I Just can't do Hermes...

monablu said:
seriously - I can't get with it. for those of you saying that there is no difference between celebrity clientelle and the average person are living somewhere in the midwest up on a hill somewhere - when you are at Oprah's level, you shop when and where you want.

I go shopping with many huge celebs and indeed you cannot go during normal business hours, you go either at 6 am before the store opens or in the evening after the store closes, sometimes in the middle of the night.

And yes, I will not give hermes my business - even if oprah took a good dose of ass kissing from the corporation herself.

this was in france though, how famous is she in france? We aren't talking about the U.S. and she had no prior arrangement with them to come after hours, Hermes was having a private party. Why does she pull out the racial card?

In France, she's a relative nobody, so stores are closed for "you and I" (and her because here she is one of us) after hours.

And to those who boycott Hermes because of it, well, I'm sorry you feel that way but do you really want a talk show hostess to be dictating your life?

Yes , in France, nobody knows her really (her show does not air)...so the SA probably didn't know who she was, she was like a regular customer. The store was closed and that's all.

I saw the show when she MADE Hermes representative apologize, I didn't know her so well at that time, it didn't make me want watch the show. She seems so important here in the US.

Nini said:
Yes , in France, nobody knows her really (her show does not air)...so the SA probably didn't know who she was, she was like a regular customer. The store was closed and that's all.

I saw the show when she MADE Hermes representative apologize, I didn't know her so well at that time, it didn't make me want watch the show. She seems so important here in the US.

"Made" seems pretty extreme to me..do you really believe that Oprah can make a seemingly intelligent businessman apologize if he doesn't want to? That is absurd!!

lovebags said:
she is a very generous person whom donates millions of dollars every year worldwide to charities, she helped built and bought houses for victims of Hurricane Katrina and a list of other things.
quote]

Sorry, still not a fan. My favorite philanthropist is Bill Gates.

I think Oprah should be ashamed for trying to use her celebrity to demand special perks. I know that's what celebrities do but it doesn't make it right. The store was closed, come back when it's open. She acts as if she is one of the people and then totally overreacts when she is treated just like we would be. I'd never stop shopping at Hermes.

When a store's closed, they're closed...and not only closed, but had to prepare for an engagement. They do that for a reason and sometimes the till is just closed out, balanced, finalized and locked up for the day, whether it be a high end store or a grocery store, that's it. If I show up at Target at 9:01p, they're not going to make exceptions either. OK, so I'm not a celebrity but I'll probably buy things too. She may feel the right to feel jilted because they didn't make the exception and see her as God as her fans do, but to make it a big deal for upholding simple procedure sucks, whether it be a store that knows who she is or one that doesn't. If it made a difference to her, then it's her personal choice not to go but they didn't do anything abusive or out of the ordinary to turn it into some international story.

I've enjoyed her and her shows in the past and know she's done alot to help others, but this very small "situation" was a rub IMO. There are people out there that have not only given to the cause in private, but have gotten down and dirty in despicable conditions to help others also. That wouldn't have gotten them in after hours either. It might have been exceptional customer service had they let her in, but it's not bad customer service because they didn't.

I haven't followed this story (Oprah does air in the Netherlands,but I don't watch) but I've read the article.

I must say that Oprah is not the kind of person who creates huge celebrity scenes. i once went up the cable car to Table Mountain in Cape Town,South Africa and whereas they usually close the whole thing to teh public when I "celeb" goes up,Oprah just went up with everyone else (and her entourage.)

While I don't believe that special treatment for celebrities is fair,it is a fact of life and I cannot imagine that Victoria Beckham,for example,would have stood in front of closed doors,party or no party.

Plus,if the SA of Hermes stuck to her guns so strongly and was purely principled and in the right,why would the president of Hermes feel the need to say that she was wrong and to apologise on TV?

I have to laugh at opinions which seem to see him as some kind of victim here. He's a big,powerful businessman and if his SA had acted according to protocol and he had any backbone at all he would have been backing her up,not crawling and apologising.

Knowing Paris and the political situation in which it finds itsself today it is not at all inconceivable that this was a racial issue.

The guy did exactly what any smart businessmen would do in this situation..placate Oprah by apologizing for the situation. It would be stupid PR to not placate Oprah.

allison said:
Now if it were a store in the US, of course it would be a big deal and they might be deamed racist or whatever because it's always a race issue when you're denied :suspiciou.

Wow...SMH.:hrmm: I'm wondering if you'd ever believe that people of color are often discriminated against while shopping. Not everyone decides to play "the race card" because it's convenient. I hate the idea of someone dismissing me because of my race. But there have been plenty of situations where it's actually not in the person's head. I personally know a white SA who quit working at a certain department store because the manager (in a conversation that was "off the record") told her that she needed to watch the minority (blacks, in particular) more closely. Not just black shoplifters (as if that wouldn't be bad also), but ALL black people. In her opinion , ALL black people were suspect. I won't mention the name of the department store, but there were many complaints about this particular store and it was even mentioned in a story on 60 Minutes. Also, my husband's grandmother, who looks white (white skin, red hair, blue eyes) has told us so many stories about how people in certain stores will treat her a certain way because they thought she was white and they would even talk about black people (to her because they thought that she was white) as if they didn't belong in the store...black people who can afford to purchase items. Oh yeah...My mother had a student who worked at a department store for a few weeks and then he just abruptly quit his job. She asked him why and he said, "I just couldn't take it. They wanted me to watch all of the black people...even people who look and dress like you, Mrs. _____." (My mom is always very elegant.) Meanwhile, plenty of people who were not black were shoplifting. :lol:

I don't know what happened to Oprah...But I know what I've personally seen, heard and experienced. There has been so much research to prove that in many instances, shopping minorites often (not always, buy often) get treated differently.

*SIGH* Know what? Nevermind...Think what you want.:biggrin:

curtism said:
i dont really care what oprah did.

I don't either. If Hermes was wrong, it's still hard for me to feel sorry for someone who couldn't get them to open their doors while they were closed. Whatever...I still want a Birkin.:lol:

For some reason, I thought it was Gail who mentioned race and not Oprah? That was the last thing I read or heard before I started ignoring the story.