Travel Barcelona

Love Barcelona! Gorgeous city, gorgeous people, very easy and enjoyable atmosphere.

We took a trip through much of Spain and I was a bit surprised that overall Barcelona was by far my favorite stop on the trip. Even over Madrid with it's art museums, the Alhambra in s. Spain, etc. Not that I've traveled everywhere, but Barcelona is unlike any other city in the world perhaps because of it's location and also the Catalan and Gaudi influences.

hey ladies,

I'm headed to Barcelona between 13-17 February.

would anyone have any tips on what the weather would be like- should I be packing a coat proper or can I get away with just a jacket and a thin sweater?

secondly, is it safe/alright for me to travel around town at night? I may have to do just that on my last night in Barcelona and the hotel I'm at is small and doesn't really offer room service.

lastly, restaurant recommendations would be most welcome! :smile: I'll be staying at eixample area for 2 nights and near the world trade center for 2 nights to be near my work conference.

by the way, if anyone can suggest what items to pick up as souvenirs for my close friends, that would be much appreciated! :smile:

thanks!

barcelona is a great city! I was just there in october.:hbeat: there is so much to see & do. you will have a great time. june will probably be crowded since it is peak season.

there are many antoni gaudi buildings/structures to see:
1. la sagrada familia is a must see. I highly recommend purchasing & printing tickets online beforehand and you will avoid a 2-3 hour line.
2. parc guell
3. palau guell
4. casa batllo
5. casa mila (la pedrera)
even if you do not have time to go inside all the gaudi houses, you should at least see the outside.

museums:
1. Picasso museum
2. museu nacional d'art de catalunya - even if you do not go inside, the building & surrounding area is beautiful

las ramblas
barcelona cathedral

if you have time, take a trip to Montserrat. I did not get a chance to do this but I hear it is beautiful.

also, when shopping for gifts/souvenirs, definitely bargain! I was looking at some t-shirts, had asked how much they were, and then I was about to walk out of the shop. suddenly, they slashed the price in half and I didn't even ask. after that, I learned to always bargain with them!

have a great time!

^They have listed everything I would have said to see. Barcelona is one of my all time favorite cities and anything touched by Antonin Gaudi was on my list. We hired a drive for an afternoon just to drive us to all his buildings, Sagrada Familia (he tipped us on how to get inside without waiting in line a long time; we paid admission, just not in the regular long line) and Parc Guell. I couldn't get enough.

The Picasso Museum is a treasure. Las Ramblas is one of those crazy things to experience. Hold on to your bag, though--pickpockets will look for the tourists. There was a wonderful open food market there and lots of buskers (costumed perfomers who are so still you swear they are statues. And don't take a photo of them without leaving some money for them.

^They have listed everything I would have said to see. Barcelona is one of my all time favorite cities and anything touched by Antonin Gaudi was on my list. We hired a drive for an afternoon just to drive us to all his buildings, Sagrada Familia (he tipped us on how to get inside without waiting in line a long time; we paid admission, just not in the regular long line) and Parc Guell. I couldn't get enough.

The Picasso Museum is a treasure. Las Ramblas is one of those crazy things to experience. Hold on to your bag, though--pickpockets will look for the tourists. There was a wonderful open food market there and lots of buskers (costumed perfomers who are so still you swear they are statues. And don't take a photo of them without leaving some money for them.

We are going this year and I am getting a little nervous about that. Is it better in your opinion to leave a designer bag at home and carry something nondescript or is a nice purse OK if it is secure. We are going to be all over spain with a group and I would like to take a nice bag that can do day and evenings but not at the expense of missing the sights while scanning for trouble iykwim
I don't mean a birkin or kelly but something that can go day to dinner.
Any advice? Tia

Anyone.......group advice always welcome :lol:

We are going this year and I am getting a little nervous about that. Is it better in your opinion to leave a designer bag at home and carry something nondescript or is a nice purse OK if it is secure. We are going to be all over spain with a group and I would like to take a nice bag that can do day and evenings but not at the expense of missing the sights while scanning for trouble iykwim
I don't mean a birkin or kelly but something that can go day to dinner.
Any advice? Tia

Anyone.......group advice always welcome :lol:

IMO, secure is the key, not the brand of bag. I wear shoulder bags, but made sure the body of the bag wasn't on my back; I kept it in front of me, usually with one hand on it. Others may have a different opinion, but this has worked for me.