Coach Rehab and Rescue Club

Hi, Lola! Some people are "anti-dunk," which I don't fully understand. They use saddle soap and wiping instead. I like dunking. When I dunk, I don't soak. Just scrub it around for a few minutes in the water, then rinse. One big recommendation here is to use vinegar in the rinse water (kills mold, if any). I stuff with bubble wrap while drying. Some use towels. And I put on a layer of leather CPR while still wet. And then more, and more (as needed). Generally a day or a half day between applications. I really let it dry good. (Had some issues before with mold appearing on not fully dry bags.) Then the blackrock. If needed along the way, re-glueing, retouching dye, polishing hardware, sometimes replacing hardware. These bags are resilient and come back looking amazing.
Thank you so much, Connie! I really appreciate your response and the tips. 😊 (Btw, I love Seattle! My daughter & granddaughter live in Bremerton, so I visit often!)

Reactions: ConnieinSeattle
I see several recent queries about ink stains. I recently read about an a steamy mover that specializes in getting rid of ink stains called Amodex. It was reviewed in the New York Times’ Wirecutter section as being the best fabric stain remover on the market. I’m wondering if any of you have tried it on leather?

I was thinking I want to meet this steamy mover!

I've tried Amodex several times and it did nothing.

Edge kote is super hard to work with. It is so thin that it runs everywhere. You have to be super patient and put it on in tiny layers, which takes forever. I think there are probably other brands that would be easier to use.
There is a European edge “paint”/finisher brand called Giardini that works better than Fieblings’ EdgeKote. It’s expensive, and once you’ve used it a few times, even though it’s not used up, it becomes too thick and gunky. However, it comes in black, red and other colors. Refinishing leather edges is a process, one I actually learned by reading Giardini’s website and instructions. First, you have to remove the remnants of the old edge coating. You can use sandpaper for this, but I actually have found it quite handy to use a Dremel. It works much faster. The idea is you need to have the edge very smooth without any coating on it. Then, if you use Giardini, there’s a basecoat that has to go down first, then whatever color you’re using, and then there is a finishing coat. This is why Giardini is expensive, because you need to use all three. However, it looks nice when done. The applicator to use whether it’s Edge Kote by Fiebling or Giardini, is called a “ leather edge dye pen.” They cost seven or eight bucks and you can get them on Amazon. They are tapered and come to a point at the end. They are cylindrical so that you can dip them into the edge coat substance and then carefully roll them onto the edge of the bag. it takes some practice to get it right. Take a look: https://a.co/d/7zu7yOy
When I use Fiebling Edge Kote, I have to use several applications and layer it. You can’t put too much on at once, you need to put on a thin coat, let it dry, put another coat. Giardini is much thicker than EdgeKote and you don’t need more than two layers. I can’t remember because it’s been a while since I’ve used it but I think I’ve used two layers and not just a single layer.

There is a European edge “paint”/finisher brand called Giardini that works better than Fieblings’ EdgeKote. It’s expensive, and once you’ve used it a few times, even though it’s not used up, it becomes too thick and gunky. However, it comes in black, red and other colors. Refinishing leather edges is a process, one I actually learned by reading Giardini’s website and instructions. First, you have to remove the remnants of the old edge coating. You can use sandpaper for this, but I actually have found it quite handy to use a Dremel. It works much faster. The idea is you need to have the edge very smooth without any coating on it. Then, if you use Giardini, there’s a basecoat that has to go down first, then whatever color you’re using, and then there is a finishing coat. This is why Giardini is expensive, because you need to use all three. However, it looks nice when done. The applicator to use whether it’s Edge Kote by Fiebling or Giardini, is called a “ leather edge dye pen.” They cost seven or eight bucks and you can get them on Amazon. They are tapered and come to a point at the end. They are cylindrical so that you can dip them into the edge coat substance and then carefully roll them onto the edge of the bag. it takes some practice to get it right. Take a look: https://a.co/d/7zu7yOy
When I use Fiebling Edge Kote, I have to use several applications and layer it. You can’t put too much on at once, you need to put on a thin coat, let it dry, put another coat. Giardini is much thicker than EdgeKote and you don’t need more than two layers. I can’t remember because it’s been a while since I’ve used it but I think I’ve used two layers and not just a single layer.
Thanks for the info. I ordered one of those leather edge dye pens just now! We'll see if I have less smeary messes. :smile:

I finally got brave enough to dunk this thrifted bag that BeenBurned was kind enough to authenticate. I was hyper-vigilant with shaping the bottom in hopes that this will be something I might be able to keep and carry on occasion. I set a digital reminder to change the towels tomorrow and can’t wait until it’s dry enough to perform Leather CPR.
Happy Tuesday to the authenticators and Coachies. I’m hoping you can assist me with this bag.

