Hermes Special Order Bags

Since this thread is now huge and the internal links to frequently asked questions no longer work, here is a brief FAQ for newcomers to the Hermes Special Order process.

What are the current choices for "a la carte" Special Order bags?
Current color charts Page 1420 Post 21,296 February 7, 2024
Most Recently Known Selection Definitions (bag types, sizes, combos) Sept 4, 2021
Thread Choices for stitching.
Lucky Symbols for stamping.

What is an Hermes Special Order?
Each year Hermes gives select clients the opportunity to customize a classic bag in a made-to-order a la carte process. This thread is only for bag A La Carte orders (please use the separate threads for watch SOs and shoe SOs). "A la carte", "SO" (special order), and "HSS" (horse shoe stamp) are used interchangeably on this forum.

When is the Special Order season?
Currently, there is one SO season each calendar year, opening around the beginning of February and closing when slots run out or the end of December, whichever occurs first. New SO menus are typically leaked in February and remain constant until the following calendar year. Individual stores have complete discretion on when, within this window, they offer SO appointments to their clients.

Which specs can I customize?
Hermes defines which specs can be customized and these specs can change each SO season. Generally these specs include: leather type, leather color, and hardware color. At your SO appointment, your SA will present you will the limited menu of choices including bag types and sizes (Birkin 25, Kelly 28, etc), pre-set combination designs (line, verso, multico, etc), leather choices, leather colors, hardwares, and a map for which options can be selected for which bag type and size. Not all leathers and hardwares are allowed for all bag types and sizes.

Can I make physical changes to a bag definition during SO?
Sometimes clients would like to change a physical aspect of a bag, like increase the handle drop or add a pocket or a strap. Unfortunately, Hermes does not allow any type of alteration to the bag definition during SO. For extensive changes like these, a client would need to pursue a “Horizon order” which can be read about here.

How long will my SO take?
There is no way to predict how long a SO will take from placing the order to receipt of the finished product. Although Hermes has recently put forward efforts to fulfill a la carte orders within a year, it isn’t uncommon for bags to arrive in just a few months or also much longer than the year estimate.

Can my SA give me status my existing SO?
Unfortunately, the info that can be seen by SAs at the local store is very limited. They can generally see if the order is still outstanding (ie hasn’t been cancelled) but do not get status updates beyond that. Some stores will update clients when they get notice that a bag has been shipped from Paris but other stores wait until the bag is physically in store before alerting the client.

Do I need to place a deposit for SO?
In most regions of the world, a deposit is not required for SOs. However, some Asian and Middle Eastern locations do seem to request at least a partial deposit. Deposits may also be required in other regions if the SO selections are very personalized (ie if you have your personal initials hot stamped onto the bag) such that selling the bag to a different client, if the original client declines the bag, would be difficult.

Do I receive confirmation of my SO after placing my order?
In most regions of the world, the client gives their specifications to their SA and that is the last they hear about it until the bag arrives. Paris stores seem to be an exception to this and send the client a confirmation email within a few weeks of placing the order.

Is there a premium for a SO bag?
No, there is no premium price for SO bags. Their price is the same as any other standard stock bag of the same specifications at the time of delivery.

Is my SO a quota bag?
SO bags are generally counted toward a client’s two-bags-per-year limit at the time that the bag is received and paid for. If a client has already maxed out their quota bag allocation for the year, some stores will allow an exception to purchase your SO as a third bag for the year while other stores will require the customer to wait until a new calendar year before receiving the bag. These policies are subject to be changed per store at their convenience so it is always wise to check with your specific SA.

Where can I get ideas for my SO bag?
This thread shows unique combination bags and this thread shows contrasting stitching bags. Please consider posting your bag there once it arrives!

Where can I see historical SO menus?
2023 on post 19,874 page 1325 Feb 3, 2023
2022 on post 17,729 page 1182 Sept 13, 2021
2021 on post 15,439 page 1030 Aug 16, 2020
2020 on post 13,222 page 882 Aug 8, 2019
2019 on post 10,472 page 699 Sept 10, 2018
2018 on post 7,687 page 513 Sept 15, 2017
2017 on post 4,749 page 317 Sept 26, 2016

Just got the call from my SA asking if I want to create an SO bag :yahoo:We discussed what I would like to do if ever given the opportunity the other day but I had NO idea it would be coming so soon! Now I need to figure out what I want 😅 My SA specifically requested that I do something unique (ie not a bag they could normally get me). I'm more of a neutral gal and not very adventurous with colors, so I will definitely be looking through this thread for examples of bags folks have done in the past! I'm so excited! I actually don't have a QB yet so this may be my first one!
Congrats!! This is a very exciting, special event for you prepared by your SA and the SM/store. I would strongly recommend you to search for a lot of pictures out there via Instagram, Pinterest, etc.

Here is my general advice:
Step 1: Choose either Birkin or Kelly
Step 2: Choose either sellier or retourne
Step 3: Choose the size of the bag (25 or smaller is preferred) - My SA said that 25 or smaller sizes are very hard to get. So, the advice would be this. You can get a size of 30 or bigger anytime you want really.
Step 4: verso vs. multicolor; hardware options; leather options; color options (including the stitching) and so forth. - This is what you need to spend the most time when thinking of the SO.

These steps are pretty much identical to how you will put an order on the iPad. And the simulated bag will be shown on the tablet.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: ladymaigrey
I would love your perspective... do you think it is silly of me to feel compelled to make a two-tone bag? Even if my DREAM -#1 i would choose and wear more than anything ever- is a noir mk phw. I have a noir k25 phw in sellier and it's just so close, but a mini would fit my super petite frame and lifestyle much better. I do love my k25 but don't wear it as much as I thought I would.

However, I feel like because it is a SO I am compelled to make a craie/biscuit mk instead... which are two colors I would love and choose either as my #2 dream bag besides a bubblegum mk.

I don't know :sad: I am thinking it's worth a conversation with my SA to see how impossible a black MK could be. It was something she's said would come "soon" since last august but I know how hard it is on her I don't blame her...

A part of me says it is fine... A black MK may come within a few years... but I am also not sure how long I will have continual income for Hermes. Currently going through IVF and if I am able to get pregnant I may leave my job to focus on motherhood for a bit. DH has no interest in funding my H addiction at this time where life expenses will go up with a family.
If, five years from now, you were looking back and you never had gotten a standard noir MK would you feel disappointed and wish you had ordered one instead? I’m not a big fan of white/beige bags, nor multicos, and craie/biscuit feels like it’s going to be dated soon, to me personally, but I’m probably in the minority there. Also there are currently a whole slew of whitish shades in normal production. If it were me, I would order the noir and change my standard wishlist to a white/beige color (which should also make that ask easier on your SA). Plus I feel black can go with anything whereas craie/biscuit feels more like an IG bag to me. But again, I’m probably in the minority and others will say to get the Multico if you truly love the Multico look in that color combo since it would be SO only. Sorry to not be more help.

If, five years from now, you were looking back and you never had gotten a standard noir MK would you feel disappointed and wish you had ordered one instead? I’m not a big fan of white/beige bags, nor multicos, and craie/biscuit feels like it’s going to be dated soon, to me personally, but I’m probably in the minority there. Also there are currently a whole slew of whitish shades in normal production. If it were me, I would order the noir and change my standard wishlist to a white/beige color (which should also make that ask easier on your SA). Plus I feel black can go with anything whereas craie/biscuit feels more like an IG bag to me. But again, I’m probably in the minority and others will say to get the Multico if you truly love the Multico look in that color combo since it would be SO only. Sorry to not be more help.
Thank you! Very helpful and great points to consider!

Reactions: Cmpb33
Congrats!! This is a very exciting, special event for you prepared by your SA and the SM/store. I would strongly recommend you to search for a lot of pictures out there via Instagram, Pinterest, etc.

Here is my general advice:
Step 1: Choose either Birkin or Kelly
Step 2: Choose either sellier or retourne
Step 3: Choose the size of the bag (25 or smaller is preferred) - My SA said that 25 or smaller sizes are very hard to get. So, the advice would be this. You can get a size of 30 or bigger anytime you want really.
Step 4: verso vs. multicolor; hardware options; leather options; color options (including the stitching) and so forth. - This is what you need to spend the most time when thinking of the SO.

