I Just can't do Hermes...

jehaga said:
--don't know what the big deal about her is).

I know she overreacted over this Hermes situation and it was wrong for her to blame it on her race, but you should know reasons why she is big deal... she is a very generous person whom donates millions of dollars every year worldwide to charities, she helped built and bought houses for victims of Hurricane Katrina and a list of other things.

And to state that you can't give your business to Hermes after the Oprah incident is pure BS. You're telling me that when you see a Birkin or a Kelly you won't buy it because of the whole Oprah thing. Oh please!

I still remember about that Oprah incident. Don't know what's up with big deal anyway. She wants to buy a watch for her friend, Tina Turner and even if Hermes doesn't allow her in to buy the watch, she can always go to another store. I believe there are many other luxury shops which sell watches that she can buy for her friend. Regarding about her saying that there are shoppers inside the store, maybe those shoppers are on their way to make a purchase and then immediately, get out. Or maybe those are not shoppers but people who are busy planning the party. Then, she called Robert Chavez to come all the way to the store just to demand justice? Huh....? Whatever......

Poor Robert Chavez.......

Oprah, sh-- happens to all of us. Didn't we have discussions about difficult SA's? The store was closed. Also, she would not have been the first American to be snubbed by the French. I love French food and the language, but I have heard several vacation horror stories, too.
I agree, if you're a big celebrity call ahead. They probably would have given her a private time.

seriously - I can't get with it. for those of you saying that there is no difference between celebrity clientelle and the average person are living somewhere in the midwest up on a hill somewhere - when you are at Oprah's level, you shop when and where you want.

I go shopping with many huge celebs and indeed you cannot go during normal business hours, you go either at 6 am before the store opens or in the evening after the store closes, sometimes in the middle of the night.

And yes, I will not give hermes my business - even if oprah took a good dose of ass kissing from the corporation herself.

monablu said:
seriously - I can't get with it. for those of you saying that there is no difference between celebrity clientelle and the average person are living somewhere in the midwest up on a hill somewhere - when you are at Oprah's level, you shop when and where you want.

I go shopping with many huge celebs and indeed you cannot go during normal business hours, you go either at 6 am before the store opens or in the evening after the store closes, sometimes in the middle of the night.

And yes, I will not give hermes my business - even if oprah took a good dose of ass kissing from the corporation herself.
Which huge celebs you go shopping with? Are you a fashion stylist to the stars? Envy you. Is it true some celebs are so hard to please?

lovebags said:
And to state that you can't give your business to Hermes after the Oprah incident is pure BS. You're telling me that when you see a Birkin or a Kelly you won't buy it because of the whole Oprah thing. Oh please!

it's not BS - it's my OPINION...something that everyone has. So suck it up and accept mine like I must accept yours.

Besides the fact that the large majority of Europeans don't know who Oprah is, ( I live here so I know) I agree with what everyone else has said; thank God sometimes celebs get treated like us "Common Mortals". Finally she could have made arrangements with the store beforehand (like an appointment)... ;)

I would just like to say..everyone is calling oprah a drama queen and harping on the fact that she gets special treatment..but the simple truth is that as far as I know none of us are celebrities..and fair or not fair..they are generally treated a certain way..1. because they spend a lot of money..and 2. because these companies like the exposure and cache that celebrities give them..so my thinking is that if we were accustomed to being treated a certain way..i.e. stores opening for us..discounts..special gifts..etc..we would certainly be taken aback and offened when it didn't happen..foer all we know..every other time Oprah went to a Hermes..they opened teh store for her..and as near as I can tell Oprah herself said the media and people like us ( who speculate) blew it all out of proprotion..that the Hermes people later apologized is a testament to my earlier statement that these companies rely on their celebrity business to a large degree..and whether that is fair or not is irrelevant..since as near as I can tell..Life Ain't Fair!!:shame:

so hermes discriminates against oprah, and all you guys are saying is good for hermes? celebrities are always treated differently from everyone else- do you think madonna or catherine zeta jones are busy sucking up to SAs trying to get on a years long waiting list for a birkin? hermes is one of many design houses that give celebs special treatment, and if you think hermes is different, you're deluding yourself. i'm not the biggest fan of oprah, but i don't see her as being frivolous; i think that a mistake was made by a snobby hermes SA, and it was the media who blew it out of proportion, not oprah. and i thought it was a good thing that the president of hermes appeared on her show to acknowledge that a mistake was made, not because he was afraid of having his company being categorized as being racist; i think he deserves a bit more credit than that. i think the anger that has been shown against oprah on this forum stems from the possibility that it wouldn't be p.c. to carry your beloved birkin because of the incident, or that your dream might have to be deferred from carrying a birkin and being admired for it because of the incident. how frivolous is that?

mahbag! said:
so hermes discriminates against oprah, and all you guys are saying is good for hermes? celebrities are always treated differently from everyone else- do you think madonna or catherine zeta jones are busy sucking up to SAs trying to get on a years long waiting list for a birkin? hermes is one of many design houses that give celebs special treatment, and if you think hermes is different, you're deluding yourself. i'm not the biggest fan of oprah, but i don't see her as being frivolous; i think that a mistake was made by a snobby hermes SA, and it was the media who blew it out of proportion, not oprah. and i thought it was a good thing that the president of hermes appeared on her show to acknowledge that a mistake was made, not because he was afraid of having his company being categorized as being racist; i think he deserves a bit more credit than that. i think the anger that has been shown against oprah on this forum stems from the possibility that it wouldn't be p.c. to carry your beloved birkin because of the incident, or that your dream might have to be deferred from carrying a birkin and being admired for it because of the incident. how frivolous is that?

The point was, is that they were CLOSED. The SA probably didn't know who Oprah was and since it was past closing, they denied her. I know when I worked retail, I didn't care if you were Britney freakin' Spears, I wanted to go home so I didn't let you in. You can't get all huffy puffy because they didn't know who you were. Now if it were a store in the US, of course it would be a big deal and they might be deamed racist or whatever because it's always a race issue when you're denied :suspiciou.

allison said:
The point was, is that they were CLOSED. The SA probably didn't know who Oprah was and since it was past closing, they denied her. I know when I worked retail, I didn't care if you were Britney freakin' Spears, I wanted to go home so I didn't let you in. You can't get all huffy puffy because they didn't know who you were. Now if it were a store in the US, of course it would be a big deal and they might be deamed racist or whatever because it's always a race issue when you're denied :suspiciou.

wow, that sounds like a personal problem to me.

mahbag! said:
[/b]

wow, that sounds like a personal problem to me.

Oprah was the one who threw out the race card
dunno.gif