2017 resolution - shopping my own bag and wallet collection. Any one else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to the new posters on this thread!! Let's face 2017 together!

I had my first child in November and I'm realizing that it's even sillier for me to have as much as I do, as aside from going to and from work, I'll be spending a lot of outings carrying a diaper bag instead of a purse. By the time I no longer need to tote around a diaper bag, who knows if some of my bags will still fit my style.

I do have a few bags on my wish list, but given the lifestyle change, most don't make sense to add now. So I will set a small budget for next year and only buy bags (if any) that fit in the budget and make sense. I've been wanting a new work bag (like a Bayswater) but don't want to add anything until I've done a thorough clean out and reassess. I would like to get a new wallet (LV Clemence perhaps?). This has been something I've wanted to do for a few years now but haven't yet.

I made a list of all my bags, and my total number was higher than I thought (23 not including Longchamp nylon). I love streamlined collections and aspire to that, but it's also hard to imagine getting rid of half of my bags. I also made a list of things I was considering purchasing next year, and then added up the prices, and that was also higher than I expected, so I really want to be mindful of my purchases.

So tentative goals:
1. Bag budget of $500 (this will be tough)
2. No superfluous SLG additions
3. Streamline and organize wardrobe
4. Use everything (or let go of)
5. Do better with tracking purchases, sales, and wear

Sent from my XT1254 using PurseForum mobile app
I like the bag budget of $500 next year! Good luck on that! I know that for bag enthusiasts like us, that is quite difficult to attain.

However different our approaches, we all want to shop our closets in 2017! So we have two challenges for January to help us do just that! Sign up for the one that interests you and we'll cheer each other on as we fall back in love with our bags!

3 in 31 Challenge

For this challenge, pick 3 bags that you will wear in January. These are the ONLY bags you will wear during this month. Be sure to pick 3 bags that will cover all aspects of your life - work, date night, family time, worship, vacation, etc.

This is a great challenge for those wanting to downsize their collections. You'll get to see how you like having a mini capsule collection. It's also great for those who want to challenge themselves with new ways to wear / new outfits for purses they cherish.

15 in 31 Challenge

For this challenge you'll actively change your bags to wear at least 15 during January (that means no bag gets more than 2 wears!) You can spontaneously select your bags or you can target certain bags that you really want to be sure to wear.

This challenge is great for those who want to rotate their bags to make sure they use what they own and / or to lower CPW across their collection. It's also great for those who are trying to decide if certain bag should stay or go as you'll get to see it in action in comparison to bags you love to wear often.

Of course, participating in a challenge is only a fun option. Feel free to do whatever you'd like in January and let us know what you're up to. :smile: But, if you decide to do a challenge, let us know by Dec 31 so we can see who is on what "team".

Let the games begin!!! :yahoo:
I'm in for the 15 in 31!! As I have many bags, they should be given the chance to play. And this way, I will know which bags I'm just forcing myself to wear and which ones I really want to use. As I earlier said, I want to refine my collection in 2017.

I'd like to join in for 2017 please. I have a small collection (10) compared to many on tpf, and I don't want to sell anything at present. But my goal is to save up for a garden party. I've wanted one for ages and I really need to avoid impulse buys, sales bargains and so on, and buy no other bags in 2017 to achieve this!
I love your number of 10, but I'm not sure I can downsize that much now. Good luck on staying away from impulse buys!

Do you think that it makes a difference whether a bag is worn one day and then gets some rest as opposed to being worn several days in a row? Have you experienced that they are "broken in" more quickly in the last case?
I guess in actuality none. But psychologically, maybe yes, since sometimes when it's your first day to wear a bag anew you tend to be more careful/protective.

Reactions: dcooney4 and Evia
I personally don't have any problem doing the 3 in 31. :smile: And from my rough schedule, I'll need at least 4 bags to survive January so I think I'll go with a 15 in 31. :smile:

I'll decide in the exact bags later and will definitely keep track of what I'm using during the next month. This will be fun! :smile:

However different our approaches, we all want to shop our closets in 2017! So we have two challenges for January to help us do just that! Sign up for the one that interests you and we'll cheer each other on as we fall back in love with our bags!

3 in 31 Challenge

For this challenge, pick 3 bags that you will wear in January. These are the ONLY bags you will wear during this month. Be sure to pick 3 bags that will cover all aspects of your life - work, date night, family time, worship, vacation, etc.

This is a great challenge for those wanting to downsize their collections. You'll get to see how you like having a mini capsule collection. It's also great for those who want to challenge themselves with new ways to wear / new outfits for purses they cherish.

15 in 31 Challenge

For this challenge you'll actively change your bags to wear at least 15 during January (that means no bag gets more than 2 wears!) You can spontaneously select your bags or you can target certain bags that you really want to be sure to wear.

This challenge is great for those who want to rotate their bags to make sure they use what they own and / or to lower CPW across their collection. It's also great for those who are trying to decide if certain bag should stay or go as you'll get to see it in action in comparison to bags you love to wear often.

Of course, participating in a challenge is only a fun option. Feel free to do whatever you'd like in January and let us know what you're up to. :smile: But, if you decide to do a challenge, let us know by Dec 31 so we can see who is on what "team".

Let the games begin!!! :yahoo:

Hi ladies,

Can't believe how fast this year has flown by....it's now time to think about my bag goals. I have decided that 15 is still my magical number. It's no longer realistic to think I will ever be done with handbag purchases so I will be dedicated to 10 forever bags and 5 semi permanent bags in my collection. I currently have room for three bags. I plan to get at least two this year and sell two so that will balance out and still leave me room in the future. I also plan to streamline my clutches and add few new high end ones to round this out. In addition I have to still find a blue high end bag and also need a blue crossbody bag to add to my travel crossbody collection which consists of red and yellow currently.

Ok so I now think I'm going to do the 3 for 31 challenge as it's going to be difficult for me to pull 15 bags to wear in this brutal Midwest winter. Heck most of my beloved Flaps don't even come out till spring lol. My countable collection is not large enough for me to find 15 bags that I want to carry. Also maybe just for fun I will count every single bag I own to see exactly what I possess

Ok so I now think I'm going to do the 3 for 31 challenge as it's going to be difficult for me to pull 15 bags to wear in this brutal Midwest winter. Heck most of my beloved Flaps don't even come out till spring lol. My countable collection is not large enough for me to find 15 bags that I want to carry. Also maybe just for fun I will count every single bag I own to see exactly what I possess
Um...yea. This weather. :annoyed: Since moving to your neck of the woods and getting back this week to frigid temps, snow and ice from 4 weeks in the warmth of the Middle East I'm ... :cursing:

I had to go past my main collection into my carefree to find 15 that I could try to do. But that's why it's a challenge. LOL! I knew doing just 3 would make me want to jump off a cliff. No way I can do just 3 bags in a month. :lol:

Last edited:
Do you think that it makes a difference whether a bag is worn one day and then gets some rest as opposed to being worn several days in a row? Have you experienced that they are "broken in" more quickly in the last case?
I don't think so. I have worn bags multiple days and they still look pristine. I think it's more how you wear them. If they get bumped a lot, scratched by nails or wrist jewelry, put on the ground, over stuffed etc I think that's a bigger problem. I also have read that people say that storing bags properly goes a long way to keeping them looking new. I store my bags upright and lightly stuffed. Chanels and other bags with chain straps get the straps wrapped. And my bags get cleaned and conditioned regularly.
I'm in the 3 in 31 challenge [emoji173]

Bag goal for 2017 initially is zero purchase. But I realise I'm receiving rewards points for Mz Wallace at Feb'17. I went crazy Jun-Dec'16. I'll have about $140 "free money" to go towards some item. It'll be either 1 bag (or slg?). So I figure it's more realistic to set target as Jan-Jun'17 one purchase + Jul-Dec'17 one or zero purchase.
I have the same thing with a couple of sites. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to spend a reward on on site when there isn't anything I actually want without putting more money with it. :confused1:

I'd like to join in for 2017 please. I have a small collection (10) compared to many on tpf, and I don't want to sell anything at present. But my goal is to save up for a garden party. I've wanted one for ages and I really need to avoid impulse buys, sales bargains and so on, and buy no other bags in 2017 to achieve this!

I joined the 2015 thread with the same aim (though bigger collection). I ordered a special edition GP and didn't want to have no space or have spent the money when(ever) the bag came in. I just wanted to encourage you because I managed to buy my GP and love, love, love every minute carrying it and admiring it, soooo totally worth being strict for.

Um...yea. This weather. :annoyed: Since moving to your neck of the woods and getting back this week to frigid temps, snow and ice from 4 weeks in the warmth of the Middle East I'm ... :cursing:

I had to go past my main collection into my carefree to find 15 that I could try to do. But that's why it's a challenge. LOL! I knew doing just 3 would make me want to jump off a cliff. No way I can do just 3 bags in a month. :lol:
Yes all of a sudden we had cold front and boom here's the snow. If the weather was nice I definitely would do the 15 but this sludge,salt and cold has me looking like no way. If my semi permanent was more up to par I could pull it off. Ok well at least I get to wear my coats.

Reactions: Sparkletastic
Recap, reshape and resolution 2017

0. Love the idea of 3 or 15 but I have a current rotation of 8 bags and that suits me fine so that won't change

1. Last year I sold lots of vintage bags and I will carry on in 2017, they don't make much money but there's no point in keeping second best of anything, just the best. I only bought 1 non-well known name vintage bag, it was ridiculously cheap, it's very cute for evening and impeccably made.

2. I bought another H bag this year (2016) and will buy another next. That's it and will be it for big purchases unless the Gucci Lilith knocks me senseless!

3. So I've been buying less bags and more fab shoes/boots I can actually walk in with the 'saved' money. I have enjoyed looking at my feet more though. I need to stop buying so much footwear as a substitute.

4. Clear up and get more organised

5. Better vintage is still worth the hunt

6. Wear best for everyday, no saving for when life is perfect

7. Buy a few more H twilly/twillies for bag handles in sober colours (preloved fine)

8. More SLGs (don't have to be designer) to stay organised and switch bags (rather than bag inserts which only really help if all one's bags are the similar dimensions)

Last edited:
I joined the 2015 thread with the same aim (though bigger collection). I ordered a special edition GP and didn't want to have no space or have spent the money when(ever) the bag came in. I just wanted to encourage you because I managed to buy my GP and love, love, love every minute carrying it and admiring it, soooo totally worth being strict for.
Oh thank you Papertiger! That's such a boost, I love your bamboo GP :heart: I have my heart set on red ;) I am determined!!

Hi,

I don't think wearing several days in a row wears down a bag. I am a bit crazy about my good bags so when I wear one I will change back to my workhorse and immediately stuff and store my bag. Imagine coming in from fun night out and doing this at 2 am. If I decide to carry again the next day I grab it again and repeat the process. It just depends on how you treat your bags and how often you carry them

Reactions: minoxa33
I'm going to add a huge challenge.

I'm going to try and go 3 months, January 1 to April 1, without buying a new bag or SLG.

This means passing on the LV Valentine's collection, which will be a struggle.

I won't say no to gifts, but I'll be doing my best to not encourage them either!!!

Anyone want to join me on a no in first quarter for 2017?
I'll join you for a no in first quarter. Thank god for shoes lol

I'll start! I'm doing 15 in 31. I'm focusing on two types of bags: ones I want to get more wear and ones that may need to go. Given that it'll be January in the stupidly snowy US Midwest, I have to lean towards bags that will take the weather. :-s So more of my carefree (v premier) bags will get worn than usual.

Bags I Love (lowering my CPW)
• Chanel Grey Medium Classic Flap
• Chanel Red Jumbo Classic Flap
• Dior Blu Persan Miss Dior Sliding Chain
• Louis Vuitton LockMe II BB in Noir
• Monika Chiang Black Pony Hair Bucket
Prada Black Saffiano Top Handle Satchel
• Prada Small Red Saffiano Double Zip Tote
• YSL Small Monogram Cabas So Black Ltd. Edition
• Kate Spade Parchment Drive Rosaline Leopard & Calf Satchel
Coach Burgundy Patent Saddle Bag
• Michael Kors Gold Camden Hobo
• Michael Kors Black Geneva Satchel

Bags on the Bubble (stay or go?)
• Chanel Black Patent Jumbo Classic Flap
Gucci Teal Nubuck Soho Shoulder Bag
• Proenza Schouler Silver Small Courier
Spark,

How did you pick your 15 so fast dang. Also I thought the teal Gucci was on chopping block while the market demand was high for them

Recap, reshape and resolution 2017

0. Love the idea of 3 or 15 but I have a current rotation of 8 bags and that suits me fine so that won't change

1. Last year I sold lots of vintage bags and I will carry on in 2017, they don't make much money but there's no point in keeping second best of anything, just the best. I only bought 1 non-well known name vintage bag, it was ridiculously cheap, it's very cute for evening and impeccably made.

2. I bought another H bag this year (2016) and will buy another next. That's it and will be it for big purchases unless the Gucci Lilith knocks me senseless!

3. So I've been buying less bags and more fab shoes/boots I can actually walk in with the 'saved' money. I have enjoyed looking at my feet more though. I need to stop buying so much footwear as a substitute.

4. Clear up and get more organised

5. Better vintage is still worth the hunt

6. Best for everyday, no saving for when life is perfect

7. Buy a few more H twilly/twillies for bag handles in sober colours (preloved fine)

8. More SLGs (don't have to be designer) to stay organised and switch bags (rather than bag inserts which only really help if all one's bags are the similar dimensions)
The few bag organizers I have stay in the bag I bought them for. Your goals sound very doable .

Status
Not open for further replies.