to purchase easily (so black 19 and possibly the 22P pink).

In years past I would have spent many hours/days to track them down. The prices and the process (e.g. random purchase limit changes, inconsistent policies, etc.) just took the joy away and my “fomo” was relatively short lived. I have my eye on one classic from 22A so we will see where I end up!

So…I feel I am over the Chanel ”drama” but not the products if that makes sense…

I only got into handbags recently, but like most people, I got into it because of the Chanel Classic flap. At that time I didn't know anything about handbags and I couldn't accept spending that kind of money, so I got a Kate Spade Natalia instead. Now I'm glad I made that decision, because I tried on a reissue and a Chanel 19 recently and it just did not work for me. Getting into Chanel now in the midst of all these price increases is the absolute worst time. Also, in just a few months time, I went from loving the look of a classic flap to being absolutely tired of seeing Chanel bags online. Social media is over-saturated with Chanel.

I'm tired of Chanel's new policies in regards to quotas and reservations. It's hard to keep track of so many rules. Luxury shopping should be a stress-free enjoyable experience. I bought a Gucci bag last week from my wonderful SA last week and it was such a nice experience. I currently have one medium classic flap, 2 minis, a seasonal hobo bag and a woc from Chanel. While I love my current Chanel pieces, I don't think I will buy more because of all these rules. Maybe they think a sense of exclusivity would drive more people? I don't know. For me, it's the opposite effect. I don't want to work so hard to spend thousands on a handbag.

I've been a long-time lover of Chanel and have a mix of both classic and seasonal bags. I used to rotate them regularly and enjoyed them much. However, in the past couple of years, looking at the quality issues, lack of interest from the corporate to repair older bags, unavailability of bags that I want at that time, over saturation of the brand, and misbehavior of the SAs, I've realized I've started drifting away from Chanel to different brands. I'm not looking to sell my collection, but I'm not interested in buying more.

I wonder if others are in the same boat or if it's just me?

I still love Chanel, as a luxury brand (I only go for it’s bags and shoes). I’ve long stopped buying new bags since pre pandemic. Actually I don’t really even put store/SA experience as priority (if these are good, I called it a little bonus). I’m not a patient shopper to begin with, I only WANT that bag/shoes. Therefore at times, I just go for the reseller route.

What would interest me now are much older series bags that have interesting colors or leather type/quality. Not into the late years pink/grey/caramel/rainbow/etc hype. I’ve curated from many bags and now own a small collection size. And I truly mostly love the classic flaps. Therefore my buying experience (on older series) has not put me into the recent quality issue agony.

Chanel was and is my fav bag brand till this day.

Last edited:
I love classic flaps and only bought Chanel (in terms of luxury items) the past years… but with a combination of very rude SAs at my local boutique, higher prices and somehow decreasing quality … I have started looking (and buying) at other brands. I still peek at boutiques when traveling and wouldn’t say no to a very inspiring item… but that’s a rare occurrence these days.
Editing to mention that their footwear is my favorite and that has not changed.

Still love Chanel but probably won’t be buying new from the boutiques anytime soon with the prices. Aside from one item where there was a frayed thread after a couple years, I personally haven’t witnessed any decline in quality through the years (I own items ranging from the late 2000s to now). The preloved market is saturated and if there’s something I really want, it feels relatively easy to track it down. I’m not really into trends so I don’t feel the need to get whatever is the latest “it” bag. Except for one bag in my collection, everything is a “classic” style.

I still love Chanel, but I have no plans to buy more right now. My bags range from the 1980s (my mother's) to 2019. The last bag I bought was the Gabrielle, which I used only a few times. I stopped buying Chanel mainly because of the drop in quality and over saturation of the brand, everywhere I go there are people with Chanel bags.
I might buy a new Chanel backpack at some point, as mine is showing wear and tear. Now I'm trying to go over my bags and decide if I want to send any for consignment (need to be careful here as I already have some regrets), check which ones would benefit from a SPA service... I've been putting this task off for the last few months, but eventually it will be done.

I think I'm the opposite - I was over it for a while especially when VV first started but the past two collections have completely changed my mind. The RTW is so wearable and modern and the shoes and bags are amazing. I have fallen out of love with Hermes during this time!

Reactions: lvchanellvr