Is anyone just over Chanel?

Are you over Chanel?

• Yes absolutely, I don't feel it anymore, and I plan on buying another brand

Votes: 223 20.5%
  • Yes, I don't feel it anymore, but I also don't plan on buying another brand

Votes: 69 6.3%
  • No, I will always love Chanel and will pay whatever price they ask for it

Votes: 40 3.7%
  • No, I love Chanel and the designs but price is a barrier, so I'll be more selective about purchases

Votes: 756 69.5%

• Total voters
I keep thinking conspicuous consumption will take a big hit here very soon, if it hasn't already, because of the massive decimation of our morale, our economy, jobs, health, businesses, etc. Plenty of people can still afford brands like Chanel, but Chanel isn't a quiet brand. I am finding myself terribly uncomfortable thinking about wearing flashy items (except to maybe my club for dinner - which I relish because otherwise they are collecting dust) because of how insensitive it feels. Like a "let them eat cake" kind of thing. Classist. I am wanting to blend in more vs stand out, and it's been a strange and slow progression that I didn't realize until it was fomented. I have to believe I am not alone in this one, and I think my attraction towards Chanel conflicts with my sensitivity towards all the unrest going on right now. Not judging anyone who is rocking it all, kick ass and take names! But the big CC for me is seeming particularly gaudy right now. I would love to hate Chanel, I would love to walk away! Haha. Who knows if I will ever or can ever :smile:.
I agree and also all the you tubers or IG users showing how many bags they have I am getting tired of seeing everyone wearing a classic flap it makes me want to sell mine. I only wear a reissue which isn't much better but the quilts are getting played out.

Thank you! I’m thinking about duret Paris and now moreau! I love the Moreau bull calf tote that’s reversible with retractable handles, and think my mom would love one also ( i love the blue one and the barenia too) in a lighter leather bc she complains of bag weight. The double sens was too heavy for her bc double leather lining) have to admit, I also love the flashier delvaux limited edition pieces made of PVC and other materials.

There’s a small artisan shop in my town that started making exotic leather watch straps years ago and since has started doing belts and even bags.

Everything is hand-stitched and sometimes I scroll through his Instagram because there’s so many amazing things.

Plus for those that have an H belt kit, he offers replacement straps in all sorts of skins that H might not offer such as toad!

https://www.aaronbespoke.com/wallets

BE190226-E474-46D9-981F-35163C58C1C6.jpeg

I’ll probably get one more Jumbo Classic Flap and then I’ll make the official switch to Hermes.

The whole experience of getting my So Black Coco Handle was a nightmare. It’s a beautiful bag and I love it so dearly, but it took 3 replacements to get my hands on the best one.

So to those who got the So Black Coco Handle from 20A - please thoroughly inspect your bag and make sure there aren’t any scuffs on the strap’s leather and chips on the hardware. Looks like there’s a quality control issue on these bags and getting a brand new bag in poor condition is UNACCEPTABLE. Luckily the after sales department and the boutique manager were cooperative in the whole replacement process. Although they have no choice because the poor quality control on the bags was evident! Maybe due to the pandemic, the production of the bags was affected? Or maybe not because Chanel has been having quality issues for so long anyways. With the crazy price increases you’d think the quality of the bags would improve.

In the end, I chose to keep the best replacement because I’ve waited for so long to get this particular Coco Handle combo (quilted caviar + black hardware) and the sheen on the leather is stunning. Right now I see no flaws. It’s a beautiful bag. But yeah, I think I am done with Chanel for now.
Wow, I just got a mini (small now) coco handle in black lghw, i see a flaw as soon as i open it. It doesnt look like my lilac and the corners are smothen when it 20K, suppose to be a brand new bag. I asked my SA if he got another one, no but he wants me to return back to him so he can sell it to others. it defective got corner wear why will you sell it. Aint thats crazy, he shouldnt even send it to me with this condition. so disappointed with Chanel quality and price.
There’s a small artisan shop in my town that started making exotic leather watch straps years ago and since has started doing belts and even bags.

Everything is hand-stitched and sometimes I scroll through his Instagram because there’s so many amazing things.

Plus for those that have an H belt kit, he offers replacement straps in all sorts of skins that H might not offer such as toad!

https://www.aaronbespoke.com/wallets

View attachment 4891419
wow, so pretty

Still picking up a couple pairs of shoes here and there from Chanel but bags wise I’ve swung back to H (started the collection a few years ago with a vintage Kelly). A few pieces still catch my eye, but my bags end up pretty beat up & so far the only Chanel that’s held up to the abuse is my reissue 227.

Reactions: 880

Plus for those that have an H belt kit, he offers replacement straps in all sorts of skins that H might not
Thank you! I’m eyeing the teal stingray!

• Wow
Reactions: Christofle
I think I'll go to Hermes more than Chanel because if I did'nt experience it myself I will not believe others. I got a brand new 20K mini(small) black lghw coco handle this past Monday. So excited to open it and everyday I knew once I open the box their something wrong about it. The shape is not the same as my 20A lilac its scoping on the middle on both front and back and I can probably accept that because I love it to so much but the 4 corners are all smoothen and when I asked my SA if he got another one he said NO, he wants me to return it back to him to sell it to others with all the flaws that the bag got. I brought it to my other SA in the boutique and guess what theyre saying its not a corner wear its the way it was made, its handmade. its smooth no pebble, i light it with the flashlight but cant capture in the photos so I decided to bring it personally. Definitely i cannot agree on that. They will still sell it to others who couldnt care less about the quality of it. I went to Hermes and got myself TPM and more happy because the quality is a lot better. I still love all my chanel purses but i dont think I will purchase anything from them for now. Quality control is definitely not there anymore. Thanks for letting me voiceout my disappointment on this brand.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 7.48.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 7.48.22 PM.png
    163.3 KB · Views: 114
This is a bit of an interesting read, & I check this site daily for great accounts of what is going on legally in the world of fashion.

