Balenciaga Re-Sale Value: Best and Worst, eBay Demand

Best: hardware and years already mentioned, and I think the purse is gradually gaining momentum as it hits us that it is discontinued. Also, generally anything with amazing leather in great condition. I actually think the really little bags (shoulders and the like) sell amazingly well because of their versatility and for many, rarity.

Worst: Smokey and dirty handles bags, the bigger bags and couriers.... I also see 2 mini-bowlings that have been for sale for a little while now on eBay (but I just think they're overpriced). Ponyhair. Many of the very recent f/w 06 bags with the less favorite leather.

People are saying S/S 06 are bad but what about A/W 06? Whats the difference?

welp, i never said that s/s '06 are bad, i'm just saying i took a big loss in selling them (& most were BNWT) :girlsigh:...one of my greatest pet peeves is people dissing the '06 leather...i've got 3 b-bags from s/s '06 & 3 from f/w '06 & i adore them :heart:...but in terms of sales, i probably lost about $2K collectively (while most '05 bags & earlier almost always sell for full retail or beyond & most of them are used)...but i will say that the few f/w '06 bags i've sold have been easier sales & i got closer to retail for them...but i don't think i've ever even broken even on a b-bag sale :sad:

I think the leather on s/s 06 was not the best imo.. compared to older bags ofcourse. I am glad to hear that the leather has improved this season.
Also, Bags selling in current seasons do not sell well and you are lucky if you break even. I think it's because they are widely available and people are still looking for their favorite discontinued color. I remember when I sold all of my pre spring 05 during the season to get ready for fall 05. I lost money. That ended up being the biggest mistake because the leather went down hill and prices for older bags became priceless.

I've noticed throughout my browsing that black city bags seem to sell at drastically different prices, depending on the year it is from, even if all are in like new condition. Why is this? What years are more desirable than others? How do you determine a resale value in this situation?

LOL, I was going to say supply and demand is probably the primary driver.

But then that seemed so obvious.

My elaboration: sometimes everyone just NEEDS a Black Work and there are none, so the few the come available are pricey.

Other times the market is swamped with them. In which case the 06 seems least expensive, followed by the 07s, and then the 05s, and so on.

I think bag year is the biggest driver of price (as oppose to condition).

The leather!!

I bought an 06 bag from NM and an then lucked into an 05 bag. Here is a side by side comparo, and I just wish you could have felt the difference:

bal010.jpg

(the 06 is the crispy dry one on the left, the 05 is the smooshy glossy one on the right)

But what makes the older bags more expensive when they are all black? :P

But what makes the older bags more expensive when they are all black? :P

In my short experience thus far, it seems that its about the leather since each year has yielded a slightly different type of leather finish and appearance so its about finding your favourite year. FOr many, its the older seasons that used the softest leather. Its a preference thing...