I Just can't do Hermes...

Special treatment for special people, cool...but if it's not there, then accept it an move on. There's always the next day or even the rest of your life to go into a particular store. If there was truly racism then shame on Hermes, but I've peeked into closed shops where I wasn't let in because the SA had ended his 8 hr retail work day. I don't want to disregard the possibility of something heinous, but there was another very logical reason here, that I'm sure we've all experienced also.

Any rep no matter how powerful would have apologized for this. As high end as Hermes is, it's still a product in the competitive world of fashion, who's up against an iconic very public figure in the forbes top 40 that has a ton of influence on the buying public which includes figures of similar status who buy Hermes. It may not have been physical force, but pretty close. It would have been nice to let her in and truly wish they had, but they chose to keep their schedule so it should have ended quietly right there with a little grumbling.

here's what I say to all the whining and bellyaching on both sides..get over yourselves already...waahhhh! No one can know how it really happened so speculation is futile. People are racist. Many high end businesses are racist. Life is about who you know not what you know..most of the time. From what I understand Parisians (as a group tend to be uncomfortable with african americans/blacks). I was reading an article a few days ago about the first black woman to anchor some news program in France and what a big deal that still is today.( this woman is currently on the news) If any of this makes you not want to watch Oprah or buy from Hermes..I'm quite sure both of those entities will go on quite well without you.:amuse: and I mean that in the nicest possible way.

We'll never actually know the full story. However, it is pretty ballsy of Oprah to break out the race thing. Unless something was said to her, and if it was then she would have said on her show, then it was simply her assumption. In other words...all in her head. There is no doubt the possibility on both sides. But she is not a mind reader. Many peple in retail have been *****y to me during my life and I don't think "its the colour of my skin"....I think rather "what a *****".
So unless something was said, I'm going to go with she was just being paranoid. She also needs to make sure it WAS about race before she makes such accusations about Hermes. So no proof? Its too bad Hermes apologised for a SA doing her job, and proper protocol, he should have told her to go to hell.

Danica said:
We'll never actually know the full story. However, it is pretty ballsy of Oprah to break out the race thing. Unless something was said to her, and if it was then she would have said on her show, then it was simply her assumption. In other words...all in her head. There is no doubt the possibility on both sides. But she is not a mind reader. Many peple in retail have been *****y to me during my life and I don't think "its the colour of my skin"....I think rather "what a *****".
So unless something was said, I'm going to go with she was just being paranoid. She also needs to make sure it WAS about race before she makes such accusations about Hermes. So no proof? Its too bad Hermes apologised for a SA doing her job, and proper protocol, he should have told her to go to hell.

from what i know from the story, oprah didn't actually make an accusation about hermes being racist. i think you are assuming she did because she is african-american. like i said, i don't consider oprah to be frivolous; she wouldn't just say something or someone is racist just to make the other person look bad. so just like oprah or whoever has to make sure something is not a racial issue, people like you need to make sure to get facts straight, too.

Buttery said:
Wow...SMH.:hrmm: I'm wondering if you'd ever believe that people of color are often discriminated against while shopping. Not everyone decides to play "the race card" because it's convenient. I hate the idea of someone dismissing me because of my race. But there have been plenty of situations where it's actually not in the person's head. I personally know a white SA who quit working at a certain department store because the manager (in a conversation that was "off the record") told her that she needed to watch the minority (blacks, in particular) more closely. Not just black shoplifters (as if that wouldn't be bad also), but ALL black people. In her opinion , ALL black people were suspect. I won't mention the name of the department store, but there were many complaints about this particular store and it was even mentioned in a story on 60 Minutes. Also, my husband's grandmother, who looks white (white skin, red hair, blue eyes) has told us so many stories about how people in certain stores will treat her a certain way because they thought she was white and they would even talk about black people (to her because they thought that she was white) as if they didn't belong in the store...black people who can afford to purchase items. Oh yeah...My mother had a student who worked at a department store for a few weeks and then he just abruptly quit his job. She asked him why and he said, "I just couldn't take it. They wanted me to watch all of the black people...even people who look and dress like you, Mrs. _____." (My mom is always very elegant.) Meanwhile, plenty of people who were not black were shoplifting. :lol:

I don't know what happened to Oprah...But I know what I've personally seen, heard and experienced. There has been so much research to prove that in many instances, shopping minorites often (not always, buy often) get treated differently.

