Help with peeling Chanel caviar leather

Update!

They didn’t do anything about it ;) Chanel France said that the bag was okay. Nothing wrong.

Truly, they are blind. But I don‘t care anymore, I gave it a try and will consider purchases very deliberately from now on.
Thanks for the update. I was also hoping for them to fix it. Since it's black caviar, I thought maybe they'd paint it over so the peeling/raw leather isn't as noticeable (probably not the best 'fix', but at least it's an option?).

I've asked for them to fix a scuff on a brand new / in-store beige bag before (I haven't bought it yet, but was willing to buy and send to repair right away). The store manager assured me they wouldn't be able to fix it since the raw leather was showing and they wouldn't be able to replace the leather or re-dye just that corner.

Thanks for the update. I was also hoping for them to fix it. Since it's black caviar, I thought maybe they'd paint it over so the peeling/raw leather isn't as noticeable (probably not the best 'fix', but at least it's an option?).

I will try sending it in again on Monday (my SA actually also encouraged me to do so) because the leather transfers color if you rub it with a Damp cloth (or wet clothes due to rain).

If they don’t fix it I will probably sell it.

Attachments

• 2C377F3E-D063-4C63-94F9-6E879CC57E0C.jpeg
    2C377F3E-D063-4C63-94F9-6E879CC57E0C.jpeg
    125.6 KB · Views: 155
  • Sad
Reactions: Swathi
Update!

They didn’t do anything about it ;) Chanel France said that the bag was okay. Nothing wrong.

Truly, they are blind. But I don‘t care anymore, I gave it a try and will consider purchases very deliberately from now on.
Sorry to hear that. I tried to get them do something about the scuff on the corner of my Boy when I got its chain realigned, but they didn’t do anything about the scuff either. They pulled the “we don’t see anything wrong with the corner” card on me too. Luckily, they did realign the chain but it took 2 months to do. I guess we can’t have it all!

Reactions: Kuschelnudde
I will try sending it in again on Monday (my SA actually also encouraged me to do so) because the leather transfers color if you rub it with a Damp cloth (or wet clothes due to rain).

I’m sorry Chanel is giving you such a hard time. How old is your bag? My understanding is that Chanel will completely refurbish your bag for free within 2 years and for a fee within 5 years of purchase. Have you tried going down this route with your SA instead of a request to repair only the problematic spots?

I’m sorry Chanel is giving you such a hard time. How old is your bag? My understanding is that Chanel will completely refurbish your bag for free within 2 years and for a fee within 5 years of purchase. Have you tried going down this route with your SA instead of a request to repair only the problematic spots?

It is just about a year old. I am not sure about the regulations as they vary per country. In Germany they will repair it for free in the first two years if the damage was not caused by accident but by faulty design.

My SA sent it in again and tries to pressure them, also attaching pictures. Let’s hope for the best ;)

Reactions: Christofle

wow! I hope they recognize the color transferring off is not normal 'wear and tear', because that's definitely not by design/expected of using a bag. I wonder if they did try to paint over it to hide the raw leather, and that's why the color is so dark on the damp cloth.

On another thread, I think @TraceySH mentioned Chanel does not dye their leather all the way through. So, if the color is coming off of the outside leather with just water and gentle rubbing, that's a whole other quality issue.

wow! I hope they recognize the color transferring off is not normal 'wear and tear', because that's definitely not by design/expected of using a bag. I wonder if they did try to paint over it to hide the raw leather, and that's why the color is so dark on the damp cloth.

On another thread, I think @TraceySH mentioned Chanel does not dye their leather all the way through. So, if the color is coming off of the outside leather with just water and gentle rubbing, that's a whole other quality issue.

Nope they definitely did not touch my bag. The color rubbing off was another reason why I sent it in and my SA also noted it down. For the second attempt she also attached pictures to the note directly showing the color transfer. It would be beyond ridiculous if they will consider it wear and tear.

Meanwhile at Chanel repair center:
33CA6865-CDF9-42B2-9312-7A36D22C586E.jpeg

Gurlz and guyz, my boy has returned. After a repair odyssey of about 4 months, including two attempts at getting them to repair it and an ongoing pandemic, it has finally been repaired!

They ended up replacing the peeling strap with a new one which was my preferred outcome. I am beyond happy, I missed this bag a lot! ❤️

Happy new year and stay safe!

Attachments

• A0B18191-B01A-4945-B040-EED66F7651EB.jpeg
    A0B18191-B01A-4945-B040-EED66F7651EB.jpeg
    382 KB · Views: 81
Gurlz and guyz, my boy has returned. After a repair odyssey of about 4 months, including two attempts at getting them to repair it and an ongoing pandemic, it has finally been repaired!

They ended up replacing the peeling strap with a new one which was my preferred outcome. I am beyond happy, I missed this bag a lot! ❤

Happy new year and stay safe!
Was it a completely new strap? The caviar matched?

Hi guys! I have recently purchased a 21C small classic flap caviar leather in rose clair, everything seems perfect however I found a scratch on the front of the bag which is quite visible if you look from any angle apart from the front view.

I live in London which is currently in lockdown so I don’t get to see/examine the bag in person before making the purchase. May I know is this a common issue for light colour Chanel bags (I have never bought any Chanel bags other than black colour) or should I contact my sa on this? My hesitation is they wouldn’t have another piece for exchange ... thank you so much in advance for you advice!
6D73BE5D-00C9-4DDE-BAAF-FED36759608F.jpeg3A3BCCB7-E20B-4E54-A97C-FEF2BDB95B37.jpegC5CAFC49-B0C0-4894-AC2D-48490CD8CDF5.jpeg