Working at Hermes

I'm struggling to imagine that any SA's would be buying B's and K's with their salary, even if they got a pretty hefty discount. But I guess I'm only thinking about "regular" and likely younger people who are working to make a living, while there will always be people from well-off family backgrounds that are maybe able to spend the majority of their income recreationally. Or more mature SA's who've already established their lives and can enjoy the perks more freely.
Why is that? I worked retail for many years and I could afford designer items and such… You just have to be good in managing your money.
To clarify… I am a normal person, I don’t come from money.
I don’t have a family to take care of, I am still in my 20s, I pay my rent, food and basic necessities on my own.
I don’t drink/smoke/go clubbing and I am really good at managing my income.
I don’t buy 10 bags a year. I rather buy 1/2 Hermès bags or 2 Chanel classics a year. That’s all.

Last edited:
Not necessarily. I know an SA from another luxury brand (not H) well. Her family does well and she just took the job because she doesn’t want to “stay at home” and she’s a good salesperson lol. Her kids go to private schools and she definitely buys luxury items.
she just works for pocket money
she is not contributing to to putting a roof over the head of her family, food on the table or clothes on their backs
are you seriously suggesting that is typical of sales people in luxury stores?

and, Ally ambrosio, what proportion of your family's income was your salary?
that was rhetorical and does not require an answer

• Love
Reactions: maxroxxherhandbags
I'm struggling to imagine that any SA's would be buying B's and K's with their salary, even if they got a pretty hefty discount. But I guess I'm only thinking about "regular" and likely younger people who are working to make a living, while there will always be people from well-off family backgrounds that are maybe able to spend the majority of their income recreationally. Or more mature SA's who've already established their lives and can enjoy the perks more freely.
Unless someone already work in retail so opportunity cost isn't really a factor. I can see SA's being able to afford the quota bag though, assuming they just put all their budget into one bag instead of buying several a year (let's say, 2 Chanel or 3 LV's?). Even for us regular clients (non VIP/VVIP) we can barely buy 1-2 quota bag a year anyway so it's not that big of a deal. Otherwise, you must really love a brand to put in your valuable time and effort working there for the perks :lol: It's more cost effective to just fly over to Paris.

Unless someone already work in retail so opportunity cost isn't really a factor. I can see SA's being able to afford the quota bag though, assuming they just put all their budget into one bag instead of buying several a year (let's say, 2 Chanel or 3 LV's?). Even for us regular clients (non VIP/VVIP) we can barely buy 1-2 quota bag a year anyway so it's not that big of a deal. Otherwise, you must really love a brand to put in your valuable time and effort working there for the perks :lol: It's more cost effective to just fly over to Paris.
I agree! I worked in retail and I could buy 2 (really expensive) bags per year (Hermès or Chanel ) because those are the two brands I like to invest my money in. Otherwise I could easily get more bags of other brands… that’s all.

I ran a search which led to this page on this thread, but there are obviously more recent posts there
by the way, my DH, who is always interested in talking shop with various managers and SAs at premier luxury boutiques, got the impression that the take home was significantly higher (perhaps when you add in everything including sales goals; pooled commission; individual; and whatnot), but IDK

ETA: the thing that the SAs mention — at least the ones Ive spoken to— is not about the inability to buy a BKC, but rather the constant stress of having to say no to so many clients every day. I can imagine that many of these individuals csn be unpleasant or rude as well.

Last edited:
It’s totally reasonable that someone prioritizes purchasing luxury bags even with a smaller income. Or that some SAs have other forms of income and could afford multiple expensive bags.

But most Hermes SAs I know have 1 or 0 quota bags. The discount they get is 30%, and they have to be approved by the SM (at least in the U.S.). For many, it’s not a priority financially. And I have heard many talk wishfully about getting one ‘one day.’

I actually think it’s crazy that most of them cannot afford a Birkin easily on their salary. It must be a strange feeling selling to people obsessed with getting one when you don’t have one yourself. Hermes should really give them a steeper discount or just gift them one after, say, 5 years of work.

It’s totally reasonable that someone prioritizes purchasing luxury bags even with a smaller income. Or that some SAs have other forms of income and could afford multiple expensive bags.

But most Hermes SAs I know have 1 or 0 quota bags. The discount they get is 30%, and they have to be approved by the SM (at least in the U.S.). For many, it’s not a priority financially. And I have heard many talk wishfully about getting one ‘one day.’

I actually think it’s crazy that most of them cannot afford a Birkin easily on their salary. It must be a strange feeling selling to people obsessed with getting one when you don’t have one yourself. Hermes should really give them a steeper discount or just gift them one after, say, 5 years of work.
Totally agree 101%!

I work in retail and on my team we have people from different backgrounds.
Some are independently wealthy (family or married well), some of the older ones like myself have had other careers in fashion and have chosen to go into fashion retail at the tail end of our working lives( as opposed to being freelance ) for the stability of a regular wage.
Others (my assistant for instance) are design graduates who cant afford to take unpaid internships with a 'house' and so this is the best way to earn a living working in fashion creatively for someone starting out.
One thing I can tell you is NOBODY got rich on a retail associates wage.
Retail Managers wages vary greatly depending on the size of the team they are managing, the company they are working for, etc etc
Even with annual bonus few will earn in excess of £100k.
Even at the top end of the salary scale Hermes prices with or without discount would be prohibitive to buying very much by the brand.
A Birkin would amount to roughly 2 months wages...

Last edited:
I want to share some benefits about being a sales assistant.
Many people ask us if we could easily purchase a bag for ourselves, the answer is NO, we have a few chances every year for purchase items for ourselves. We occasionally have some discount event for staff, goods available vary every time.Sometimes there's leather product, sometimes there's only clothes. I have to say, the leather products are very rare on the discount event, not mention the birkin or kelly bags. And these bags are popular the same to fight for even inside of the company. There's two kinds of discount events,one is Online(access only through the computers inside of the shop), the other is hold in Paris. When it's online discount, it's more about luck because you never know when or what kind of item they would put on the website, the sales assistant could only purchase on the system 2 times every event, you could log in many times but with a limited time allowed.And it happens always during our duty time, so we barely have time to check all the time on the system to grab the things. The other event is held in Paris, before the public discount event, and like the public one, many people start to wait there several hours before opening and rush to the leather section.
And I have to say, the price is amazing!!
Kelly or birkin bags is around 1,500 euro, the scarf is around 85 euro, the cashmere is around 150 euro, and the most of the rest cost only 10% of the original price in the shop. But even so, we are not buying everything, they are still too expensive for us. Like there is some CORNE material necklace is marked around 400 euro in the shop, 80 euro on the discount event for us, but we know the cost to produce is only 5 euro. So we prefer to purchase some leather product. I have a friend who bought a belt in crocodile which only costs 300 euro.
And when there is no discount event, we are only allowed around 10% off the price.
This is so interesting! Thank you dear! When it comes to B/K can you reserve the bag you want by checking what’s coming in the delivery for instance ? Do you also have to wait a certain period of time to get those bags? Thanks

Last edited:
Why is that? I worked retail for many years and I could afford designer items and such… You just have to be good in managing your money.
Designer items sure, but B's and K's are in a league of their own after all. However I'm based in a Nordic country where a sales associate would never make the $ 52,198 per year salary that was quoted as a US average. If I exchange that to euros, that yearly salary would actually place the person in the highest earning 10 % of the population. Realistically, an SA could be making half of that or a bit more here. And obviously (unfortunately) Hermès bags are still not any cheaper here:giggle: