Is anyone just over Chanel?

Are you over Chanel?

• Yes absolutely, I don't feel it anymore, and I plan on buying another brand

Votes: 222 20.4%
  • Yes, I don't feel it anymore, but I also don't plan on buying another brand

Votes: 69 6.3%
  • No, I will always love Chanel and will pay whatever price they ask for it

Votes: 40 3.7%
  • No, I love Chanel and the designs but price is a barrier, so I'll be more selective about purchases

Votes: 756 69.5%

• Total voters
I am a CHANEL girl, always have been and do not ever see that changing. I flirted with other brands and regretted it. I bought a LV Neverfull bag a few years ago, loved it but sold it within six months as I began to notice the bag everywhere I went. Bought a brand new Hermes Kelly, utterly gorgeous, but it was just not me. It took over a year to sell which made me realise the resell market is awash with these bags. I consigned the bag in London for a year and it did not move, explored the idea of selling it at an auction in Paris/New York but looked at the sold prices of past handbag auctions and would have lost 50% of the original price. I eventually took it to Fashionphile's pop up in New York (I live in London and NYC) and they bought it outright giving me pretty much what I paid for it. I danced out of there, I was so happy. CHANEL and I feel right for each other. I do not love each collection and like others on here, sometimes question the price strategy of some items but it won't stop me buying the brand. To me, CHANEL complements my style rather than dominating it which I love.

I love chanel and love their new designs but the prices are insane also the quality is not as it used to be .specially when I compare the new classic bags with the exact same one i have from 7 years ago , the new ones aren’t as good the old caviar used to be softer than my new one I bought in 2019 .Also the lamp skin is not as soft , you can see the stitches,it reminds me replica bags or bags you find in a shoe stores .Also The gold hardware now it is either in champagne color or rustic Iknow a lot of people like it but I prefer my gold it to be more pigmented . Also their accessories fades out quickly unlike Lv and dior accessories they stayed the same .

As for hermes I have been buying from them for years but i am fed up with 1:1 ratio. My obsession made me give up buying jewelry from other brands . Now I am planing to switch to lv .Their quality is great and the price are within reason .

Reactions: keodi and 880
I definitely felt this way for the last 5 years....had not purchased anything from Chanel. I kept saying I was over it and how boring it was. But I recently got warped into it again despite the price increases haha. So I guess it comes and goes. Right now I'm oddly into it again...:doh:

anywhere. Seeing how many preloved items made me also realize they are not an "investment"
Bookie2020, ITA. chanel bags are not an investment. They are made of lamb skin, calfskin and other materials that are prone to wear. Some feel that if they spend 4-7K on a bag they are entitled to one without blemishes. another TPFEd on another thread put it his way: if you want something perfect, buy a diamond necklace. Or words to that effect. Chanel often uses delicate materials and you are paying for the fantasy of the aesthetic and the fun.
I do think their older RTW (Mainly jackets, pants, skirts for me) really lasts and wears like iron. Someone explained to me recently that Chanel no longer puts in as much seam allowance bc of the cost of the material and today’s consumer doesnt really care. (I have no idea if that rationale is true or not) going forward I may not buy as much Chanel, but I will have a good time with whatever I choose to purchase from the house.
saddle leather can be refurbished to perfection. But that isn’t the priority in this brand. JMO

@Stella0925, one of the reasons why I prefer the B30 or 28 kelly sellier is that the smaller bags tend to hold their shape better than the larger ones. But I do like the slouch of a lived in bag. Don’t know if yours was a B35, but I think due to their size and gravity, they slouch a bit more. Also, there are resellers who do not inflate prices. . . There are plenty of birkins and Kelly’s in beautiful condition at retail or below.

Last edited:
The problem is that their aesthetic isn't duplicated elsewhere. So if you're a Chanel-phile, and you decided to veer away from it, there's not really anything to fill that void. I sold ALL of my Chanel last year. And bought up a sh**ton of Hermes. I also had Dior, LV, Delvaux too. But here I am, back amassing a collection b/c without it, for me, it feels like a whole category in my wardrobe is missing!
TraceySH, Akris has come out with tweed moto jackets and leather dresses and skirts ;)

Someone explained to me recently that Chanel no longer puts in as much seam allowance bc of the cost of the material and today’s consumer doesnt really care. (I have no idea if that rationale is true or not) going forward I may not buy as much Chanel, but I will have a good time with whatever I choose to purchase from the house.

