Burberry Bag Owners: Are Burberry Bags made in China?

I went in to a newly opened Burberry store in our city to ask if there was any way I can get my Burberry check bag cleaned up as there were black marks all over the bag. The SA asked me where I got it from and I told her it was from holt a few yrs ago. She said that they'd have to send it out to Toronto to get cleaned... So we got to chatting and she told me that The CHECK bags are indeed MADE IN CHINA while the rest were MADE IN ITALY. So ledson learned ask the SA where the bags are in made to avoid surprises. Happy shopping :smile:

For a "Made in Italy" bag, the letters are printed on the leather and looks classy. A real nice touch!

A "Made in China" bag, however, has "Made in China" printed in a cheap piece of cloth which looks similar to bags that are sold in Target. The feeling is just not the same.

From the outside, you may not be able to tell easily. Still, you just know.

For a "Made in Italy" bag, the letters are printed on the leather and looks classy. A real nice touch!

A "Made in China" bag, however, has "Made in China" printed in a cheap piece of cloth which looks similar to bags that are sold in Target. The feeling is just not the same.

From the outside, you may not be able to tell easily. Still, you just know.

I have bought a couple of Burberry haymarket bags that are made in Italy.

Over the President Day's weekend (mid-February), I bought a new nova check bag at Burberry store. The SA didn't mention anything about "Made in China". After I got home and saw the little cloth tag "Made in China" inside my bag, I felt cheated and angry. Well, I returned it and got my money back. :faint:

I may not buy any Burberry bag in the future, unless it is made in Italy.

Do you think Burberry is trying to downgrade their brand image to Coach level? I can't think why else they would start outsourcing their production to China. Some Longchamp pliage bags are made in china as well nowadays and I feel somewhat cheated when I buy a luxury brand that is supposed to represent the country it originated from, be made someplace halfway around the world just to save production costs for the company. I noticed their Burberry Brit coats are made in Malaysia, China or Indonesia. It really puts me off the brand when I expect at least their iconic raincoats to be made in England or Scotland.

yes there are authentic Burberry bags made in China- kind of a turn of for me, even if you think that's snobby of me. When I look at brands, I look at their origins as well. The English are famous for their trenchcoats and style/tailoring, pretty much their whole look due to a societal mindset. Having an English brand produced in China is just odd and strange. Imagine if Chanel was made in China... wouldn't that put you off? Mind you, if they are producing at lower costs in China, shouldn't their prices reflect that? Sadly, no.

Of course, this may also explain why China is getting so good at producing AAAA+++ quality fakes, since the resources are there in the first place.

I would think the bags made in Italy would become more valuable as time goes on. I just purchased a vintage Burberry. Recycle, so earth friendly. To bad they didn't move production to the U.S. We could use the jobs.

Hi-- this is my first post here, but I had to comment. I have a Burberry tote... not sure which one. It's trimmed with gold leather and fabric is a sort of shimmery version of the nova check. It's made in China. Compared to the black version, which is made in Italy... well, there is no comparison. Mine is stiffer and waaay heavier (and not in that good substantial way either.) The gold has started flaking off the leather after five light trips out. I have Burberry Blue bags that are made in Japan that I've dragged, dropped, thrown, gotten wet, etc that are holding up better AND cost less.

What's most disappointing to me is not so much that the bag is wearing out after fairly minimal use-- I expect that from something made in China-- but that Burberry had the gall to charge the same price this as the one that was made in Italy.

This is a great thread. I was planning to buy a Burberry, but I'm having second thoughts now. I guess I need to look at it into a vintage bag. I try to stay away from "Made In China" items when I can.

Oh no! I had no idea :hrmm: Of course, this is just as I bought 2 bags and a wallet - they arrive tomorrow. Oh well...will use them for a while (esp the candy pink check for summer) but flip and get an Italian-made product. I hope the quality didn't suffer...quality control, anyone? Ugh.

There are still lots of Burberry bags made in Italy, the Nova line is made in China but that is what I have and love it, no problems with it whatsoever, unfortunately reality is many are outsourcing now and those that are not still often have Chinese working in Italy or only assemble products otherwise made in China in Italy, I do not think anyone should make a decision based on the Made in China tag anymore but of course it is an individual decision.