Help with peeling Chanel caviar leather

Thank you for all your replies.
I will call them see what they could do to the bag. Keep you guys updated.
This is the fifth/ sixth time quality issue I have been experienced.
I wonder how about you guys?

I have had a quality issue with almost every single Chanel item I own. Some minor (residue glue, excess thread, slight crease etc) and some major (zipper had to be repaired, twisted chain, misaligned flap).

It really comes down to the stock available and if I could accept the imperfection and just keep the item; or I return it for an exchange/refund, risking that it’s a seasonal item and the store may not receive more stock.

Chanel’s quality definitely do not reflect the prices they charge, but I love the brand too much....sighs....

I do “try” and check my items thoroughly before buying but I swear the store lighting makes everything seem so shiny and perfect haha

Oof, so before today I have not been a victim of quality issues until I noticed a few hours ago that the caviar finish on the corners and the inner strap on my boy is peeling/flaking. It’s hard to capture. It looks as if the shiny finish is coming off on high stress points, revealing the matte leather below. It can be removed but duh, this bag isn’t even a year old!

Is this a common issue? The search didn’t show me many threads so it seems to be a minor issue. (?)

If you ran into this issue, how much worse did it get? Debating on whether this is my don’t give a damn-bag or whether I should just sell it.

• Sad
Reactions: A bottle of Red
I’ve had a similar issue with my Boy - the peeling/scuff on my Boy is on the corner of the left part of its flap though. I noticed the scuff just a few months after I got the bag FYI. The leather is also caviar.

I happened to use my Boy one time while shopping at Chanel and showed the scuff to my SA and she told me that it’s normal wear, as expected.

I still have the same Boy bag after all these years and still love it to bits and pieces. I usually use it for casual days.

I had a calfskin boy that I sold because the wear on the corners were getting so bad. Love the style but won't buy another because I think the shape lends itself to wear and tear more quickly than other bags. Granted I got this early on in my luxury bag obsession (and I got it preloved) so I wasn't as careful with it as I should have been.

Good to hear that I’m not the only one. I’m still shocked because the peeling on the edge of the strap is quite massive. Corner wear is Minor but affects all of the corners. It is not really obvious but it doesn’t inspire confidence in the quality of the caviar leather. I have definitely not overstuffed it.

Still feel a bit sad about it because i love the bag. I will probably keep it and try to get over it.

Good to hear that I’m not the only one. I’m still shocked because the peeling on the edge of the strap is quite massive. Corner wear is Minor but affects all of the corners. It is not really obvious but it doesn’t inspire confidence in the quality of the caviar leather. I have definitely not overstuffed it.

Still feel a bit sad about it because i love the bag. I will probably keep it and try to get over it.
As soon as I find slightly obvious wear and tear on my bags, they’d become my don’t give a damn bags, and I actually get more use out of them and get to enjoy them more. :smile:

And it shall be! Here’s to enjoying your lovely boy.:drinks:

urgh, I tried today but the peeling on the strap continues and it just makes me sad and furious at the same time. I tried to get in touch with my SA. Given that it isn’t even a year old they might be willing to do something but my gut says that it’s just wear and tear to them.

I will put it away to ensure my sanity but I am probably going to sell it.All I see are peeling corners.

A8781883-60CB-42EB-A330-14DCA7C600DF.jpeg

AA841748-3D19-40EA-8F51-92B6A3727A10.jpeg

urgh, I tried today but the peeling on the strap continues and it just makes me sad and furious at the same time. I tried to get in touch with my SA. Given that it isn’t even a year old they might be willing to do something but my gut says that it’s just wear and tear to them.

I will put it away to ensure my sanity but I am probably going to sell it.All I see are peeling corners.

View attachment 4821242

View attachment 4821243
The peeling/scuff on the corner of my Boy looks the same! When I showed my SA the peeling/scuff a few months after I got the bag, she told me it was normal wear. Knowing Chanel, your SA will probably give you the same automated answer - that it’s normal wear and tear. It’s frustrating, but that’s Chanel after sales customer service for you. They suck. Lol. But hey, you should still ask your SA because you’ll never know.

Anyway, my Boy is my most used Chanel bag these days probably because I don’t have to baby it as much as the other bags anymore.

View attachment 4821242

View attachment 4821243
just try to say something to your SA even if it's normal wear and tear (which is a lame excuse) they have "warranty" right?

Reactions: Kuschelnudde
The peeling/scuff on the corner of my Boy looks the same! When I showed my SA the peeling/scuff a few months after I got the bag, she told me it was normal wear. Knowing Chanel, your SA will probably give you the same automated answer - that it’s normal wear and tear. It’s frustrating, but that’s Chanel after sales customer service for you. They suck. Lol. But hey, you should still ask your SA because you’ll never know.

Anyway, my Boy is my most used Chanel bag these days probably because I don’t have to baby it as much as the other bags anymore.

Did you also feel angry about it at first? Or did you just stop caring?

I’m torn on whether to keep it or not. Having it as a don’t care-workhorse seems tempting but right now the disappointment is quite overwhelming.

View attachment 4821242

View attachment 4821243
I’m sorry to hear that. If it upsets you that much maybe it’s better to sell it instead and get something else that’ll make you happy.