These steps are pretty much identical to how you will put an order on the iPad. And the simulated bag will be shown on the tablet.

Hope this helps!
Thank you so much! This is super helpful. I've already decided I want a Kelly, now I just need to figure out sizing & the rest of the specs :smile: I've already started looking up photos for inspiration and Pinterest is a great call! Thank you again!

Thank you! Very helpful and great points to consider!
Also consider how taste changes over time. When I started H, I was ALL about color. Head to toe. it's been about 12 years... I still love color but noooot head to toe... only accents (pops). The other thing is I was afraid to be daring with my SOs for fear I would get tired of them. For me, that was a (first world) mistake-ish... for my last SO, I wanted a bi-color sellier Kelly for sooo long but ordered a black chevre B25 RGHW instead and although I looove it, I should have done a bi-color black/some other color K25 or 28 PBHW. But you just never know....tastes change... more bags come and then you look at your collection differently.

I did end up buying the exact bag I would have ordered if I had another opportunity to SO because a friend of mine placed a SO in Paris in the exact specs I love (Craie/Etoupe w/contrast stitching & PBHW) and she ended up selling it to me!!! I swear it's my most worn bag! But that is sooooo rare to happen. I love love love the bi-color Kelly in neutrals!

Also, let's imagine you're a new mommy, will you be living the mini kelly life??? It's TINY! Just something to consider.

I would love your perspective... do you think it is silly of me to feel compelled to make a two-tone bag? Even if my DREAM -#1 i would choose and wear more than anything ever- is a noir mk phw. I have a noir k25 phw in sellier and it's just so close, but a mini would fit my super petite frame and lifestyle much better. I do love my k25 but don't wear it as much as I thought I would.

However, I feel like because it is a SO I am compelled to make a craie/biscuit mk instead... which are two colors I would love and choose either as my #2 dream bag besides a bubblegum mk.

I don't know :sad: I am thinking it's worth a conversation with my SA to see how impossible a black MK could be. It was something she's said would come "soon" since last august but I know how hard it is on her I don't blame her...

A part of me says it is fine... A black MK may come within a few years... but I am also not sure how long I will have continual income for Hermes. Currently going through IVF and if I am able to get pregnant I may leave my job to focus on motherhood for a bit. DH has no interest in funding my H addiction at this time where life expenses will go up with a family.
What will you actually wear? What is your style? If you may not have the continual income for H, I’d get the MK or other bag you really want. A MK has a serious pre spend so it may not come if you aren’t shopping as much.

I wouldn’t get something that leaves you wanting something else. If you want an MK, I’d get that or something you will love as much. I love neutrals but I would never wear a bicolor bag. My style is too conservative. You have to get something you will love and wear.

Reactions: fashionemily7
Just got the call from my SA asking if I want to create an SO bag :yahoo:We discussed what I would like to do if ever given the opportunity the other day but I had NO idea it would be coming so soon! Now I need to figure out what I want 😅 My SA specifically requested that I do something unique (ie not a bag they could normally get me). I'm more of a neutral gal and not very adventurous with colors, so I will definitely be looking through this thread for examples of bags folks have done in the past! I'm so excited! I actually don't have a QB yet so this may be my first one!

Yes totally understand! My SA has been great about showing me things that they know I would love but might not originally consider. I think they just want to encourage me to create something one of a kind for myself and help me get excited about the possibilities :smile: It definitely didn't feel like they are pushing me in a certain direction!
Congratulations!!! An SO is such a wonderful opportunity.

I think it's pretty normal for SAs to say "make something special", but not intended as pressure. It's often the case that a client has some specific wishes/tastes that aren't likely to be found in production bags, and this leads to an SO offer (this is what happened with my first SO).

I'm not all that adventurous with color either, but have done almost all my SOs in what I would consider a neutral exterior, in a verso but also with a subtle contrasting stitch. They are all really wearable, but still cool (IMO anyway!) and are visibly SOs to anyone who knows Hermès.