Of note:

If this is true, then they probably want most of us to get over it. I would say good job then, Chanel.

If this is true, then they probably want most of us to get over it. I would say good job then, Chanel.
Exactly. Again, ambivalence on my part, because I do like some of the bags (I used to love, now it's "oh yeah, that one's actually ok") but my favorite SA, out of HI, walked in one day about 6 weeks ago to the Mgrs confiscating SA phones, refusing to let their clients know what was going on, never to return to the store. He worked there 10 years. I had reserved for seasons into next spring, the boutique ordered things specifically for me. He just....disappeared. Just an example of the funny business that goes on there. It's like a Ferrari exterior built on a Honda chassis.

I have been buying less Chanel lately mostly because I have quite an extensive collection and don’t need any more. Occasionally there’s something I really want, but I’m not in the phase of my collection where I need more. This is not the same as being over Chanel. I’m buying Hermes a bit more because I have fewer and can justify adding these more, but I will never be someone who sells all my Chanels and moves on to Hermes. For me they are vastly different offerings and I wouldn’t want a purely Hermes collection. I love the Chanel bags I have and am glad I started collecting 5 years ago and not now!

About a year ago, I sold most of my Chanel collection, determined to build up my Hermes collection. I sold 6-7 bags and all I have to show for it is... 2 Hermes vintage kelly 28 bags. Now they are stunning, don't get me wrong, but it's really not as simple as switching to Hermes from Chanel, especially if you buy preowned. I would say 3 Chanel bags, price point wise, and in the preloved market (I have no interest in playing the 1:1 H game and also don't have a boutique near me to even attempt to play it), nets you about 1 Hermes birkin or Kelly (that is, if you are after the smaller sizes - I knew I wanted nothing bigger than the K28). As much as I wanted the K25 or B25, that would be around ~5 Chanel bags equivalent, which is simply ridiculous imo. They are beautiful bags, but unfortunately, after 10 months or so, I found myself gravitating back towards Chanel and even LV. Found a new every day bag at LV (and absolutely love it, after switching out the strap to work for my petite frame). The kellys ARE beautiful to look at but don't get much use for my lifestyle. I also just bought a Chanel BA in (true) burgundy, a color I've wanted forever. At this point, I know that Chanel classics do nothing for me - I'm more edgy in my style and find them boring. I have one classic small just to have, but it sits on the shelf. Some seasonal bags are beautiful and if a color I've been lusting after comes along, I will definitely pick it up; just wish more bags were still lined in leather though, would feel more worth the price point.

Will also say I am slowly finding a new love in vintage Chanel bags - really cool styles that I find are much cooler than the classic flaps - again, ALL personal opinion, please don't take offense. Unfortunately even those are going way up in price, as forum posters here have noted!

Also very sad they discontinued chanel caviar minis - it's like they don't care about their customer and what THEY want - definitely alienated me for a while, and I know I'm not alone.

Last edited:
This is a bit of an interesting read, & I check this site daily for great accounts of what is going on legally in the world of fashion.

Of note:
Thank you for sharing. I really dislike this of Chanel. As a consumer I should be able to resell my item if I want to and to any preloved resellers. If I am able to even resell my house why not a handbag?? Heck I can even sell my debt (refinance).

I used to think Chanel was the only luxury brand I would buy, but because of their behavior I have turned to other brands, even though these brands don’t have the same prestige, I like that I don’t constantly have to worry about the bag and I see it less often. More than anything the only thing I like about Chanel now is that I brought my handbag at much lower price. Chanel has lost its prestige if it had any.

I’m not into Hermes, we’ll maybe one bag if I am lucky, but I love Dior, way more lux than Chanel. Don’t care about resell value anymore, it’s a bag not an asset.

I used to think Chanel was the only luxury brand I would buy, but because of their behavior I have turned to other brands, even though these brands don’t have the same prestige, I like that I don’t constantly have to worry about the bag and I see it less often. More than anything the only thing I like about Chanel now is that I brought my handbag at much lower price. Chanel has lost its prestige if it had any.
I feel the same way!

Thank you for sharing. I really dislike this of Chanel. As a consumer I should be able to resell my item if I want to and to any preloved resellers. If I am able to even resell my house why not a handbag?? Heck I can even sell my debt (refinance).

I’m not into Hermes, we’ll maybe one bag if I am lucky, but I love Dior, way more lux than Chanel. Don’t care about resell value anymore, it’s a bag not an asset.
+1 on everything you said! Except I do like Hermes, but not enough fun to be an "only" brand. Dior is fabulous!

For many Chanel lost its lackluster several years ago. The quality & the workmanship doesn't hold a candle to bags
going as far back as to when KL took over the brand.
While Chanel is still desirable for some, many of us have moved on to various other brands that are better
quality & under the radar.
Personally, would rather have a Hermes bag than a multitude of mediocre quality Chanel bags.. JMO