eBay, etc. General Question/Answer Thread

So I don't think it was a good idea to use the scan form. If they never scan the package, it would be the same as if I never shipped it.

You do have proof that they scanned the scan form, at least. Hopefully, the package will get scanned on delivery.

This is from a Reddit thread in answer to the question:
what does "the acceptance of your package is pending." mean?

"After the shipment is received and Scan Form scanned and the "Package Acceptance" scan done or not, the mail pieces are in transit. These items in transit may not be held up so another scanning can be done. If the scanning did not happen on receipt at the post office they simply move on. Even if they are not scanned as 'accepted' they will continue on their journey. Many pieces of mail end up being scanned as 'Delivered' without having ever being scanned as 'Accepted'."

You do have proof that they scanned the scan form, at least. Hopefully, the package will get scanned on delivery.

"After the shipment is received and Scan Form scanned and the "Package Acceptance" scan done or not, the mail pieces are in transit. These items in transit may not be held up so another scanning can be done. If the scanning did not happen on receipt at the post office they simply move on. Even if they are not scanned as 'accepted' they will continue on their journey. Many pieces of mail end up being scanned as 'Delivered' without having ever being scanned as 'Accepted'."
It will probably get scanned tonight. My post office has decided not to scan packages until they are on their way to the distribution center. I guess they think it hurts their statistics. So they instruct the carriers not to scan upon pickup because if the carriers don't make it back to the post office by 4 pm, the packages don't make it on the truck going to the distribution center and sit in the post office for another day.

Reactions: Catbird9
Thanks! I definitely wasn’t going to agree until I saw the refund. I decided just now to contact her and ask why it was canceled and see what she says. If she was a new seller, I wouldn’t mind so much. It can be confusing at first. But since she’s experienced, I might push back a little.

Never heard back from her, and still don’t have he refund! I have family visiting this week so haven’t really wanted to deal with it. Finally, last night, I sent her a message saying that I have not seen a refund and I would not agree to the cancellation unless I saw the refund or the item. This morning I finally woke up to the confirmation email from eBay. I don’t think it’s a coincidence - I don’t think she issued the refund until I sent that message. I wonder if she does that hoping people won’t notice that they didn’t get the refund??

I’m still waiting to see the money show up in PayPal. I’m bummed that I’m not getting that amazing deal ($33 including shipping for a bag I usually see listed for $75 and higher) but I do plan to leave a detailed negative review and maybe also complain to eBay that she seems to have a habit of doing that. I don’t know if that would do anything though. Is there a way for eBay to make her honor the auction? Won’t she just say the item is damaged or something? She has never replied to my messages.

Never heard back from her, and still don’t have he refund! I have family visiting this week so haven’t really wanted to deal with it. Finally, last night, I sent her a message saying that I have not seen a refund and I would not agree to the cancellation unless I saw the refund or the item. This morning I finally woke up to the confirmation email from eBay. I don’t think it’s a coincidence - I don’t think she issued the refund until I sent that message. I wonder if she does that hoping people won’t notice that they didn’t get the refund??

I’m still waiting to see the money show up in PayPal. I’m bummed that I’m not getting that amazing deal ($33 including shipping for a bag I usually see listed for $75 and higher) but I do plan to leave a detailed negative review and maybe also complain to eBay that she seems to have a habit of doing that. I don’t know if that would do anything though. Is there a way for eBay to make her honor the auction? Won’t she just say the item is damaged or something? She has never replied to my messages.

In answer to your question, no, eBay can't make her honor the auction.

I'm sorry you had to go through so much aggravation with this dodgy seller. I hope your refund shows up quickly in your PayPal account, and you can focus on finding another great deal that actually works out for you!

Reactions: marissa214

It will probably get scanned tonight. My post office has decided not to scan packages until they are on their way to the distribution center. I guess they think it hurts their statistics. So they instruct the carriers not to scan upon pickup because if the carriers don't make it back to the post office by 4 pm, the packages don't make it on the truck going to the distribution center and sit in the post office for another day.

I purchased an item from ebay on Sunday. Apparently the scan sheet was scanned on Monday since it reads 'acceptance pending.' Nothing has shown up in the scan since then. It was mailed from Texas and is supposed to arrive to me in Pennsylvania tomorrow. I had never seen any scanning like this before so I was glad to see that others had seen it while reading on this Forum. I'm anxious to see if it arrives tomorrow or if it gets scanned again at all. I will post when I know! Thank you all for bringing out these issues so others (like me) can be informed.

In answer to your question, no, eBay can't make her honor the auction.

I'm sorry you had to go through so much aggravation with this dodgy seller. I hope your refund shows up quickly in your PayPal account, and you can focus on finding another great deal that actually works out for you!

Thanks...well it’s not like I actually needed it. [emoji23] it’s just aggravating. Thanks for the info! I am still going to complain about it to eBay once my family has gone home. :smile:

I purchased an item from ebay on Sunday. Apparently the scan sheet was scanned on Monday since it reads 'acceptance pending.' Nothing has shown up in the scan since then. It was mailed from Texas and is supposed to arrive to me in Pennsylvania tomorrow. I had never seen any scanning like this before so I was glad to see that others had seen it while reading on this Forum. I'm anxious to see if it arrives tomorrow or if it gets scanned again at all. I will post when I know! Thank you all for bringing out these issues so others (like me) can be informed.

