Working at Hermes

we have a website where former and actual employees can insert their opinion and their earnings.
This ist what it says

Sa: 28.500 Euro / average,so a B would be 1/2 of the earning of a year, without taxes (and we have the highest taxes like EVERYWHERE)

Marketing assistance: 41.600

So, for sure a mother or someone else who happens to work at H won't be able to provide her daughter with bags (plural) she already worked for.

1651867585462.png

Bags are excluded from the personal employee 30% off in store, while everything else is included (RTW, HOME, PERFUMES etc).

This is because, they can get them from their personal employee online store (at least, this is what I've been told by my friend who works for H). I honestly don't know what they're priced there and I also don't want to ask ( I think knowing they're sold for a fraction of the price we pay them in store, would probably turn me off from purchasing any more).

But, if its like Chanel or Gucci, were employees can access these portals, I wouldn't be surprised if bags are priced at only 10-20% of the RRP.

Reg SAs at Gucci get 50% off, but only a limited number of items. All RTW and shoes in their size only (for obvious reasons) . They get their uniform for free including a mini bag and shoes. SM gets an allowance and limited choice per season s/he has to wear when in store. At staff sales they get things at very low prices.

Hermes get their uniform shoes and bits for free too. They also get 2 free scarves (usually 90s) or ties a year, but have to fight it out for who gets what. No discount for bags but there are staff sales. SMs and managers get more.

Glassdoor is notoriously incorrect on salary estimates. I just wanna know does anyone truly know the average commission structure (not per category but total average) at H and whether they have any additional flat salary? We keep talking about them like they are impoverished, but I just struggle to imagine any SA selling less than $100-200k USD every month.

Reactions: 336 and fice16
Glassdoor is notoriously incorrect on salary estimates. I just wanna know does anyone truly know the average commission structure (not per category but total average) at H and whether they have any additional flat salary? We keep talking about them like they are impoverished, but I just struggle to imagine any SA selling less than $100-200k USD every month.

+1 on this.
I think the regular full-time H SAs selling would be $300k-1M USD a month, depending on how many big-spending clients they have and whether there are special holidays/occasions for the month. I recall reading an article about the SAs in ultra-luxury boutiques can generate sales of several millions USD on an annual basis. With the current environment where H products are selling out in all boutiques in fastest time ever, I would not be surprised the H SAs in those flagship boutiques can sell for $5M - 10M+ USD a year.

Also, I recall reading somewhere that the SAs in BG/Neiman Marcus can have income of $100k+ USD plus.
So, I think H SAs would be similarly nicely compensated, in one way or another.

Reactions: Crapples
I agree H SAs are not poorly paid. I believe they can afford luxury and a Chanel classic flap or birkin 25 would be around 2 to 3 months of their salary.

But in the world of luxury, their pay structure is not the best. They do not require much selling skills. Customers are fighting for SA attention and the company knows that.

I've recently seen many YouTube channels pop up with LV associates exposing secrets and perks of the company (while they're still employed) and talking about current/upcoming bag collections and colors, and likely H doesn't want that to happen with their SAs/SMs. The daughter, from the mother/daughter YouTube channel, said a few months ago that her mom would appear in fewer H videos moving forward. Perhaps H asked the mother to stop (since she's a store manager), or perhaps she was trying for a promotion and decided to stop exposing intel. Just because these SAs help people with loads of money doesn't mean they make anywhere near a good salary -- it's why so many SAs choose to leave their employment imo.

Reactions: maxroxxherhandbags
we have a website where former and actual employees can insert their opinion and their earnings.
This ist what it says

Sa: 28.500 Euro / average,so a B would be 1/2 of the earning of a year, without taxes (and we have the highest taxes like EVERYWHERE)

Marketing assistance: 41.600

So, for sure a mother or someone else who happens to work at H won't be able to provide her daughter with bags (plural) she already worked for.

View attachment 5397462
It says brutto, but presumably that is before commission, correct? Having said that, i don’t think the commission adds that much.

Reg SAs at Gucci get 50% off, but only a limited number of items. All RTW and shoes in their size only (for obvious reasons) . They get their uniform for free including a mini bag and shoes. SM gets an allowance and limited choice per season s/he has to wear when in store. At staff sales they get things at very low prices.

Hermes get their uniform shoes and bits for free too. They also get 2 free scarves (usually 90s) or ties a year, but have to fight it out for who gets what. No discount for bags but there are staff sales. SMs and managers get more.

Gucci SA's get 50% off in store yes - but I'm talking about their personal employee only portal, were everything is sold internally to them with a price that's 10%-35% of the RRP..

Reactions: papertiger
+1 on this.
I think the regular full-time H SAs selling would be $300k-1M USD a month, depending on how many big-spending clients they have and whether there are special holidays/occasions for the month. I recall reading an article about the SAs in ultra-luxury boutiques can generate sales of several millions USD on an annual basis. With the current environment where H products are selling out in all boutiques in fastest time ever, I would not be surprised the H SAs in those flagship boutiques can sell for $5M - 10M+ USD a year.

Also, I recall reading somewhere that the SAs in BG/Neiman Marcus can have income of $100k+ USD plus.
So, I think H SAs would be similarly nicely compensated, in one way or another.
Agree. @Crapples, i thought based on what I recall of DHs conversations with various premier SAs, total take home was more like 175K . I thought I read somewhere quarterly sales goals were like 5 million USD, but I could be totally wrong. I believe I read more in the LV subforum, where someone worked it out to x thousand in sales required per shift to meet sales goals. . .

This thread below states in 2008, LV SAs made 70k, no commission, (post #269) and in the later post (from someone in corporate — not LV— below that SAs often rejected non floor jobs bc they could make more selling. LV was not known to treat or pay its SAs well. I know when i started shopping with my first chanel SA in 2001, those were still considered the glory days when commissions were not as capped as they are today. most of these observations are based on US pay

Last edited:
Reactions: fice16 and Crapples