Coach Rehab and Rescue Club

To add to Coachaddict4020's informative post... I have recently started heating the Renapur with a hairdryer while it is on the sponge, then very carefully run the warm air over the leather. I let the bag sit for several days, running the warm hairdryer over it periodically, and allow the Renapur to be absorbed over time. Buffing with a soft cloth and horse or goats hair brush as the final step gives a glorious end result.

View attachment 5037859
Well I am back on with rehab mojo to work on my Rambler project. I am back to speculating that it may be a true spectator style, based on other NYC bags I have seen listed online clearly in a spectator style. More on that later. My plan for today is to apply an app of Renapur per LadaZuri’s method. This is the current state:
6B568B53-5798-43C1-B995-4B7FF9A3F220.jpeg

Last edited:
I've been searching this thread but have yet to find a solution for a loose turnlock. I've been using tweezers over a thin rubber glove (so as not to scratch anything) and turning the mechanism clockwise to tighten. I'm not sure it is doing anything. Is it possible to tighten them up or do I need to order a new one? If yes, where would I order one for a vintage Willis?

Thanks so much for any suggestions/advice!!! :hugs:

I've been searching this thread but have yet to find a solution for a loose turnlock. I've been using tweezers over a thin rubber glove (so as not to scratch anything) and turning the mechanism clockwise to tighten. I'm not sure it is doing anything. Is it possible to tighten them up or do I need to order a new one? If yes, where would I order one for a vintage Willis?

I have tried so long to tighten a turnlock to no avail. I had it in a vice and tried to turn to tighten, nothing worked for me. Hoping to hear someone that succeeded!

I have tried so long to tighten a turnlock to no avail. I had it in a vice and tried to turn to tighten, nothing worked for me. Hoping to hear someone that succeeded!

Thank you, Jacynth! I continued with the tweezers and turning the inside nut clockwise, but not much, if anything, happened. Now I've resorted to placing the turnlock upside down and lightly hammering the inside piece. It can't be used as is, so it is worth a try. Will report back! :lol:

Update on the rehab of this spectator compartment bag. The result not as good as I hoped, mainly because the dye I have is not a good match to the tobacco color trim. So I used paint on it end up dislike how it looked, removed the paint and redyed. All those handling really darkened leather in that area, to a point I figured better stop and leave it as is. It will only be a work horse bag anyway. But the method of repairing small missing piping leather will work, just need to execute it better.

IMG_20210403_120245.jpg

IMG_20210403_120255.jpg

IMG_20210403_121434.jpg

IMG_20210403_121800.jpg

IMG_20210403_121217.jpg

This is an impulsive buy. Only reason because price is low, but forgot shipping to Canada is not cheap, lol. End up with $50 total. Wish this is the last time I will do stupid things like this. It has bad piping damaging, I figured best to address the pipping problem before dunk.
These are the steps of repair:
1. Remove about 2” stitches around damaged area.
2 Cut 2 small leather pieces and skive them thin, bigger piece go under the pipping, smaller piece is to fill up the area pipping is missing.
3.Use contact cement glue the leather pieces and pipping together.
4.Dye the added leather piece, and stitch back the pipping.
Now need to wait for dye to settle then dunk. Probably will need to redye the repaired part as color is not a good match, or touch up with paint after rehab.
ETA: used needle to poke some small holes on the added leather, as the texture was too smooth.

View attachment 5041001

View attachment 5041002

View attachment 5041003

View attachment 5041004
Above was refer to this post.

@Coachaddict4020 suggests thebuckleguy . com for turnlocks. Just keep the flat part of the female piece.

Update on the rehab of this spectator compartment bag. The result not as good as I hoped, mainly because the dye I have is not a good match to the tobacco color trim. So I used paint on it end up dislike how it looked, removed the paint and redyed. All those handling really darkened leather in that area, to a point I figured better stop and leave it as is. It will only be a work horse bag anyway. But the method of repairing small missing piping leather will work, just need to execute it better.

View attachment 5044079

View attachment 5044080

View attachment 5044081

View attachment 5044084

View attachment 5044085
Pretty good job, I'd say. It's hard to colour match brown, even harder to repair piping.

The Saddlery is definitely putty :loveeyes:!
I think it’s Taupe :smile:
If I recall correctly, it was offered in gray, which is what this strikes me as. The patina of the gray changing to a neutral is striking!
Wow that looks almost grey!
I pulled out my catalog, the 1988 Holiday catalog lists the color as flannel grey. And the saddlery was available in it!
View attachment 5042123

Thanks all! I really struggle with color sometimes...does anyone know where I can get one of those old Coach leather color sample/swatch sets???

@Lake Effect appreciate the catalog page! And I may be wrong, but now that I’m seeing an example of Flannel Grey, it looks too dark for my Saddlery! I fixed up a Compartment Bag for Christmas for my aunt that I’m pretty sure was flannel grey...I don’t have any pictures but it was close in color to that catalog picture of the Envelope Portfolio.

I’m going back to Putty or Taupe on the Saddlery, she’s a lot lighter than I appreciated. Perfect for spring!!

@Coachaddict4020 suggests thebuckleguy . com for turnlocks. Just keep the flat part of the female piece.

The shipping cost has gone up since the last time I ordered but the total cost is still better than what you’ll find on Ebay & Etsy. The buckle guy ones are good quality for the price- Id highly recommend them as a replacement.

The prongs of turn locks can only be bend and straighten a few times, each time weaken the metal until the prongs break.
When I remove the turn locks, I always use a small needle nose pliers to straighten all the prongs. When put it back, I use the round side of a small stainless steel spoon (the ones you use for sugar), slowly push the prongs to bend from bottom (where it come out of leather), till flat, then flip the spoon use the edge to press the end of prongs down toward leather. Usually can put the turnlock back tight. The key is the prongs need to be straight, so when you bend them with spoon, it will start to bend from the very bottom.

16174779742141914319060692541964.jpg

The prongs of turn locks can only be bend and straighten a few times, each time weaken the metal until the prongs break.
When I remove the turn locks, I always use a small needle nose pliers to straighten all the prongs. When put it back, I use the round side of a small stainless steel spoon (the ones you use for sugar), slowly push the prongs to bend from bottom (where it come out of leather), till flat, then flip the spoon use the edge to press the end of prongs down toward leather. Usually can put the turnlock back tight. The key is the prongs need to be straight, so when you bend them with spoon, it will start to bend from the very bottom.

View attachment 5044151

Thank you LunaSilver!!! I am going to try this!