1 carat diamond ring or Hermes bag?

^^ Well said IntlSet--I agree. As much as I love their jewelry, I've actually always thought of Tiffany as a second tier below Harry Winston and Cartier etc.

I totally agree. Harry Winston is a higher tier. I mean, they have Tiffany in malls. If you're into brand cache HW is the way to go.

I agree that if a person is set on the name, they are set on the name. What if someone told you there was a bag just like that Gucci or LV or Hermes you want, but you didn't have to pay for the name? It wouldn't matter; you would want what you wanted. What if someone told you that another bag was far higher quality than the one you wanted? It probably wouldn't matter much, as another brand just wouldn't be the same.

My point is that we love what we love. Try to convince someone who loves LV that BV is better. It very well might be, but that person loves LV. The brand DOES matter. Likewise, the brand matters to a lot of people in jewelry, too, no matter what other people say is higher quality or exactly the same. It isn't the same to the person who wants it.

As for the original question, I'd choose the diamond. In real life, however, I covet neither the Tiffany diamond nor the Hermes bag, but in answer to the question - definitely diamond.

I agree with Luvednotspoiled and Hautemama. Its about what we really desire whether its Harry Winston or Michael Hill. Why settle for Guess when you really want Chanel? It may or may not be true you are just paying for the name, but if you can afford it and your heart desires it, I say go for it. You only live once!!;)

I agree with Luvednotspoiled and Hautemama. Its about what we really desire whether its Harry Winston or Michael Hill. Why settle for Guess when you really want Chanel? It may or may not be true you are just paying for the name, but if you can afford it and your heart desires it, I say go for it. You only live once!!;)

Personally I think there is a difference when it comes to diamonds. A certified 1 carat ideal-cut G color VS1 diamond is precisely the same, whether you buy it at Tiffany or from Cartier or from a dealer. The diamond itself doesn't change, it's just more expensive at Tiffany than it is from a dealer or small jeweler. So it's not really a Guess vs. Chanel argument. And it's not really a knock-off argument, either. A diamond's a diamond, if it's certified and/or you get it from someone reputable.

Now when it comes to the setting designs. . . you can totally argue that the only true *tiffany* setting is a Tiffany setting, sure. Or that specific, Tiffany-patented designs are the prettiest or best done or highest quality, in your opinion. Or that others knock off Tiffany all the time. But the stone, which is the most expensive piece of this equation, is the same as another stone, no matter where you procure it.

An Hermès Birkin is unique. Just as some of the settings at Tiffany are unique. But Tiffany's rightful claim to fame comes from its artists, like Jean Schlumberger (especially. LOVE.) and others. Not from its stones, aside from the rightfully famous Tiffany Diamond. Its stones are very nice-- high quality and well cut-- but not unique or special in the world of diamonds. Just pricier than they need be, IMO.

Look, I have no problem with wanting Tiffany, if it's your grail. And I love diamonds. It's just that if I had the money to spend on a Tiffany 1-carat stone of the color and cut and clarity that I'd want, I would go elsewhere and get more and bigger! And right now, I am more intrigued by H than I am T.
:smile:

Tell us about your collections - do you have many other pieces of jewellery, or other bags ?

Hmm.. I am already married and have a few solitaire rings at hand. The size of my diamonds gets bigger as my husband and my buying power increase. My diamonds are certified but not from the luxury brands. As for bags, I have a few designer labels like LV & Gucci but not yet a Hermes.

:idea:I have an idea. Try on the bag, then try on the ring. Whichever one takes your breath away/ makes you dizzy/ makes your heart skip a few beats, is the one you should go with. Thats how I usually decide when buying luxury items!:girlsigh:

That is what I would do when buying bags. I usually only buy bags that I really really fancy. But the thing is, I really like diamonds and I really like a Birkin. So I might be really torn as to which to choose even after trying them on!

I second thissss finally someone here that understands me!!! Nothing is comparable to a tiffanys diamond ring, to a person that loves tiffanys....just like nothing is comparable to a hermes bag - to a person that loves hermes

my cousin on the other hand doesnt care if she carries fake handbags...and she doesnt care if her ring is from tiffanys or not :smile: she does her thing, i do my thing!

back to the topic at hand ---- DIAMOND for sure :smile: love it and it's something you can wear everyday vs. a bag -- if ur like me, youll change your bag daily to match ur outfit!! hehe :smile:

I have diamonds that are certified but I want a Tiffany for my first one carat ring because it is a brand recognized internationally.

This just isn't true, Tiffany is all about marketing, and you can get the same quality diamond for much less elsewhere. Tiffany diamonds are cut using the same standards as other diamonds. It's just that Tiffany does not sell below a certain range of standard, and you can easily match this elsewhere. You're just paying for the name.

Correct me if I am wrong... wouldn't Hermes be all about marketing as well? Because there are many brands that make good bags?

Hmm.. I am already married and have a few solitaire rings at hand. The size of my diamonds gets bigger as my husband and my buying power increase. My diamonds are certified but not from the luxury brands. As for bags, I have a few designer labels like LV & Gucci but not yet a Hermes.
well that answers it doesn't it?

get the hermes coz you don't have one yet :wlae:

btw, i know what u mean about the tiffany diamond. I have a 1.51ct non tiffany but I told hubby that from now on he can get me designer jewellery only.

I know u can go bigger and better for less money (I did with my ering) but I'd rather have a couple statement pieces that will have a "vintage" value over time just for having the NAME :smile:

however, I'd still go with the hermes bags because those will also keep the price and you can always ask hubby for the jewellery, like I do (or bf)

Would you be wearing the Tiffany everyday? Would you carry the Hermes everyday? Do you already have an e-ring that you are very happy with? If you love your e-ring, then I would say Hermes. But if you aren't fond of e-ring, then I'd definitely get the Tiffany.

I think you answered a few peoples questions and personally having read your responses, you are big enough to be able to make your own mind up, what makes you happy, we are not going to be wearing the ring or carrying the birkin. Get what makes your heart sing, and only your heart, not what we think. Good luck with your decision.