*SIGH* Know what? Nevermind...Think what you want.:biggrin:

I'm from the south, so there are a lot of racist here. The race card gets played too much to where it's like the story of The Boy Who Cried Wolf. I usually ignore it, but it's pretty lame when someone has to do that to make a point. I'm white and have been discriminated against, but you know what? I don't care and I move on.

allison said:
I'm from the south, so there are a lot of racist here. The race card gets played too much to where it's like the story of The Boy Who Cried Wolf. I usually ignore it, but it's pretty lame when someone has to do that to make a point. I'm white and have been discriminated against, but you know what? I don't care and I move on.

Well, I'm from the south, too. And so are all of the people that I mentioned. All I'm saying is that there are real cases of discrimination. When it really happens to a person, it should not be dismissed because of the false accusations of others. I don't know what happened to Oprah (probably nothing...she's probably just used to being treated special) but not everyone is crying wolf. And if someone is discriminated against, they have every right to make a complaint, especially if they receive less than adequate service.

That reminds me: In 2003, my good friend's mother (who is black) received a very generous gift card from her very wealthy husband to a certain department store.:love: She goes to use the gift card and is completely ignored by a certain SA (white). Another SA (also white) from another department just happens to show up. The SA who is ignoring them is overheard (by my friend's mother and the other SA) "They never buy anything anyway." Just so you know, my friend and her mother had never been in that particular department store (they had been in one in another state), so when the SA said "they never buy anything...", she was not referring to people she knew personally.:lol: Was she referring to women? Short people? People who shop in groups of two? :suspiciou Anyway, that SA went off somewhere, the other SA helped them (another SA was there, but she was helping someone else). After the SA helped them (my friend's mom spent about $4500.00), the SA apologized for the bad service they received, told my friend's mother that if she wanted to make a complaint, she (the SA) would be a witness to what she heard the other SA say. My friend's mother "let it go." It bothered her, but she let it go...just like plenty of people (black, white, whatever) do all of the time. Instead, she wrote a note to management about the excellent service she received from the nice SA and she wrote a thank-you to the SA...She always does that at her other favorite stores. She came back later for a private sale and the nice SA told her that "she" decided to let management know because it bothered her that anyone would treat a customer that way. The other SA was gone. I guess the race card was played for her...by a white person. :lol: The nice SA is still there are she continues to provide great service to my friend and her mom.

Do you think that a customer should just "let it go" when something like that happens? Or do you think that SA should be held accountable for bad service (which includes obvious discriminatory practices)? Just curious...would it bother you if you saw someone being treated that way?

Buttery said:
Do you think that a customer should just "let it go" when something like that happens? Or do you think that SA should be held accountable for bad service (which includes obvious discriminatory practices)? Just curious...would it bother you if you saw someone being treated that way?
No, it really wouldn't bother me. That person should move on to another SA who wants to help. I get dissreguarded in stores all the time. I just find someone else and if no one wants to help me, then I buy my item somewhere else. I don't get huffy puffy or make sure someone is held accountable. A person is responsible for their own actions and in a SA's case, they are punishing themselves by not helping to make commission. Maybe I just don't take things to heart and really don't care what other people think.

allison said:
No, it really wouldn't bother me. That person should move on to another SA who wants to help. I get dissreguarded in stores all the time. I just find someone else and if no one wants to help me, then I buy my item somewhere else. I don't get huffy puffy or make sure someone is held accountable. A person is responsible for their own actions and in a SA's case, they are punishing themselves by not helping to make commission. Maybe I just don't take things to heart and really don't care what other people think.

I've been ignored (for whatever reason) plenty of times and moved on plenty of times. I'm not talking about someone just being ignored, I'm talking about someone being ignored because, according to a certain SA, they fit into a certain category. The SA even stated such and was heard by several witnesses.

So, are you saying that you feel that a SA has every right to make certain decisions for a department store, like what types of people deserve good service? So, it's okay for a SA to discrimate? People should just take discrimination and move on?

Reactions: flwrbmb
Buttery said:

I'd say either let it go, since she got perfectly good service from a normal, decent SA. If that hadn't been the case, then take it up to managment.

