How to clean Tiffany's silver or other silver jewelry?

I don't think we have a Tiffanys store arond here (I bought mine straight from the site) Can you send the necklace in the mail for a cleaning?

Absolutely. There is a form on the Tiffany website, under Customer Service. Just fill it out and mail it along with your item to the address provided. I would mail it Registered Mail or some sort of courier service, just to be safe. Once Tiffany receives the package and processes it, you should then get an email stating how much your cleaning will cost and whether you approve the charge. You'll be asked to provide a method of payment online or over the phone, whichever you prefer. It will then be mailed back to you, free of charge. The whole process takes about two weeks, usually a little less than that.

Thanks Allie for all the great advice. I worked for major dept store and the rep told me to tell clients never to use the dip on pieces that you have used the cloth on and vice versa... I wonder if that still applies?
The fact that the pieces are buffed in house is worth the cost IMHO..... once a year at least!

Thanks Allie for all the great advice. I worked for major dept store and the rep told me to tell clients never to use the dip on pieces that you have used the cloth on and vice versa... I wonder if that still applies?
The fact that the pieces are buffed in house is worth the cost IMHO..... once a year at least!

No problem! I am happy to help :smile:

As for the dip, we do not recommend dipping Tiffany silver into any sort of solution that is more suited for gold and platinum items. We do have a dipping solution called "Tiffany Blue" that is used only by the in-house polishers. I believe that is only used for the very extremely tarnished items as a pre-treater before actual buffing of the item.

If you send it to Tiffany via mail, it will most certainly be cleaned within the Tiffany company. I cannot speak about other countries, but I do know that items sent for repair to the New York store from within the US (Tiffany and Co. cannot ship internationally) are all done internally. :smile:

I always had my tiff's cleaned at the bloor location in toronto for free, you simply go to the third floor and sign off onit. HOWEVER, if you go to a tiff's elsewhere they may try to charge you, like in Montreal Holt Renfrew location- apparently they send it back to toronto to be cleaned. Personally i think it damages the brand relationship with tiffany's, I've identified myself as a Tiffany's girl and i think that i should be treated as such no matter which location i am at.

I wanted to wear my Tiffany pendant and see it has tarnished a bit. I do store my sterling in a seperate jewelry box that is supposed to resist tarnish.

Do you have any suggestions for a product or polishing cloth that you use? Thanks.

Fran

i couldn't recommend a specific brand, per se, because i haven't worn my SS jewelry in years, but i do know that storing it won't help it. it will still tarnish, that's just SS for you.

but, when i did i used to use a cloth embedded with varnish. it's so convenient and not messy at all. i'm sure you can find something like that anywhere that sells SS jewelry.

If it's heavily tarnished, find a SS cream polish (I use Weiman's silver polish) and let it sit in the cream for awhile and wash it with warm water then buff with a polishing cloth..

Just to maintain however, any SS polishing cloth will do.. I have to say though tiffany's polishing cloth has lasted me longer than any other brand I've ever used!

I also have bought some 3M anti-tarnish strips that I put in with all my SS jewelry bags to reduce tarnish!

HTH!

i tried this tip from one of the sa's at a pandora store..this is only for silver, not oxidesed silver...but just dunk you stuff in some cola.the cola fizzes and removes any oxidation..only leave it in for a minute or so and then clean with toothbrush in coldwater had my silver pandora beads looking brand new!..

Thanks for all the suggestions. I would take it back to the store but I bought it in NYC and we live in Dayton and I don't think we have a Tiffany store anywhere near us.

I'll look for a polishing cloth this weekend and give it a try.:biggrin:

Fran