Coach Rehab and Rescue Club

Oh I forgot to post that one yesterday! It’s actually a Saddlery - but I’m not sure what color to call her.

I hardly ever remember to take good before/after photos, but here goes...

Before:
View attachment 5039146

After:
View attachment 5039147View attachment 5039148View attachment 5039149View attachment 5039150

I was originally thinking I’d try to even out her color even more, but I think I’m going to leave her as-is now. I like the light browns and grays blending together.
Wow that looks almost grey! But good call on leaving her alone. She's pretty as is :smile: Thanks for sharing :amuse:

Is it the chamberlains healing balm? I’ve had this happen with two bags now and I suspect that as the culprit (the only other products I used on those bags was CPR and blackrock and I’ve never had trouble with those). I noticed a white flakey residue on my Helen’s legacy and just did a quick re-dunk with vinegar and dish soap, wiping the whole bag gently to open the pores, and the leather felt so much better afterward. I conditioner with CPR and finished with blackrock and it’s lovely.

No, it was the milk but I'm glad to hear it wasn't just me with white flakiness. I scrubbed it with dish soap and a brush and left it soaking and it's still drying at the moment but feels much better. I'm a risk taker because I reapplied the Chamberlain's! A super thin coat though. Saphir still hasn't arrived yet. Ahh how I wish I had CPR and BR! One day...

My username should be CPRdreaming:lol:

Last edited:
Oh wow so the Saphir and Cape Cod packages arrived today but the Saphir envelope had been torn open at the top and the bottle wasn't in there! I gave the provider a call and they apologised and arranged for another to be sent out today, which is good. Time to try polishing the hardware, fingers crossed!

ETA: What do you do when the coating has partially come off? Do you just polish until it's all off? Because otherwise I've got the nice brassy colour and then the more silvery areas where the coating came off. Thoughts?

Whew, my hand is cramping up!

Last edited:
A stronger metal polish will take it right off. I use Blue Magic (heavy with ammonia) some of the girls here use "Mothers mag polish" (auto product) it works well also.
I tried using a dremel , but it faceted the metal, which I found unacceptable.
I had no luck with the boil method, it left the coating and discolored the metal which came right off thankfully.
Hope this helps... I'm sure their other ideas here.

Oh wow so the Saphir and Cape Cod packages arrived today but the Saphir envelope had been torn open at the top and the bottle wasn't in there! I gave the provider a call and they apologised and arranged for another to be sent out today, which is good. Time to try polishing the hardware, fingers crossed!

ETA: What do you do when the coating has partially come off? Do you just polish until it's all off? Because otherwise I've got the nice brassy colour and then the more silvery areas where the coating came off. Thoughts?

I obviously don't know how to post see 33861

Reactions: Jacynthe

#0000 steel wool eats through the top coating with no problem. You can get a bundle of it for a few dollars from any hardware store. Peel off a thin layer to use on the hardware. Wear gloves & safety glasses & do it over a plastic bag or trash can. You don’t wanna breathe in those small metal & glass particles or get them in your eyes- they can be dangerous. After you remove the coating, you can use any polishing cloth or paste on the hardware. It’ll be gleaming.

Coachaddict4020's suggestions are excellent... hardware work definitely causes finger/hand cramping! Most of us hate doing it! :lol:

A stronger metal polish will take it right off. I use Blue Magic (heavy with ammonia) some of the girls here use "Mothers mag polish" (auto product) it works well also.
I tried using a dremel , but it faceted the metal, which I found unacceptable.
I had no luck with the boil method, it left the coating and discolored the metal which came right off thankfully.
Hope this helps... I'm sure their other ideas here.
#0000 steel wool eats through the top coating with no problem. You can get a bundle of it for a few dollars from any hardware store. Peel off a thin layer to use on the hardware. Wear gloves & safety glasses & do it over a plastic bag or trash can. You don’t wanna breathe in those small metal & glass particles or get them in your eyes- they can be dangerous. After you remove the coating, you can use any polishing cloth or paste on the hardware. It’ll be gleaming.
Just a quick word...be careful when you are using the 0000 steel wool. I pushed to hard and did damage to my middle finger and strained it. Had to have a steroid injection in the finger to get rid of swelling .

Just a quick word...be careful when you are using the 0000 steel wool. I pushed to hard and did damage to my middle finger and strained it. Had to have a steroid injection in the finger to get rid of swelling .

I agree. I'd suggest that limiting the time one works on hardware is advisable, no matter what polishing aid you are using. The finger/thumb strain is painful and you can certainly do damage.

My process is now giving a go with a toothbrush and polish to get all the gunk off. Then steel wool to even the color/remove coating. Then I put polish on again very lightly, and then buff with the dremel with the felt attachments.

Finished the British tan Basic bag! Didn't really need much, but since she has some years on her, I dunked anyway. I will definitely think long and hard before I dunk another NYC bag. Post dunk, the piping on the top pulled away from the seam, the zipper was unraveling a bit on that side, and it cracked a tiny bit near the d-ring! At least I'm 99% sure it happened during dunk, because I didn't notice any issues before. Definitely a learning experience. I cemented the piping the best I could, dabbed it with the Saphir med brown, and it looks decent. Cant get good pics here right now. Then I put so of the Aleene's glue on my fingers and ran it along where the material on the zipper was beginning to unravel to stop it from getting worse. I filled in the tiny crack near the d-ring with cement, and I am going to use it a few days and make sure how it holds up before I decide if I want to paint it or not. It's tiny so I might leave it alone.

Overall, happy with they way it turned out, and getting ready to move in if I can make myself move out of my court. Also happy that with my new rainbow strap, I can wear my basic bags and my swinger crossbody! Super excited to see how it works with the Swinger. I have so many bags I love I have a hard time deciding what to carry.

View attachment 5039170

The piping fix:
View attachment 5039172

The hard to see tiny crack fix:
View attachment 5039175

ETA it looks like there is a gap where I fixed the piping, I dont know if it's shadow or angle. Will try to get better pics tomorrow.
Gorgeous!

Are you sure you didn't throw away the sponges thinking they were packaging foam? Didn't someone almost did that here?? I can't remember who. Here's a pic of the sponge that came with the Renapur.
View attachment 5041758

I just started applying it to my bag and then realised it was still very slightly damp! I tried to wipe it off with conditioner. Ahh, I'm so crazy and paranoid now worrying it'll keep the excess water in and rot the leather. Too many hiccups in the process so far haha, can't bear any more. Stuffed some silica gel packets into the slip pockets.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: houseof999