Working at Hermes

my friend worked at Hermes for a holiday job and she got a free scarf to wear to work!

I would LOVE to work at any designer boutiques but for now, I can only shop there as I dont have time to become a sales associate :crybaby:

I think you have too have two years retail experience at high end store

And frankly the salary you would get paid would no way help buy a Hermes Bag
They get paid peanuts

Many years ago I interviewed at corporate in NY. It was for a job in their saddlery division (which is a loss leader). I certainly had the qualifications. Basically it was a joke as in the end they admitted they had been told by the Paris office who they had to hire. No loss to me, I went to grad school and have done very well. At the time, I only owned one Hermes scarves and was not into the bags.

I did try once to get a job there at Xmas part time on year when I lived in NY. I was told they want only full time people with high end retail experience. I guess it is okay for me to shop there but I am not Hermes SA material. Oh well.

Hi Birkincurious:

I have given up on trying to get a position at H now...I heard from a local high-end retail manager that Hermes has a small circle of people they trust and will only hire from that circle.
I wonder what their criterias are for a "high caliber candidate"
and how these people got into this little circle?

Hi Birkincurious:

I have given up on trying to get a position at H now...I heard from a local high-end retail manager that Hermes has a small circle of people they trust and will only hire from that circle.
I wonder what their criterias are for a "high caliber candidate"
and how these people got into this little circle?

Interesting.

Just curious... How do you guys deal with rejections from employeers and find works in Europe? I have been in Scotland for a while now and tried to find work in high end retail in Glasgow, but I just cannot get any interviews!
What's really interesting was Hermes here just hired someone despite the fact that I've asked them 2 weeks before if they were hiring (no) I know for a fact that they have hired people who didn't have any retail experience at all... .~~~ Is it really that hard for a foreigner to fidn work in the UK?

I PM'd you...

The thought of it, is all fun and exciting .... being able to talk about leathers and colours. But honestly, from where I come from, customers buy H bags without knowing more than the colour. It's red, it's blue and that's about it.

In reality, I would not want to be standing on my feet, and be shouted at when a customer has become impatient waiting for his/her Birkin. :yucky:

We are opening our 3rd Airport Terminal and the rumour has it that Hermes will open a new DFS store there. I actually thought about 'volunteering' my time for no pay, just for the fun of it. And my DH was like "What on earth do you want to do that for!"

me working there ? absolutely not as i won´t get the bags that i want then.
BUT when i hear sometimes the snobby attitude from customers (you know the likes of "she is just a sales clerk working at H who does she think she is" ) then i almost burst innerly from laughing as i do know for a fact that in several mayor boutiques woman working are either from very very influential familys or married extremely well and just do it parttime for the fun out of it.

I'm sure many members of this forum know the Hermes inventory a lot better than 75% of the SA's. I'm often shocked to discover how much more knowlege I have than a seasoned SA. (and I'm not half as savvy as most of TPF) I suppose for many of them it's just a job and for us it's a passion.

By the way, they have to wear a uniform.

I want to share some benefits about being a sales assistant.
Many people ask us if we could easily purchase a bag for ourselves, the answer is NO, we have a few chances every year for purchase items for ourselves. We occasionally have some discount event for staff, goods available vary every time.Sometimes there's leather product, sometimes there's only clothes. I have to say, the leather products are very rare on the discount event, not mention the birkin or kelly bags. And these bags are popular the same to fight for even inside of the company. There's two kinds of discount events,one is Online(access only through the computers inside of the shop), the other is hold in Paris. When it's online discount, it's more about luck because you never know when or what kind of item they would put on the website, the sales assistant could only purchase on the system 2 times every event, you could log in many times but with a limited time allowed.And it happens always during our duty time, so we barely have time to check all the time on the system to grab the things. The other event is held in Paris, before the public discount event, and like the public one, many people start to wait there several hours before opening and rush to the leather section.
And I have to say, the price is amazing!!
Kelly or birkin bags is around 1,500 euro, the scarf is around 85 euro, the cashmere is around 150 euro, and the most of the rest cost only 10% of the original price in the shop. But even so, we are not buying everything, they are still too expensive for us. Like there is some CORNE material necklace is marked around 400 euro in the shop, 80 euro on the discount event for us, but we know the cost to produce is only 5 euro. So we prefer to purchase some leather product. I have a friend who bought a belt in crocodile which only costs 300 euro.
And when there is no discount event, we are only allowed around 10% off the price.