I thrifted this Coach Hampton Lunch Tote and would value your expertise.
~ 11”H X 9.5”W X 3” D (She’s kind of hard to measure due to being smooshed!)

Here are photos. I can add more if needed. If authentic, she will make a fun project bag.

View attachment 5968926View attachment 5968927View attachment 5968928View attachment 5968929View attachment 5968925

Hi, I recently aquired some vintage Coach bags that I would like to rehab, but a couple of the bags have some white spots that I think are mold. There's also a bit of a musty smell. You can see some of the white spots on the attached picture of this vintage briefcase.

I know that vinegar can be helpful in destroying the mold but I am not sure how it should be used during the rehab?

I have seen references to spraying the bag with vinegar before rehabbing, and other comments about adding vinegar to the soapy bath water or to the rinse water.

I have also read comments about using different types of vinegar. I have White Vinegar at home but I could easily buy a different kind of vinegar, if that is preferred?

I would love to hear the opinions of other rehabbers about the best ways to deal with mold during a vintage bag rehab, thanks!

Briefcase_Mold.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: CaseyBoston
Hi, I recently aquired some vintage Coach bags that I would like to rehab, but a couple of the bags have some white spots that I think are mold. There's also a bit of a musty smell. You can see some of the white spots on the attached picture of this vintage briefcase.

I know that vinegar can be helpful in destroying the mold but I am not sure how it should be used during the rehab?

I have seen references to spraying the bag with vinegar before rehabbing, and other comments about adding vinegar to the soapy bath water or to the rinse water.

I have also read comments about using different types of vinegar. I have White Vinegar at home but I could easily buy a different kind of vinegar, if that is preferred?

I would love to hear the opinions of other rehabbers about the best ways to deal with mold during a vintage bag rehab, thanks!

View attachment 6010573
White vinegar is fine for mold. I don't think those spots are mold. It looks like something spilled on there. It seems to me the vinegar would be most effective in the rinse but at any step, it would kill mold.

Need some help on what to use on the coach coated canvas to prevent dye transfers?
I just bought a white bag thats coated canvas with leather trims.
Does anyone have a specific spray that works fine on the coated canvas and leather from coach?
I tried looking through the search bar cause I thought I saw a thread before about it but cant seem to find it again.

Piping repair question! I've looked through previous posts but didn't find quite what I'm after.

The Angelus filler label says to apply in thin coats, sanding in between. Because filler is white, paint (or a conditioner/paint mix) is the final step.

Has anyone tried mixing some paint with the final coat of filler (and is there any reason not to do this)? Then maybe do a top coat of paint or paint + conditioner?

Thoughts?

Starting another rehab. I really like this bag, which I got from shopgoodwill.com for $8. Post-dunk, already looking better! I may or may not need to retouch the black color with dye. If so, I've got black dye at the ready. And of course, leather CPR.

Attachments

• 20240605_105550.jpg
    20240605_105550.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 20240605_092520.jpg
    20240605_092520.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 10
Where should I ask this question? I'm perplexed! What is this silver ring on the strap for? Is it some secret way to adjust length and change the style? I can find no purpose for it! The bag is style # F17489 and includes a long flat strap, attached to bag with a ring at one end with a clip hardware on the other end. I figured out how to make it a crossbody or a shoulder length by doubling it. That ring is not a part of either.

Attachments

• 20240606_084122.jpg
    20240606_084122.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240606_084103.jpg
    20240606_084103.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 8
Where should I ask this question? I'm perplexed! What is this silver ring on the strap for? Is it some secret way to adjust length and change the style? I can find no purpose for it! The bag is style # F17489 and includes a long flat strap, attached to bag with a ring at one end with a clip hardware on the other end. I figured out how to make it a crossbody or a shoulder length by doubling it. That ring is not a part of either.
I think I figured it out. The ring can push through the slit to the other side, and then it can be hooked like this for the crossbody strap. PS: I love this bag so much! I'm keeping it. Rehab in process.

Attachments

• 20240606_084903.jpg
    20240606_084903.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited: