Docride's Hermes Lazarus Thread (can this Hermes be Saved? )

Hi! I just received this Herbag last week after searching and waiting months for it. I was able to finally score it on the H.com website a few weeks ago. I noticed that there was a tiny bit (a corner) of peeling on print near the area of the bag curves on the bottom and a tiny scuff on the leather below the buckle. I called customer service and was told there was no exchange available online or in store, but I expressed my concern the peeling might worsen in the future if this is present while it's brand new. They offered an return. I really love the bag, but unsure about this as I might not find it again. Could this be an returned bag? Is the peeling something that can be fixed or repaired in any way by bringing in to the store? The scuff is not something that bothers me as much as it probably would occur during normal usage anyway, but would a little leather conditioner help reduce the appearance? I attached photos and circled the peeling paint area in red.

Attachments

• B1B571D3-5704-4904-A758-12988D60442B.jpeg
    B1B571D3-5704-4904-A758-12988D60442B.jpeg
    121.3 KB · Views: 26
  • AF0F84D3-775F-4A0B-B224-6420D11DB1AA.jpeg
    AF0F84D3-775F-4A0B-B224-6420D11DB1AA.jpeg
    183.3 KB · Views: 28
  • C35C1209-0DEE-4AE6-9F02-25C7811EFACE.jpeg
    C35C1209-0DEE-4AE6-9F02-25C7811EFACE.jpeg
    272.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 16AAC963-448E-46D7-887B-4401B27C6069.jpeg
    16AAC963-448E-46D7-887B-4401B27C6069.jpeg
    169.9 KB · Views: 28
  • EECCF9E8-658B-465A-970E-8F8C46E48A9F.jpeg
    EECCF9E8-658B-465A-970E-8F8C46E48A9F.jpeg
    132 KB · Views: 28
Hi! I just received this Herbag last week after searching and waiting months for it. I was able to finally score it on the H.com website a few weeks ago. I noticed that there was a tiny bit (a corner) of peeling on print near the area of the bag curves on the bottom and a tiny scuff on the leather below the buckle. I called customer service and was told there was no exchange available online or in store, but I expressed my concern the peeling might worsen in the future if this is present while it's brand new. They offered an return. I really love the bag, but unsure about this as I might not find it again. Could this be an returned bag? Is the peeling something that can be fixed or repaired in any way by bringing in to the store? The scuff is not something that bothers me as much as it probably would occur during normal usage anyway, but would a little leather conditioner help reduce the appearance? I attached photos and circled the peeling paint area in red.
Hi there
Well that’s got too be disappointing. I’m sorry
I’m not a fabric person persay. I’m not even sure what kind of paint they’re using
I’m sorry I can’t advise you with any certainty. Maybe ask a dry cleaner ? Sometimes they’ve got some amazing hacks !
best of luck and big hugs
Take care
Doc

Hello Doc,
I recently got a pre-loved box Kelly made in 2000 from an online reseller. The Kelly has a few white stains from water on the back (which I was aware before purchasing), but when I received the bag I also noticed these bumpy specks on the sangle and pinhole-like blemishes through out the body of the bag (only on the back side - photos attached). Does it look like it's been repainted? Is this usual quality that you would expect if someone were to touch these up? Thank you for your insight!

Attachments

• 20200623_112426.jpg
    20200623_112426.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20200622_182831.jpg
    IMG_20200622_182831.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20200622_182856.jpg
    IMG_20200622_182856.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_20200622_182909.jpg
    IMG_20200622_182909.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 0606195611_5edb764b3a47a.jpg
    0606195611_5edb764b3a47a.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 54
Reactions: keodi
Hello Doc,
I recently got a pre-loved box Kelly made in 2000 from an online reseller. The Kelly has a few white stains from water on the back (which I was aware before purchasing), but when I received the bag I also noticed these bumpy specks on the sangle and pinhole-like blemishes through out the body of the bag (only on the back side - photos attached). Does it look like it's been repainted? Is this usual quality that you would expect if someone were to touch these up? Thank you for your insight!
Hey there
Water damage usually leaves blister effects and texture issues...not sure I see pinholes maybe send me more close up photos ? As to the over all condition how does the bag feel? Is it silky smooth?
the finish looks a bit rumpled as opposed to smooth which is typical of a vintage box calf bag which has not been upkept with proper spa services over long periods of time. Is this the effect of someone we’re to paint a bag? Um not if I did it lol
Looks rather like “some” color touch may have been done but the whole bag? I’m not sure about that. Sometimes a shop will spray a bag with a spray shine product which might look a bit bubbled upon close inspection ? So if it’s a bit of proper color touch up a pro can remove it and redo it properly? If you would care for more detailed scrutiny send additional photos . Things I like about this Kelly is it appears to be in decent shape considering and it could be made to look better in the right restorer’s hands.
All the best doc

Reactions: hpryohwa
Love the BBK above! Just wanted to say thank you to docride for restoring two 30B for me, one black barenia, one gold swift, both brushed palladium HW. Thank you for all the work you do for me, this thread and TPF! question: can I now touch the handles if I’ve moisturized (with all the hand sanitizer going around, my hands need it)Hugs

image.jpg

Love the BBK above! Just wanted to say thank you to docride for restoring two 30B for me, one black barenia, one gold swift, both brushed palladium HW. Thank you for all the work you do for me, this thread and TPF! question: can I now touch the handles if I’ve moisturized (with all the hand sanitizer going around, my hands need it)Hugs