So, my package was not scanned again until it reached my 'destination facility'--the Philadelphia sorting center. None of those 'package is on its way to the destination' scans. After the sorting facility, it was scanned multiple times as it arrived at my post office and was delivered to me, right on time, yesterday.

eBay is pushing the option to submit offers. I had a low-ball offer tonight. When I went to counter offer, I noticed the boxes to accept the offer and the one to submit a counter offer were reversed. Usually the blue accept offer box is on the top so I usually go to the next box to the counter offer. This time the submit counter was on top and accept offer was the second box. I almost confused myself and hit the accept offer.

Hope this makes sense.

I purchased two items on eBay recently, one was from the UK and one was from Germany. The UK purchase was $2,000 less, yet I was hit with a $58 foreign transaction fee + an additional $5 foreign transaction fee for that purchase (that listing also had me prepay customs when I checked out, which is new to me - it was built into eBay and only showed up after I had already hit buy it now and went to my cart to pay). The item from Germany was more expensive, yet it had no foreign transaction fee and I will pay customs in the usual way, when it comes through customs.
Are these foreign transactions fees due to the type of listing, the location or my payment method (AmEx).
The item without the foreign transaction fee was purchased with a Capitol One card.
Both listings were "international" listings (showed the price in their local currency).
I would also love any input on the prepaid customs built into eBay on one of the purchased. Is this an option when a seller lists an item?
Thank you!

If the seller uses their international selling (where you ship it to eBay and they ship it on) the customs and all that are automatically added through eBay, if they set the price for shipping to another country manually, then you pay the customs duty the old fashioned way.
The PayPal also tends to be different from country to country, having moved a couple of times, it depends very much on the banking in the country, Germany encourages international transactions, whereas in the UK it is a bit less common and the fees are super steep. It's getting better, but I think it also depends what your CC company charges for foreign transactions and what deals they have.
For example in the US if I pay with one of my UK cards, I get massively hit with an additional fee for paying in another currency, the other card - just the currency exchange rate.

The post you replied to was made on July 3, 2017, almost a full year ago.

I noticed, but I hadn't seen an answer and figured since I could answer it, it would be polite to do so as others might be wondering too as I bought 2 items from the US last month and one had the customs charged via eBay check out through the international selling program, so if people prefer to pay the customs the "old way" they can skip those who offer through the international program.

eBay underpaid postage notice - I put 11oz and package was 14oz ( I guessed weight as my scale broke) an extra $1+ being charged to my account. Ok, so out of 20 packages, i guessed perfect on the other 19? Doubtful. Where is my refund for overage paid? I know I usually put in more #'s to be safe, but this was a shirt and I've never shipped a shirt before. Not holding my breath for that overpaid refund. Grr

eBay underpaid postage notice - I put 11oz and package was 14oz ( I guessed weight as my scale broke) an extra $1+ being charged to my account. Ok, so out of 20 packages, i guessed perfect on the other 19? Doubtful. Where is my refund for overage paid? I know I usually put in more #'s to be safe, but this was a shirt and I've never shipped a shirt before. Not holding my breath for that overpaid refund. Grr

I've gotten refunds for overpaid postage too, so it can happen.

USPS First Class Package Rates (these are the un-discounted amounts from my eBay postage printing screen).

1 - 4 oz $3.50
5 - 8 oz $3.75
9 oz $4.10
10 oz $4.45
11 oz $4.80
12 oz $5.15
13 oz $5.50
14 -16 oz $6.70

So you can see there is a big difference between 11 oz and 14 oz weights.

My strategy on First Class packages is, if in doubt, call it 15.9 oz. If it's less than 14 oz, you should get a refund. If it's over 16 oz, you can't use First Class anyway, so again, if in doubt, use Priority.

ETA: I don't know how small of a refund or extra charge they will process. If it's only $0.35, they might not do anything. I also don't know how they calculate the refund/charge. Do they factor in your eBay postage discount? :shrugs:

Reactions: holiday123
I've gotten refunds for overpaid postage too, so it can happen.

USPS First Class Package Rates (these are the un-discounted amounts from my eBay postage printing screen).

1 - 4 oz $3.50
5 - 8 oz $3.75
9 oz $4.10
10 oz $4.45
11 oz $4.80
12 oz $5.15
13 oz $5.50
14 -16 oz $6.70

So you can see there is a big difference between 11 oz and 14 oz weights.

My strategy on First Class packages is, if in doubt, call it 15.9 oz. If it's less than 14 oz, you should get a refund. If it's over 16 oz, you can't use First Class anyway, so again, if in doubt, use Priority.

ETA: I don't know how small of a refund or extra charge they will process. If it's only $0.35, they might not do anything. I also don't know how they calculate the refund/charge. Do they factor in your eBay postage discount? :shrugs:
Adding on because I found the underpaid items on my dashboard (no overpayment lol) and the exact same shirt I said was 11oz and was charged for 14oz I sold again (different color) and put 14oz. this time ( because that is what they said the last one weighed)..they corrected that weight to 1# 4oz and charged $3+ for priority. Same shirt, same size, only different pattern. Same poly bag size etc. That 2nd shirt must have had about 6oz of lint on it or something. So I guess I'll take the rest to goodwill. It's costing more to ship than the shirts themselves.