Celine Chitty-chat club!

I spoke to the SA at Celine on Monday and they said the box bag is going to be discontinued. They didn’t even have them on display and he had to show me what was left which was only a few in a drawer.
OH WOW really!!!? Can't believe I made it just in time. Bought my Celine teen in Feb. Petty but i guess with Philo getting her own line it was bound to happen.

I just purchased the teen triomphe in black shiny calfskin and the new black leather has a completely different feel. Apparently the black they are now using is slightly less shiny. I prefer this new black leather, it feels more smooth and slightly less rubbery to the touch? So also less chance of fingerprints. I was able to see both in store. SA said they weren’t told when this change was going to happen but it’s very very recent.
Thanks for the update. I think I would prefer the less shiny one as well. Thing is, I own the box bag in camel and while it is one of my favorite bags in my collection, I am so scared to use it because of potential scratches. I’ve had it for almost four years now and can count on one hand how many times I’ve used it. This is why I’ve hesitated to purchase the Triomphe. However, I am on my way to Spain in a few weeks and if I happen to find it there, then I may just have to purchase it. The VAT return makes the price a bit easier to swallow as well since I know it won’t be an everyday bag.

OH WOW really!!!? Can't believe I made it just in time. Bought my Celine teen in Feb. Petty but i guess with Philo getting her own line it was bound to happen.
I know, I was so sad to hear this too. I would have thought they would have kept this in their line forever because it’s so classic. I feel like everything in fashion eventually comes around again and maybe they will bring it back for a limited release.

Thanks for the update. I think I would prefer the less shiny one as well. Thing is, I own the box bag in camel and while it is one of my favorite bags in my collection, I am so scared to use it because of potential scratches. I’ve had it for almost four years now and can count on one hand how many times I’ve used it. This is why I’ve hesitated to purchase the Triomphe. However, I am on my way to Spain in a few weeks and if I happen to find it there, then I may just have to purchase it. The VAT return makes the price a bit easier to swallow as well since I know it won’t be an everyday bag.
Definitely think getting Celine in Europe will be cheaper. Luckily, buffing out scratches is a free service with Celine.

So tough to have bags that you don’t use out of fear of it getting scratched. I think I prob would baby it until I get my first scratch, then I would probably use the hell out of the bag and then 6 months later send it to spa!

It's weird why would they remove the Classic Box section all together though?
Hedi Slimane’s desire to keep his brands 100% under his artistic vision is very intense. I would not be surprised if he wants to eliminate any sign of old celine, as that is not “his” aesthetic. also from LVMH perspective, they have Phoebe’s own line coming soon and will want to hype up a new generation of her bags.

Last edited:
Hedi Slimane’s desire to keep his brands 100% under his artistic vision is very intense. I would not be surprised if he wants to eliminate any sign of old celine, as that is not “his” aesthetic. also from LVMH perspective, they have Phoebe’s own line coming soon and will want to hype up a new generation of her bags.
Personally I think the box bag was just “replaced” in popularity by the triomphe as the “classic” Celine bag. It may be true that hedi wants to keep his vision but then why do they still sell phoebe’s belt bag, luggage bag, cabas tote etc.

Bags and their styles come and go.

„Eliminating any sign of old celine“ sounds harsh to me. The PP box wasn’t the first interpretation of the classic box style in the history of Celine. How many styles vanished over time during MK or PP era?

Every creative director is interested in showing his own vision or aesthetics and this isn’t Hedi-exclusive.
Further, the classic box had critics either. Though I loved the design it was way to heavy for me and the buckles hurt my shoulder.

This discussion about old and new Celine seems to be an emotional one sometimes. I appreciate the development of the brand under Hedi Slimane and still admire some of the PP celine styles.

And - maybe an unpopular opinion - I think Hedis designs are much more inspired by the history of Celine than the PP ones. To me „old celine“ is not defined as the PP era. Old Celine - to me - is the 70s vibe, besace, shoulder and coated canvas bags.

The phantom, trapeze or trio bags were pretty for sure. But I don’t see the history of the fashion house in these designs. When I am now looking at the Triomphe, the Bostons or the 16 I see something I missed in PP styles.

I am really curious how the brand will develop in the future.

Good points. Both hedi and phoebe reference archival designs but I think hedi’s are probably more literal. The luggage bag was actually based on an archival design as you can see here:

@abacuo
That is interesting, thanks for this information. I have never been a big fan of the luggage because always see the „face“ in it and find it pretty heavy. So that’s why I might have missed this piece of history.

Yes, „literal“ maybe describes his interpretation best.

Received some credits from Vestiaire that will be expiring very soon, so here’s a fun question
:smile:

If you had $1000-$1500 to spend, what would your choice of bag be? Of course you can choose up to a couple thousand dollars and have approximately $1500 offset from the total. Need some advice!

My work wardrobe is pretty feminine for work, and as for weekend/casual, I like wearing white and denim a lot.

Received some credits from Vestiaire that will be expiring very soon, so here’s a fun question
:smile:

If you had $1000-$1500 to spend, what would your choice of bag be? Of course you can choose up to a couple thousand dollars and have approximately $1500 offset from the total. Need some advice!

My work wardrobe is pretty feminine for work, and as for weekend/casual, I like wearing white and denim a lot.
Celine 16 without any doubt.

Celine finally offers the Triomphe belt buckle in silver for women as well!

From the first moment I saw the Triomphe belt, I really liked its design. I only wear silver hardware, and noticed the silver finish is available for purchase only in the men's section. So on my last visit to Paris last year, I stopped by the Celine boutiques in La Samaritaine and Galerie Lafayette, and asked the SAs there why the silver finish is not offered for women as well. They murmured something about it conflicting with the brand's vision of the ideal woman aesthetic of '70s-esque golden glam, and gestured at the men's boutique nearby.

I felt disappointed by this approach. It might sound a little harsh, but I sensed that if Celine doesn't allow their customers to choose between silver and gold hardware, then they might not want me as a client.
By the way, I've tried comparing the men's and the women's belt images online, and apart from the gold/silver finish, both the buckle size and the belt strap seemed completely alike, so why insist selling only the gold finish to women?

Now with the silver option officially being offered for women as well (and looking at the photos online, it still looks just as the men's), I reconsider buying it. What do you think? Should I set the bad feelings aside and just buy it?