Coach Rehab and Rescue Club

I found a wonderful site which talks about many different “imperfections” on leather:
www.yarwoodleather.com
I would provide a link if I knew how.
Replying to my own post because going to the website doesn’t give the info. If you google “understanding leather markings” the yarwood information should appear. At least it did for me.

To add to Coachaddict4020's informative post... I have recently started heating the Renapur with a hairdryer while it is on the sponge, then very carefully run the warm air over the leather. I let the bag sit for several days, running the warm hairdryer over it periodically, and allow the Renapur to be absorbed over time. Buffing with a soft cloth and horse or goats hair brush as the final step gives a glorious end result.

View attachment 5037859
Well I am back on with rehab mojo to work on my Rambler project. I am back to speculating that it may be a true spectator style, based on other NYC bags I have seen listed online clearly in a spectator style. More on that later. My plan for today is to apply an app of Renapur per LadaZuri’s method. This is the current state:
View attachment 5043676
I spent time this morning applying Renapur (warming the bag and the Renapur with a hairdryer) to my spectator Rambler. And will follow up with a bit more warming up and brushing over the next few days. It does look nice with a BT strap, borrowed from another bag.
After @Busykitty mentioned she has separate brushes for different color bags, I thought it might be a good idea to clean the one horsehair brush I have. I put warm water in small bucket with a little Dawn dish detergent. The water wasn't gross, but it was dirty. I will certainly do this regularly. And maybe pick up a second brush!
Happy Easter :smile:

Has anyone else seen the new Debi the Restorer videos? Is one she uses cuticle remover to get rid of ink stains. I was wondering if anyone has tried it yet; I'm going to go through some of my pile tomorrow and see if I can find a guinea pig!

Yes, I'm pretty sure that's the one she has in the video.

I suspect the marks she demonstrated with might have been fresh, so we'll see how 20-30 year old marks behave.

Ooo, I'll try this on my court, sooo many pen marks on the inside of the flap. They've faded a little but let's see. I used to be a nail technician so I already have some cuticle remover lying around.

Did you notice Debi the Restorer says all vintage Coach hardware is solid brass in the cleaning the hardware video???
maybe she doesn't define vintage the same way everyone else does.

Yeah, the 'How to authenticate' video has issues. Which I sort of expected since it's like 2 minutes long and paid for by Coach, but still kind of a bummer.

Replying to my own post because going to the website doesn’t give the info. If you google “understanding leather markings” the yarwood information should appear. At least it did for me.

I'm so excited to have received my Small Courier 9505 !!! Authenticated by @Hyacinth and shipped to Canada with the help of a dear TPF friend! Thank you both!!! :love: :love:

I can hardly wait to dunk and start rehabbing! She is going to have some lovely patina!

Any guesses to the colour??? Putty? Saddle?

IMG_8133.jpg IMG_8134.jpg IMG_8135.jpg

There is a stain/discolouration of some kind along the top line under the flap. I doubt it will come out, but it just adds to her character.

IMG_8140.jpg

@Hyacinth estimates late 70s early 80s.

IMG_8138.jpg

I'm so excited to have received my Small Courier 9505 !!! Authenticated by @Hyacinth and shipped to Canada with the help of a dear TPF friend! Thank you both!!! :love: :love:

I can hardly wait to dunk and start rehabbing! She is going to have some lovely patina!

View attachment 5045681 View attachment 5045682 View attachment 5045683

There is a stain/discolouration of some kind along the top line under the flap. I doubt it will come out, but it just adds to her character.

View attachment 5045689

View attachment 5045702
Beautiful bag, congrats!
will you dunk right away or condition it first? maybe dunk a week later?
I did have a bag pipping cracked all over after dunk,now if I suspect a bag is very dry, or the bag is very old, I will cpr it multiple times for about a week, then dunk it.
ETA: If you dunked already (lol), no worry, the chance of pipping crack is very slim. I must have dunked over a hundred bags, some are from 60 or 70’s, only 1 or 2 pipping cracked,

View attachment 5045681 View attachment 5045682 View attachment 5045683

View attachment 5045689

View attachment 5045702

Im jealous but in a good way lol! Congrats!! :loveeyes: :girlsigh:

Beautiful bag, congrats!
will you dunk right away or condition it first? maybe dunk a week later?
I did have a bag pipping cracked all over after dunk,now if I suspect a bag is very dry, or the bag is very old, I will cpr it multiple times for about a week, then dunk it.
ETA: If you dunked already (lol), no worry, the chance of pipping crack is very slim. I must have dunked over a hundred bags, some are from 60 or 70’s, only 1 or 2 pipping cracked,

Excellent idea!!! I will condition several times first to be on the safe side! :hugs:
Im jealous but in a good way lol! Congrats!! :loveeyes: :girlsigh:

Thank you!!! :lol::heart:

Thanks all! I really struggle with color sometimes...does anyone know where I can get one of those old Coach leather color sample/swatch sets???

@Lake Effect appreciate the catalog page! And I may be wrong, but now that I’m seeing an example of Flannel Grey, it looks too dark for my Saddlery! I fixed up a Compartment Bag for Christmas for my aunt that I’m pretty sure was flannel grey...I don’t have any pictures but it was close in color to that catalog picture of the Envelope Portfolio.

I’m going back to Putty or Taupe on the Saddlery, she’s a lot lighter than I appreciated. Perfect for spring!!
I’m pretty sure I was speaking of the Prairie when I said Taupe. The Saddlery was not available in that color. That should help.

Yeah, the 'How to authenticate' video has issues. Which I sort of expected since it's like 2 minutes long and paid for by Coach, but still kind of a bummer.
Now that Coach has started to sell rehabbed bags, I wonder how long it will be before they start to offer authentication and/or ID services for vintage, at least?? Sell reprints of old catalogs??

Lol what else do we do here that they can make a buck off??

Last edited: