I Just can't do Hermes...

mahbag! said:
just as you shouldn't assume someone is "playing the race card" when you don't know the whole story. it seems like you automatically assumed oprah was in the wrong based on your own prejudices.
no assumptions made, that was the story told. Maybe the media jumped to conclusions, but that's the story I heard. Nothing more, nothing less.

mahbag! said:
from what i know from the story, oprah didn't actually make an accusation about hermes being racist. i think you are assuming she did because she is african-american. like i said, i don't consider oprah to be frivolous; she wouldn't just say something or someone is racist just to make the other person look bad. so just like oprah or whoever has to make sure something is not a racial issue, people like you need to make sure to get facts straight, too.

LOL good lord girl! You are now assuming I'm a racist. I'm here to tell you I am so far from that. I am assuming she did, because in the article I read, it was mentioned. Just like everyone on here is discussing this, it came form somewhere, not in my head! I'm not just randomly making this up. I said in my rant that I didn't know what happened, it could be either, but if nothing was actually said to her, than i think she is just being paranoid. Clearly the woman _could_ have been racist, it happens, obviously. But if nothing was blatently said to Oprah...then what is there to talk about besides Oprah being a big baby about this. Why on earth would she have to make a whole show about how she didn't get into Hermes after hours, Poor Baby!!
It honestly breaks my heart.:suspiciou

And as far as facts, apparently you were there, so tell me exactly what happened then...Was something said to her or not??

I think Oprah said it was 'the most humiliating experience of her life'. I watched that show and I just think it was much ado about nothing, really. If the store was closed for a private function then it should remain close. I don't think other than being told 'sorry the store is closed' Oprah was told anything else. She never responded to what she was told by Hermes 'the store was closed for a private function'. She kept saying she saw 'other guests' in there, and why was she not allowed in? Perhaps she didn't buy Hermes' story?

Anyway, I was a little surprised that she made it a discussion topic on her show given how many other causes she is passionate about.

there could have been other people in the store, that came in before they closed. For example the store closes at 6 and they were there before 6 and she came after 6 , but they didn't leave yet. many stores close at 6 ( for example) and then don't let anymore people in, they wait for the rest of the people inside to leave.

mahbag! said:
just as you shouldn't assume someone is "playing the race card" when you don't know the whole story. it seems like you automatically assumed oprah was in the wrong based on your own prejudices.

Excuse me but that's all that was being talked about online, how Hermes was racially discriminating against Oprah. Now I believe that she probably kicked a fuss about not being let in after hours, which lead someone to say that it was probably racially motivated.
Quite possibly similar speculation on a fan board? :P

I don't believe Oprah would continue giving HER business to Hermes if she had been turned down because of her colour (race is such a fake-o concept anyways), which she has done since if I remember another article saying. So people boycotting because of some incident that didn't really happen the way it was reported is just... :lol:

Anyways, if Oprah and anyone else boycott Hermes, more power to them and more importantly, MORE BIRKIN CHOICES FOR THE REST OF US!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

allison said:
I know when I worked retail, I didn't care if you were Britney freakin' Spears, I wanted to go home so I didn't let you in. .

I can't see any store allowing you to get away with that if a celebrity comes in. I don't think Oprah was being frivolous. I agree with someone else who said that we all need to just realize that celebrities DO get special treatment. As long as I'm not mistreated, I don't see any harm in allowing Oprah to step in and buy a simple watch. There are no reports that she did something like demand that the customers in there already leave or something. She wasn't going to inconvenience them. Its not like she's the president...)now THAT is an inconvenience when the president wants to go shopping or enter some other establishment on a whim). Why would a store with merchandise as expensive as Hermes turn away a billionaire? Who else is going to buy $ 50,000 Birkin? Oprah can buy the entire inventory of the store and then some. And I don't entirely buy the idea that they had no idea who she was because she is known as a serious fan of Hermes and she goes shopping in France for couture clothing quite often. They know who she is in those high end boutiques.

I could see if Oprah was a celeb who never gave time or money to worthy and important causes. I could see if she was known for being nasty and demanding. But to date I have never heard ANYONE say that she was less than pleasant. And that SA in Hermes really missed out because Oprah is known for being VERY generous to helpful SA and others alike.

One of the main reasons the race card was played was because in the original story about the Hermes incident, the SA allegedly did not want to let Oprah in because they thought that she and her group were a bunch of North Africans who had been stealing from Hermes. THAT is why the race card even came up in the first place.

And to the person who thinks that racist behavior is okay from SA, while I don't always blow up and create a scene, I will sometimes make a point to let management know. Its not enough to just find someone else to wait on me. There should not be people in stores PERIOD with those antiquated attitudes. Why should I have to search all over the store to find ONE person to wait on me because the SA standing right in front of me assumes I won't buy anything because I am black?

Perja said:
I'd say either let it go, since she got perfectly good service from a normal, decent SA. If that hadn't been the case, then take it up to managment.

From my POV, there is a difference between seeing/experiencing racist acts as a private person and making a fuss about it because you're "famous". There are different ways of dealing with such situations.
I'm sure that Oprah must have said something to someone that originated that rumour. Maybe it was a genuine mistake (a moment of anger/dissapointment), maybe it was being a drama queen but her reaction about still shopping Hermes didn't touch quite as many people as the story of racist Hermes.

Here, clearly your friend and her mom were discriminated against because ONE SA was at the very least, a total b*tch. It's sad, it happens everywhere and I would have done something about it if I had heard the SA say that.
But it may have been the way they were dressed or whatever as well.
I tend to get that a lot when I go to stores, I look young, dressed casually, SAs tend to snif at me and whatnot. It's a different story when I pull out the cash.

Also, I agree with the statement that H's CEO had to placate Oprah but that isn't because they may/may not have done something wrong, it's because the US is a big consummer and many people there actually take to heart what she says.
It's good PR, not the sign of a guilty conscience.

The real person I pity here is the poor SA who probably got fired because some talk show hostess she'd never heard about wanted in after hours and got turned away.

You should never let behavior like this go - if in fact it is racism, ageism, sexism, etc. It perpetuates the problem. No generation will do better if it is allowed to continue. I will say I laugh when I hear that this was the most embarassing/humiliating moment in O's life. I mean a little black girl from MS!!!! Given some of the comments from southern residents in this thread I highly doubt that that is true.

No matter whatever happens between her & Hermes, I still love watching Oprah show. In my opinion, it is the media who creates a huge buzz about this. Along the way, there may be or might not be "true/false rumours." The Hermes incident has ended & Oprah had said "Buy....buy the birkins."

Anyway, the Hermes incident that occur to Oprah has got nothing to do with us for our love relationship with Hermes. Whenever the word "H....." mentioned, it immediately makes us say..."Wow........." & brings instant excitement to our hearts.:love: :love:

^^ totally true.

I think also we should not generalize about SAs. Each store might have different people and might get treated differently.

For me, since I'm the one buying, I care much about how the SAs treat me at that certain time.