Coach Rehab and Rescue Club

Thank you Ms Connie, your youtube clip is nicely done !!! However, I thought that we should not use Coach brand cleaners because they contained silicon ???
I don't know. :smile: I use the products I showed in the video. I don't use the coach products. However, for this lady, I was thinking maybe she should just stick with the manufacturers recommendations.

Reactions: Jacynthe and Tilis
Bags that are really dry and seem to be falling apart. Some of them disintegrate in the bath. It has never happened to me. Also if there are any holes, they could cause a problem. I had a briefcase with those stiff handles. There was a tiny hole that let water inside when I dunked and the handles ended up getting mushy. I was able to fix it by injecting superglue into the handles to stiffen them.

I would be careful about dunking a newer bag or some lined bags, but generally anything unlined with a creed and made before 2003 I haven't had problems with.
Same. With vintage bags, I always dunk if the bag is dirty or misshapen. The only problem I've had is with a bag that was already cracking before I dunked it. I pretty much knew it was hopeless, but I dunked anyway just to see what would happen. It did improve, but you can't condition cracks away.

When I do have a NYC bag that looks really dry, I condition it, maybe even a few times, before dunking, letting that conditioner soak in for awhile too. That seems to do the trick.

Thank you. I typically am looking for those bargain thrift vintage, unlined bags and am not spending a lot of money on them but would still hate to ruin one. I have only dunked one lined bag and it is a Madewell bag that I think came out really well. I found the bag on the floor at Goodwill filled with a pringles can and moldy mini doughnuts (I didn’t look to see what else was in there). It had a price tag on it so it wasn’t someone’s lost bag. No way I wasn’t giving that bag a good cleaning! I’m planning on keeping it for now but wonder if it’s like selling a house where there’s been a murder, do you have to disclose things like moldy doughnuts when you resell? :lol:
Nope, you sure don't, as long as the bag does not retain any moldy smells. Makes for a good story though! Lol

I've done a few Madewell bags, both lined and unlined. I usually don't dunk the lined ones that have that white and blue stripe because Madewell leather bleeds tremendously. If the lining matches the bag, I do dunk. Anyway, I find they rehab really well. And that saddle color they have looks gorgeous, even well patinaed (idk if that's a word--haha).

Here's one I dunked and painted, along with a matching wallet. That was a lot of fun!
Screenshot_20221207-111055~2.png

Gorgeous color on this one! I didn't dunk it because of the light colored lining. I just washed it with a wet rag, washed any spots on the lining, and followed that up with several coats of conditioner and Obenaufs. It turned out lovely. They're great bags for rebabbing in my experience.
Screenshot_20221207-111146~2.png

Sorry, I don't think anyone asked for opinions on how to rehab Madewell bags. Lol. I just like to overshare I guess. Haha

Last edited:
Nope, you sure don't, as long as the bag does not retain any moldy smells. Makes for a good story though! Lol

I've done a few Madewell bags, both lined and unlined. I usually don't dunk the lined ones that have that white and blue stripe because Madewell leather bleeds tremendously. If the lining matches the bag, I do dunk. Anyway, I find they rehab really well. And that saddle color they have looks gorgeous, even well patinaed (idk if that's a word--haha).

View attachment 5666728

View attachment 5666729
I've dunked a DKNY bag and a Mulberry Bayswater...that one I held my breath for it. Looked better when it was dry and conditioned

Here's my latest rehab. It's a weird color of burgundy, a bit lighter than most I've worked with from the same time period. Many of the burgundy bags I've rehabbed have been used heavily, and they do darken from that, but even the interior on this bag is lighter. Idk if you can tell from the pictures.

Anyway, I used the Dremel on the brass because I forgot to do it before dunking. It takes awhile to polish with the Dremel, but it turns out so nice!

20221207_100510.jpg

20221207_115319.jpg

20221207_102930.jpg

Here's my latest rehab. It's a weird color of burgundy, a bit lighter than most I've worked with from the same time period. Many of the burgundy bags I've rehabbed have been used heavily, and they do darken from that, but even the interior on this bag is lighter. Idk if you can tell from the pictures.

Anyway, I used the Dremel on the brass because I forgot to do it before dunking. It takes awhile to polish with the Dremel, but it turns out so nice!

View attachment 5667008

View attachment 5667009

View attachment 5667010
That's gorgeous! The color is so pretty. I owned an unused burgundy basic bag that was super dark. I've found that they actually get lighter with age, but usually the color is uneven. Yours looks like it was made that way. Does it have a NYC creed?

Here's one I dunked and painted, along with a matching wallet. That was a lot of fun!
View attachment 5666728

Gorgeous color on this one! I didn't dunk it because of the light colored lining. I just washed it with a wet rag, washed any spots on the lining, and followed that up with several coats of conditioner and Obenaufs. It turned out lovely. They're great bags for rebabbing in my experience.
View attachment 5666729

Sorry, I don't think anyone asked for opinions on how to rehab Madewell bags. Lol. I just like to overshare I guess. Haha
Oh my! Those bags are gorgeous! The one I dunked has dark green cotton twill lining and came out great. I’m giving it a last coat of conditioning and am calling it good. Looks new!

42329E28-07C1-4E79-95A8-52AF51D1F031.jpeg

View attachment 5667008

View attachment 5667009

View attachment 5667010
No. It's a bit later than NYC. It was in really good shape when I got it--used, but hardly, and just misshapen and dry. And the interior leather is lighter too, so yeah, I think it was made that way. Weird, huh?

Interesting to know that even new ones are darker. I agree about the unevenness of the color over time; that definitely happens. I rather like the way it looks. No unevenness of color in this one though!

No. It's a bit later than NYC. It was in really good shape when I got it--used, but hardly, and just misshapen and dry. And the interior leather is lighter too, so yeah, I think it was made that way. Weird, huh?

Interesting to know that even new ones are darker. I agree about the unevenness of the color over time; that definitely happens. I rather like the way it looks. No unevenness of color in this one though!
I'm not surprised that it isn't NYC. A lot of later colors were brighter. Yours looks a lot like the one in this picture. Ignore the 1974 date.

slim satchel 1974.PNG
If you compare these color charts, you can see that 1980 burgundy was a lot darker than 1995's. I don't have a color chart after 1990 and before 1995.

1980 Colors original ten.JPG1995_Fall-a sonoma soho.jpg

I'm not surprised that it isn't NYC. A lot of later colors were brighter. Yours looks a lot like the one in this picture. Ignore the 1974 date.

View attachment 5667669
If you compare these color charts, you can see that 1980 burgundy was a lot darker than 1995's. I don't have a color chart after 1990 and before 1995.

View attachment 5667670View attachment 5667671
Wow! Thank you so much for this! Do you know how long they made the Slim Satchel? I thought the last iteration was in the late 80s, but of course, I could certainly be wrong. And that doesn't mean the colors didn't change between the early and late 80s too.

I love to geek out over all things vintage Coach. Lol. Thanks for helping me do just that!

Last edited:
I looked but could not find a thread on this, so my apologies if this question has already asked. has anyone had experience with rehabbing a wallet? I have this one that I would like to rehab. Any recommendations/tips are appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

View attachment 5667990

View attachment 5667991
People have. The leather is different, thinner, than on purses. Personally I haven't had good luck in dunking but some people have. I feel the leather is so thin that it doesn't plump up from a dunk like it does on a purse, and the card slots and pockets get rumpled. It is hard to get everything flat and smooth again if you dunk. I would clean and condition. I had problems with one wallet that ended up showing a swirly pattern from the conditioner application. I never could get that to go away but it did fade some so it wasn't as noticeable.