Books & Music Any Romance book readers here on tPF

I haven't seen the fun "clinch" picture since the 90s! It irritated me when the cover art looked nothing like the characters, but it was so florrid and overwrought that I loved it. Then there was the "object" covers - I still have no idea what a tuffet or a brooch has to do with the book. But most of the late 90s and early 2000s books had still-life luxury covers. I loved the flyleaf art that was a single visual interpretation of the entire book...
As for the current trend of "beefcake" covers - very pretty men, but why is the hero dark-haired and the model a blonde?

Completely agree with you, especially on the first two! I gave up on the Wallflower series. Many successful romance authors follow the same route: great first books, then they start pumping them out and the quality falls by the wayside.

I love the cover art! It's part of the romance novel package. When I first got my Kindle, I thought, "What about the cover art though?!". As it turns out the Kindle is so damn fantastic, it doesn't matter. :P My only complaint is that cover art these days just doesn't have enough Fabio. I remember the days when it felt like every single romance novel had Fabio on the front... :roflmfao:
On the Nook, they have they cover Art. Thank goodness.

I am split on the cover art thing. On the one hand, I think they are part of the deal with romances but on the other hand, if I'm on public transit, I try to hide the cover because I really don't want to attract any kind of attention. Moot point now I have a kindle!
LOL! Too true. That's why I had a book cover. Especially when I didn't want my Mom to ask me what I was reading.;)

I haven't seen the fun "clinch" picture since the 90s! It irritated me when the cover art looked nothing like the characters, but it was so florrid and overwrought that I loved it. Then there was the "object" covers - I still have no idea what a tuffet or a brooch has to do with the book. But most of the late 90s and early 2000s books had still-life luxury covers. I loved the flyleaf art that was a single visual interpretation of the entire book...
As for the current trend of "beefcake" covers - very pretty men, but why is the hero dark-haired and the model a blonde?
Oh, My Goodness. You have the cover Art down pat!

Mary Balogh's books mostly always have the still life covers.

Completely agree with you, especially on the first two! I gave up on the Wallflower series. Many successful romance authors follow the same route: great first books, then they start pumping them out and the quality falls by the wayside.

I love the cover art! It's part of the romance novel package. When I first got my Kindle, I thought, "What about the cover art though?!". As it turns out the Kindle is so damn fantastic, it doesn't matter. :P My only complaint is that cover art these days just doesn't have enough Fabio. I remember the days when it felt like every single romance novel had Fabio on the front... :roflmfao:

You can see covers on Kindle- not in color, of course. You just hit menu while you are in the book and "go to" and click cover. You can also use the arrows and click right and it will show the cover, once you are on a title and you can also add to collections that way too.

LOL! Too true. That's why I had a book cover. Especially when I didn't want my Mom to ask me what I was reading.;)

Exactly! The bus I used to take had some creepy folks on there so I would plug in earbuds and read so they don't try to talk to me. So reading a romance with a suggestive cover was out of the question. I used to bring a postcard to use as a bookmark and I held it against the front. LOL! Necessity is the mother of all invention! :P

You just about covered it! One of my pet peeves is the generic cover where they just have some people on there but neither of the main characters look like them. Annoys the heck outta me.

Exactly! The bus I used to take had some creepy folks on there so I would plug in earbuds and read so they don't try to talk to me. So reading a romance with a suggestive cover was out of the question. I used to bring a postcard to use as a bookmark and I held it against the front. LOL! Necessity is the mother of all invention! :P

lmao i did the same!!

Lol! Never thought of that one.