What powerhouse perfume from the 80's would you wear today?

My Mom always wore Jean Nate summers in the 60's, I can almost smell it now! I remember trying Vitabathas a teenager.
Opium was my scent in the late 70's thru 80's, as well as Estee Lauder's Cinnabar. I am still a sucker for Orientals. I also have a bottle of Givenchy L'Interdit which I break out occasionally. It still smells divine. I have tried 2 of the newer formulations of it as well as a new Opium and they smell nothing like the originals.
Oh how I remember Cinnabar.:biggrin:

• Love
Reactions: chowlover2 and 880
Wearing (an old) Rive Gauche (first released 1970) my mother gave me recently as it's just been sitting there on the shelf. It must have been a gift because I don't remember her ever wearing it. Mine is just EDT but OMG, still powerhouse, I have to spray on my tights or legs because it's too much, makes my eyes water.
I had Rive Gauche but I think it got lost when I moved. For some reason, I never used it much when I had it, and now I wish I still had the bottle. As for Opium, I actually enjoy a few Opium flankers that YSL came out with. I have one called Orchidee de Chine, and it is like Opium but just a bit more floral, and not quite the powerhouse. It's a beautiful scent!

although I’m no longer a Lutens fan (and I sadly decided this after purchasing a number of bell jars)
I feel lukewarm about a few of the popular scents by Lutens like Chergui and Un Bois Vanille to name a few, but I really enjoy Borneo 1834 and a few others like his rose fragrances. Un Lys is firmly on my wish list after testing it on and off but I am going to wait until the holidays to get Un Lys and a few others on my wish list including a couple of Dior fragrances as well as Robert Piguet's Baghari, which I fell in love with after sampling recently. The problems of sampling!:biggrin: Oh, and Ambre Sultan is one that I was unsure about a few years ago, but lately it has become my favorite amber fragrance.

Yes, this^ :smile: it wouldn’t stop me from wearing it necessarily, but DH’s mother wore it too. ;)
something that evokes Opium for me is Roucel’s Musc Ravaguer from FM. Or less potent and more subtle, (though thats only relative) an older version of Lutens, not Fumerie Turque, but. . . Am having a senior moment, and the name escapes me, it has added sweetness . . chergui. . .
although I’m no longer a Lutens fan (and I sadly decided this after purchasing a number of bell jars) there is another Lutens that reminds me of Opium, and not in a good way: Fourreau Noire. I als think opium followed a lot of the original Estée Lauder’s: youthdew and some that were really hard to wear, aliage and another . . .

and as a complete 360, does anyone remember Jean Nate splash and vita bath? :smile:

Yes! I used Jean Nate as a kid. I loved it. So refreshing. Perfect during hot days.

My mother wore Opium and also Lanvin's Arpege (also H's Kelly Caleche and Worth's Je Reviens). I feel I can't wear any of those although I would actually love to wear Opium.

Wearing (an old) Rive Gauche (first released 1970) my mother gave me recently as it's just been sitting there on the shelf. It must have been a gift because I don't remember her ever wearing it. Mine is just EDT but OMG, still powerhouse, I have to spray on my tights or legs because it's too much, makes my eyes water. I guess YSL's Paris is very 1980s but it's more floral and I don't have a bottle.

I would love to get my hands on vintage Rive Gauche. I bought a new one several years ago and it is certainly not as good. Enjoy your RG!

Reactions: papertiger
I love powerhouse fragrances and I’m home anyways so....
1. Fracas (tuberose is back anyways)
2. Opium
3. Samsara
4. Poison
5. Obsession
6. Angel
7. Giorgio Beverly Hills ( why not)
8. Bijan for men

A lot of the drugstore cheapies like lace by yardley, l’aimant, tweed and white satin were amazing quality compared to what you get today too.
I hate tweed but I enjoy the others.