Interesting... Made me think. Who anymore takes clothes in and out depending on weight changes? or takes them to alter ever so slightly to keep them up with trends in hemlines, cut, proportions... I bet it is true that not many clients nowadays looks at seam allowances before making a purchase decision. Times have changed.

• Love
Reactions: keodi and 880
Interesting... Made me think. Who anymore takes clothes in and out depending on weight changes? or takes them to alter ever so slightly to keep them up with trends in hemlines, cut, proportions... I bet it is true that not many clients nowadays looks at seam allowances before making a purchase decision. Times have changed.
Doni, the modern rationale would be that it’s more sustainable and amortizes cost per wear :smile: Chanel has repeated classic jacket and dress styles for decades. And I almost think the Chanel boucle cloth wears better than some of the bags.
during covid, I want want to support my local dry cleaner/local tailor and cobbler, so naturally I turned to my closet first. JMO of course! :smile:

Doni, the modern rationale would be that it’s more sustainable and amortizes cost per wear :smile: Chanel has repeated classic jacket and dress styles for decades. And I almost think the Chanel boucle cloth wears better than some of the bags.
during covid, I want want to support my local dry cleaner/local tailor and cobbler, so naturally I turned to my closet first. JMO of course! :smile:
Absolutely! But I think it just doesn't happen that way nowadays... Couple of days ago, I was reading an article about Italian fashion personalities reflecting on the industry post corona and beyond live shows. Giorgio Armani was saying, that everything changed when high fashion started to behave like fast fashion. And that is where we are now, but indeed, it is maybe the time for change.

Myself, I remember I used to bring clothes back to my hometown. But since my mother seamstress passed away, I never established that sort of relationship with anyone, it just was not relevant or a thing anymore. In my mothers time, you had a seamstress who knew you well, your body, your personality, your likes and dislikes, and you kind of worked with her to build the wardrobe each season (and there were only two distinct seasons). Things were repaired, altered, repurposed... somehow we have to get back to that.

Also agree with you on Chanel boucle. I have always wanted a Chanel fabric bag, never got round to it some how (if you don't count denim, which is NOT the same :P)

Last edited:
Chanel is my true bag love, I have brief flings with others (Philo Celine, Gucci a few years ago, LV here and there, etc) but I always come back to Chanel. I bought a Picotin and a Garden Party and feel meh about them, I don’t get why people say H quality is untouchable. I mean they are fine but it’s not like they’re made by angels using magical clouds.

For now I’m kind of over luxury in general due to the pandemic, but that will probably change next year.

I got the one bag I wanted from Chanel (flirted with the idea of a medium navy flap); a black medium CCH with light gold hardware, so I think I'm done before I really even started. I was never really a Chanel girl; thought the classic flap, logo and iconic quilts were too ubiquitous (I'm not a fan of ubiquitous products, especially at that price point) regardless if it was fake/inspired/authentic. The CCH I purchased, I had to inspect it like a forensic pathologist before I could take her home; this is due to the notorious and rather infamous reputation Chanel has with the quality of their bags/accessories. When I purchased from other brands (e.g. Dior, Mulberry, etc.), I never had to go this extent. When I'm interested in purchasing something, I want to enjoy the experience of it and not have to go into forensic pathologist mode during my shopping trip.

That said, I'm not going to say I will never buy another handbag from Chanel again but in the mean time, their quality, designs and colours are just not really appealing to me at this point. I'm going to venture out into other brands like Hermes and Valextra where their designs and quality speaks to me more at the price point they're charging.

I thought I have given up Chanel because of the crazy price increase recent years. Unfortunately, don’t know how it happened but I was thinking to get a small CF. I want one with classic look which is missing in my collection today. I have a reissue medium, a GST and a WOC. Should I really spend so much $ again on a small CF if I already have a reissue and a WOC? Please help me.

Of course if I could choose I would want a B30 or B35, But it’s hard to get one if no relationship with SA. Pre-loved is not what I would consider neither.

please share your thoughts.