Since you want a Kelly, the interior of the bag is only really visible to you (I am sure you know, but the lining does not include the inside flap), so, you can do literally anything you want - a pop color or neutral or similar color family - on the inside. I am personally a big fan of a Kelly verso with a color you love and will wear on the exterior, and a color that makes you smile on the interior. If you then want a little somethin-somethin extra, you can play with the stitching. (This might be called for this season, when the lining options are a bit limited.) @acrowcounted has linked the contrast stitch thread above and there is also a great contrast lining thread - I will try to find and link. @Meta has done some absolutely lovely SOs in this vein, worth seeking out.

Remember that leather is important....chèvre is SO-only, so that alone makes it special...but only IF you love chèvre, and love Kelly sellier, because right now K retourné isn't available in chèvre.

Again, since you want a Kelly (I always want a Kelly LOL), I would start with choosing size and style: sellier or retourné - then a leather and exterior color you love; then spice it up with the stitch, interior, and hardware.

(I am not at all against multicos; but, for the most wearable bag and for a first SO, personally it would not be my choice. I have done quite a few SOs and am only this year considering my first multico - but, I am a scaredy-cat with multicolored anything!)

HTH

Congrats!! It really bugs me though when SAs try to tell clients what to create, especially when it pushes them outside of their comfort zone. If she knew what she was talking about, she would know that you are unable to create anything that she could “normally get for you” as SO models always differ from production models by design. My advice is to order whatever bag YOU want most, as if it’s the only bag you will ever get from Hermes, and don’t be swayed by what your SA thinks. She won’t be paying for it nor wearing it! Good luck deciding!
+1 on this excellent advice

IMO go with the noir MK that YOU really want. You know it is something missing in your collection, you know you will wear it, AND you have some bigger life events coming that will supersede EVERY bag for a while! Adding a second color as the lining may be enough to make it more special.

These are some beautiful public photo from ig influencer/ reseller maybe giving you some idea. IMG_6138.jpegIMG_6139.jpegIMG_6140.jpegIMG_6148.jpegIMG_6147.jpegIMG_6146.jpegIMG_6144.jpegIMG_6143.jpegIMG_6142.jpeg

Dear special order veterans - for those who have received multiple special orders over their H lifetime - how often did you receive the opportunity to do an SO? ie. once every 2-3 years, once every 5-6 years, etc? Recognize the H landscape has evolved and will continue to evolve - just asking out of curiosity if this is is a once in a decade thing or could happen every other year for 'regulars'.
Personally, from 2013-2016 I was very lucky to do 5 SOs... then my life changed, and Hermes changed... I took a little hiatus after having a child and my focus was elsewhere. I slowly started getting back into it a couple of years ago, and was again extremely lucky to place 2 SOs in 2022.

Has anyone heard that you cannot order permabrass on a MK through SO? I was looking at post on instagram from someone who made a mauve pale MK in permabrass and it came with palladium hardware instead. In the comments, a couple of people mentioned "yes, MK only can be made in gold or palladium through SO, not permabrass" to which the OP replied "So I am hearing! My SA did not know about this!"...

I believe I have seen MK SO with permabrass so I am a bit confused. Any insight would be helpful... as I do not want to choose permabrass and end up with something at their discretion (even though I do trust the artisans) ... thank you!
Definitely incorrect information. I placed (and already received) an SO for mini Kelly in 2022 with permabrass HW. It is rose gold hardware that is not available for MK yet.

As my first SO I decided to go for a B30 Alligator Noir with graphite stitching and RGHW. But to be honest, my SA offered me a few QB in Noir since then and my biggest wish right now is a K25 oder K28 Sellier in Craie with Trench/Biscuit or a similiar color. I personally would go for the option that I really want to have RIGHT NOW. If you do not have a small black bag for an evening out, go for the MK in Noir and take a stitching that makes her special (as I did with graphite). Otherwise keep in mind that a MK (or any other QB) in black will be also available sooner or later as a regular wish. Ask yourself what you would choose if you never get the option for another SO again :angel:

Last edited: