1 carat diamond ring or Hermes bag?

I say go with the ring because it will go with everything, while the Birkin would only go with certain outfits/colors depending on what you get.

Other than that, I'm sick over the investment options. Overpriced designer good #1 or overprice designer good #2. At least the Birkin would be a recognizable item. The ring may as well be from Kay Jewelers for all anyone else would know. I second the opinions that a diamond of equal quality can be had elsewhere for much less.

:tup: ITA - with everything you said.

Truth is, OP - no one is going to know your ring is from Tiffany's just by looking at your hand - and it does sound like you are going for "recognition". So - with that in mind, I say go Hermes.

Newbie here. Wouldn't it be great if you could have both!!!:tup:

You can always go through an online Diamond Boutique to search for a diamond. We purchased my engagement ring online and their prices are competitve, diamonds well cut and service fantastic!

As prices of diamonds tend to jump at the 1/2 carat mark and the carat mark you might try aiming for .90ct or just over at around the 1.03ct mark. Lets use a GVS2 as an example.

I looked online with a Diamond Boutique and found this these four diamonds to compare. They are all GIA certified diamonds.
http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/Compare_Diamonds.aspx?idnos=1736507,1844549,1928086,1800268

The pricing on the bottom of the page will give you an idea of what budget you may want to consider.

IdealD

as long as your diamond is gia certified as to cut/color/clarity a diamond is a diamond, regardless of brand name. i was able to find a fabulous stone for my future daughter-in-law online. it was gia certified, i had it independently appraised and it was far, far below what a tiffany diamond of exact quality would have cost. buy wisely-just my two cents.

Correct me if I am wrong... wouldn't Hermes be all about marketing as well? Because there are many brands that make good bags?

That's apples to oranges. Hermes is one brand that is not just all marketing. Hermes bags are made by hand, by one individual, of extremely high quality materials. They retain their value. They have a lifetime guarantee. If your bag requires repairs, it goes to the same craftsperson who made it in the first place (they do keep track of who created each bag). I do not know of any other companies who can make this claim.

Tiffany diamonds are mass mined and purchased and are not any more "rare" than any other diamond from any other source. You can easily get the same quality diamond because Tiffany does not have a monopoly of acquiring higher quality diamonds over other sources that sell diamonds.

That's apples to oranges. Hermes is one brand that is not just all marketing. Hermes bags are made by hand, by one individual, of extremely high quality materials. They retain their value. They have a lifetime guarantee. If your bag requires repairs, it goes to the same craftsperson who made it in the first place (they do keep track of who created each bag). I do not know of any other companies who can make this claim.

Tiffany diamonds are mass mined and purchased and are not any more "rare" than any other diamond from any other source. You can easily get the same quality diamond because Tiffany does not have a monopoly of acquiring higher quality diamonds over other sources that sell diamonds.

absolutely, totally agree!

I don't think I'd buy either, actually. I'd go for a more interesting, unique piece of jewelry. You could find something gorgeous that wouldn't be on the hand of every other woman you pass on the street.

If you are not married, wearing a 1 carat ring sends a "taken" message to those who may be interested in you.

Diamonds seem to go up in price less than Hermes has in recent years, so depending upon which H bag you get, you may find it to be the better investment.

That said, I agree with whoever said to pay attention to your body response when you try on the items. Then you'll know which one you *really* want deep inside.

Hard, but lovely dilemma you have!

For me, the jewelry would have to be a signature design for me to buy designer. For instance, clovers by Van Cleef & Arpel, floating diamonds by Chopard. Otherwise, a diamond is a diamond. Only you are paying premium for the name and the ability to say the brand.

I totally agree! If your going to pay a premium for designer jewelery it should be unique over getting a Hermes Birkin bag.

I vote for Hermes! IMO, if you buy Tiffanys, you are not buying a 'tiffany diamond' their diamonds are not a higher quality than those you find in other stores. From what I remember, the diamonds which Tiffany uses are Lazare diamonds which are all ideal cut; this doesn't mean that you can't get yourself a Lazare diamond anywhere else, Lazare diamonds are not exclusive to Tiffany.
So as for the extra thousands you are paying, is really for the name (which IMO is not quite 'up there' to van cleep, cartier, HW)
As for value, diamonds that are 1ct really don't have much movement up or down. Maybe if you go 2ct + is when you really start to see movement in value. (not sure, but on an appraisal, I don't think a 'Tiffany' ring would be worth more than other diamonds, if so, it would be the platinum setting that's worth a little more..)
Lastly, some people put into factor 'snob appeal' (honeslty, don't we all buy designer stuff for a little bit of this?) Birkin is a classic style that 'seperates' you from the everyday LV,Gucci (of which i love too, but Hermes is just at another level) but even to a trained eye, a Tiffany 1ct just doesn't do it. That said, it really depends if you care what people think when you carry your 'goodies'.

sorry for rambling on.. just my opinion! :wlae:

I'm now thinking the Hermes. But I thought you would wear diamond everyday and not the Birkin everyday. Does anyone know if she sold one of these two choices in 5 years, which would get more $$?

Unless the diamond market changes and the demand for Hermes changes, I'd bet a Birkin would resell for much more than a 1ct diamond.

Depends on what you want most and what you already have.

However, it's much harder/annoying to get the Birkin of your preferred specifications than a 1 carat Tiffany diamond.

There are Birkins sitting on shelves in this economy, but the chances of finding a Birkin of your preferred leather, hardware, color, size, etc. on the shelf and free to purchase without politics are far lower than getting a 1 carat Tiffany diamond.

If you got the money ready, a 1 carat Tiffany diamond is instantly accessible. A Birkin of your choice isn't.