Docride's Hermes Lazarus Thread (can this Hermes be Saved? )

Hi Docride,
How are you? I hope you are well and safe.

I came across this bag and seller had sent me more pictures. I am wondering if you could tell if the leather on the sangles is just dry? Is it something that can be fixed? Also looking at overall condition of the leather, can it be spaed to look luxurious again?

Looking forward to hear from you.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 105
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 105
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 105
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 101
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 104
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    317.2 KB · Views: 104
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 101
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 103
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 101
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 100
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 105
Hi Docride,
How are you? I hope you are well and safe.

I came across this bag and seller had sent me more pictures. I am wondering if you could tell if the leather on the sangles is just dry? Is it something that can be fixed? Also looking at overall condition of the leather, can it be spaed to look luxurious again?

Looking forward to hear from you.

Thank you in advance.
Hello
These are great photos and good questions thank you for posting !
The bag looks dry and the surface looks less than perfectly smooth on close inspection
The finish is like applied color layer on top of the actual leather hence we call this finished leather
When the leather below loses moisture it shrinks but the top coating the finish has no way to do this so as the leather below shrinks the finish kind of ripples and bunches up on itself so you it looks less than the smooth it was when new. Conditioning will help the leather but generally it does not make the surface of they finish smooth again .
So, even though it’s got a bit of aged surface abd friends i personally like this beautiful rare Kelly bag. The areas of greatest concern for me is checking to make sure I don’t have tears at the handle bases ,cracks or tears along the handle or along the sides at the stitches areas ... I hope this helps?
All the best doc

Hi !
(sorry if it was already discussed before)
I have found an old vintage Kelly 32 black Retoune in swift dated 1982.
It is in good shape and leather is still brilliant BUT I noticed a few blister... I guess that they were due to humidity or rain and the owner did not immediately care about it. I have sent an email to Hermes as I do not have a Hermes store here.
Is this bag can be saved?
Here some pictures

Thanks a lot
Hello
I do think conditioning can help ( each areas which is blistered is stiffer and drier than the rest of the non exposed areas ) however I do not think there is away to fix this make it look like perfectly like new. ... but maybe someone else has had great success?
I hope that helps? doc

Reactions: petitefee
Hi dear Docride - I have an LV alma in Vache Natural with some cracks on top of the bag. I would like to give her a nice condioning to prevent the cracks going bigger. can I treat it with liquid mink oil?
Hi I’m not allowed to answer this question here on the Hermes forum I’m sorry
and the shoulder strap has some dry cracks, too.

sorry if the LV bag question does not belong here. I think the leather is very like the hermes vache naturelle.

many thanks!
..Hi I’m not allowed to answer this question here on the Hermes forum I’m sorry

Reactions: ukonvasara
Hi docride. I bought this epsom in-the-loop small wallet from Fashionphile. It was listed as pristine, and there were no flaws in the pictures. But, it arrived today and there are black marks on the back of the wallet. Can I try to clean off the black marks from epsom, and if so, how.....or should I not try? Thanks for your advice!

Attachments

• E8C2AF47-C46D-4361-AC52-C02D821AF77D.jpeg
    E8C2AF47-C46D-4361-AC52-C02D821AF77D.jpeg
    214.9 KB · Views: 74
  • D0428951-9FA7-4FA0-BC7B-1824AF1C11F9.jpeg
    D0428951-9FA7-4FA0-BC7B-1824AF1C11F9.jpeg
    257.5 KB · Views: 75
Hi docride. I bought this epsom in-the-loop small wallet from Fashionphile. It was listed as pristine, and there were no flaws in the pictures. But, it arrived today and there are black marks on the back of the wallet. Can I try to clean off the black marks from epsom, and if so, how.....or should I not try? Thanks for your advice!
ETA, I would only try to clean it after I decided to keep it. I haven’t decided if it’s worth keeping yet.

Hi doc,

it‘s me again.I have decided to take a plunge on a preloved Chevre Birkin. While I do like the bag a lot, I feel like the seller hasn‘t been as candid as I would have wished, especially regarding the inside (I did however have a perfect transaction before with them).Now being slightly weary, I am really checking the bag and there are two things I am having a hard time assessing. May I ask for your opinion on this?
1. There is one small area on the piping where the surface of the leather has peeled. Would you still consider this an easy fix or Is the damage already quite deep and will cause permant trouble.
2. The inside is very worn with 2 small cuts in the lining (like a fingernail poked through)and various stains. I am not worried about the black stains, but could the whitish/grayish areas be mold? And would yo7 think the two cuts are just cosmetic or could they cause further trouble?

Thanks so much in advance!

43A22716-F216-4B76-8E0A-25892AB6A76F.jpeg

Hello There,
I think that thee marks ight be ink strikes? If o they arent' going t just clean off. are you planning on sending it back ? f so dont muck with it. If you cant return it then you can try a soft pink eraser and see if the marks gently lift off.
If its ink its already set , and ink remover will cause color loss afterward and then re-coloring which I would not attempt as a home project.
I hope this helped?
Hugs,doc

Reactions: Annawakes
Hi doc, thanks for the quick reply. I am not sure about the smell. The bag neither has a leather smell nor smells completely neutral. The bag and more so the dustbag have a — I would say— perfume or incense like odor. The bag definitely does not reek, it more like sometimes you meet people and find their perfume unpleasant. The dustbag did however have a pretty nasty stain that apparently only faded after washing. Here is a photo of the inside (but the stain was not on the bottom). The grayish spots inside are only on the base and in various places.

And one thing I just noticed; If I really take a deep sniff, I do have the feeling that the taste in my mouth changes. That being said, I really have no idea what mothballs smell like - maybe it could alos be that?

Hello There,
I think that thee marks ight be ink strikes? If o they arent' going t just clean off. are you planning on sending it back ? f so dont muck with it. If you cant return it then you can try a soft pink eraser and see if the marks gently lift off.
If its ink its already set , and ink remover will cause color loss afterward and then re-coloring which I would not attempt as a home project.
I hope this helped?
Hugs,doc
Thank you!