View attachment 4771216
Hey there 880, well this is a timely and great question! There’s definitely a difference between oily/creams for hands
And alcohol based hand sanitizer gels,wipes and sprays
But they can all cause damage and wear aand break down the finish on finished leather handles and cause darkening or too much lighting respectively to your unfinished leather handles. Best bet if possible is remove excess product from your hands and or allow your hands to dry before handling your bag’s handles. Another trick is to use a little baby powder to dust your bands after using hand lotion to absorb excess oil instead of your bag absorbing it
Just thoughts...
All the best
Doc

Hey there
Water damage usually leaves blister effects and texture issues...not sure I see pinholes maybe send me more close up photos ? As to the over all condition how does the bag feel? Is it silky smooth?
the finish looks a bit rumpled as opposed to smooth which is typical of a vintage box calf bag which has not been upkept with proper spa services over long periods of time. Is this the effect of someone we’re to paint a bag? Um not if I did it lol
Looks rather like “some” color touch may have been done but the whole bag? I’m not sure about that. Sometimes a shop will spray a bag with a spray shine product which might look a bit bubbled upon close inspection ? So if it’s a bit of proper color touch up a pro can remove it and redo it properly? If you would care for more detailed scrutiny send additional photos . Things I like about this Kelly is it appears to be in decent shape considering and it could be made to look better in the right restorer’s hands.
All the best doc
Thank you very much for your insight! I've attached a few more photos for pinhole-like blemish and white spots. The bag does feel pretty smooth overall but for some reason I imagined this leather to have no "pores" like the brand-new tadelakt bearn wallet I saw in H a few months ago.

Oh Doc, of course your work would be far superior! And I LOVED your YouTube videos about conditioning a box Kelly. Hope I can visit your workshop one day if we are ever allowed to travel across the boarder again from Canada!

IMG_20200608_190831_408.jpg

IMG_20200628_111401.jpg

IMG_20200628_111415.jpg

Thank you very much for your insight! I've attached a few more photos for pinhole-like blemish and white spots. The bag does feel pretty smooth overall but for some reason I imagined this leather to have no "pores" like the brand-new tadelakt bearn wallet I saw in H a few months ago.

Oh Doc, of course your work would be far superior! And I LOVED your YouTube videos about conditioning a box Kelly. Hope I can visit your workshop one day if we are ever allowed to travel across the boarder again from Canada!

View attachment 4772029

View attachment 4772030

View attachment 4772031
Hey there
These are great photos and it looks like water damage caused some of these marks
The surface shows the leather has become dry. It’s still pretty though and if you got it for a nice price abd there’s no tears or cracks on the handle a d handle base pads then I’d say keep this beauty and give her some TLC
You aren’t going to fix the surface but you can keep it from getting worse
And yes ! Come visit my workshop and we can buff together!
All the best doc

Reactions: hpryohwa

View attachment 4771216
Hey there 880!
That’s a great question! When you have applied lotion or hand sanitizer take a moment to remove the excess from your hands and/ or in the case of the alcohol based hand sanitizer allow your hands to dry before holding the handles of your bag
I hope this helps ?
Xo doc
PS I’m so happy you are loving your beautiful bags

Reactions: 880
Thank you, wore her out the other day for a walk! So excited! you‘ve made her like a brand new bag! Thank you so much! It started to drizzle, so she got a few drops on her, but I wiped her off when I got home and she’s perfect! I am waiting for a BB Phw 2018 kelly wallet to be sent to me. can/should I do anything to encourage patina? Hugs

Last edited:
Reactions: maxroxxherhandbags
Thank you, wore her out the other day for a walk! So excited! you‘ve made her like a brand new bag! Thank you so much! It started to drizzle, so she got a few drops on her, but I wiped her off when I got home and she’s perfect! I am waiting for a BB Phw 2018 kelly wallet to be sent to me. can/should I do anything to encourage patina? Hugs
Hello there
Awesome on all counts 880!
Let’s see how it looks
I’d suggest a cleaning and conditioning and some buffing to bring up her shine
You can follow along with me on my YouTubes see link below
All the best doc

Reactions: keodi and 880
Hi Docride! I am in a state of panic! I was attempting to get a spot that looked like dullness on my black lizard bag and first used a damp cloth to wipe it but it looked like it took some of the color off onto the cloth as subsequently looked dull. Panicking, I gently used some saphir leather lotion which also seemed to transfer some color but now the area is still dull. I really should have tried this with a Q-tip if anything instead but it’s too late. Any advice or tips?

Hi Docride! I am in a state of panic! I was attempting to get a spot that looked like dullness on my black lizard bag and first used a damp cloth to wipe it but it looked like it took some of the color off onto the cloth as subsequently looked dull. Panicking, I gently used some saphir leather lotion which also seemed to transfer some color but now the area is still dull. I really should have tried this with a Q-tip if anything instead but it’s too late. Any advice or tips?
Hey there!
Ok post some photos
It’s a good thing you knew enough to stop trying to fix it ...that’s a good thing to stop before making things worse
Lizard skin you should avoid Using water and also the shiny surface can dissolve when oily conditioners are used
As you found out
So stop allow it to sit till tomorrow and see if there any improvement
Post a few photos she. You get a chance ok? I’ll be checking back
Hang in there , things like this do happen to the best of us.
Doc

Reactions: maxroxxherhandbags
Hi doc,

I got some stike water stain on my Negonda calfskin garden party bag. Hermes currently don't take repair orders in Texas. Can I do something about it at home? Maybe apply little water, rub it and apply light leather conditioner on it to remove the white water stain marks?