From my POV, there is a difference between seeing/experiencing racist acts as a private person and making a fuss about it because you're "famous". There are different ways of dealing with such situations.
I'm sure that Oprah must have said something to someone that originated that rumour. Maybe it was a genuine mistake (a moment of anger/dissapointment), maybe it was being a drama queen but her reaction about still shopping Hermes didn't touch quite as many people as the story of racist Hermes.

Here, clearly your friend and her mom were discriminated against because ONE SA was at the very least, a total b*tch. It's sad, it happens everywhere and I would have done something about it if I had heard the SA say that.
But it may have been the way they were dressed or whatever as well.
I tend to get that a lot when I go to stores, I look young, dressed casually, SAs tend to snif at me and whatnot. It's a different story when I pull out the cash.

Also, I agree with the statement that H's CEO had to placate Oprah but that isn't because they may/may not have done something wrong, it's because the US is a big consummer and many people there actually take to heart what she says.
It's good PR, not the sign of a guilty conscience.

The real person I pity here is the poor SA who probably got fired because some talk show hostess she'd never heard about wanted in after hours and got turned away.

Buttery said:
I've been ignored (for whatever reason) plenty of times and moved on plenty of times. I'm not talking about someone just being ignored, I'm talking about someone being ignored because, according to a certain SA, they fit into a certain category. The SA even stated such and was heard by several witnesses.

So, are you saying that you feel that a SA has every right to make certain decisions for a department store, like what types of people deserve good service? So, it's okay for a SA to discrimate? People should just take discrimination and move on?
The point is, is that you really don't know if that SA is discriminating or not, they could be having a bad day or just really don't feel like helping anyone. I think it's really lame to automatically assume that someone is being racist because they don't want to help you. See Amanda's thread about a customer she had that did that exact thing. There will be discrimination everywhere you go, and most of the time you wont even know it's going on. That's why I just say, deal with it unless you can prove it.

Perja said:
I'd say either let it go, since she got perfectly good service from a normal, decent SA. If that hadn't been the case, then take it up to managment.

From my POV, there is a difference between seeing/experiencing racist acts as a private person and making a fuss about it because you're "famous". There are different ways of dealing with such situations.
I'm sure that Oprah must have said something to someone that originated that rumour. Maybe it was a genuine mistake (a moment of anger/dissapointment), maybe it was being a drama queen but her reaction about still shopping Hermes didn't touch quite as many people as the story of racist Hermes.

Here, clearly your friend and her mom were discriminated against because ONE SA was at the very least, a total b*tch. It's sad, it happens everywhere and I would have done something about it if I had heard the SA say that.

Also, I agree with the statement that H's CEO had to placate Oprah but that isn't because they may/may not have done something wrong, it's because the US is a big consummer and many people there actually take to heart what she says.
It's good PR, not the sign of a guilty conscience.

The real person I pity here is the poor SA who probably got fired because some talk show hostess she'd never heard about wanted in after hours and got turned away.

I just never got the impression that it was a race thing with Oprah. The store was closed and she didn't get special treatment, she got pissed.:lol: When I heard about it, my first thought was, "Now, I know she doesn't expect everyone to rally around her for this one...the average person who watches her show probably can't afford Hermes. And most people can't relate to having a store opened just for them." I just hate that Oprah's situation (whatever it was...still not exactly sure) causes some to minimize cases of real discrimination.

allison said:
The point is, is that you really don't know if that SA is discriminating or not, they could be having a bad day or just really don't feel like helping anyone. I think it's really lame to automatically assume that someone is being racist because they don't want to help you. See Amanda's thread about a customer she had that did that exact thing. There will be discrimination everywhere you go, and most of the time you wont even know it's going on. That's why I just say, deal with it unless you can prove it.

I was asking you about the specific situation that I described with my friend and her mother. What do you think about that situation? Do you think that they should have filed a complaint? And do you think that the SA (who made that statement) should be held accountable?

Buttery said:
I was asking you about the specific situation that I described with my friend and her mother. What do you think about that situation? Do you think that they should have filed a complaint? And do you think that the SA (who made that statement) should be held accountable?
If you can prove it, then by all means report to the GM or the manager on duty. Otherwise, don't assume.

allison said:
If you can prove it, then by all means report to the GM or the manager on duty. Otherwise, don't assume.

just as you shouldn't assume someone is "playing the race card" when you don't know the whole story. it seems like you automatically assumed oprah was in the wrong based on your own prejudices.