What powerhouse perfume from the 80's would you wear today?

I remember my mum gave me a sample of this perfume when I was a little kid, and my grandmother used to wear it if I recall well.
Other perfume I liked were YSL Rive Gauche (which is now only available as a deodorant and has been reformulated) and Boucheron.

75583228-CF00-46AD-9B49-6F1472E9E64E.jpeg

Reactions: 880 and carterazo
I Collect vintage perfume (pre IFRA regulations that banned many allergens). I have vintage from the 1980s, Mitsouko EdP, gold flask, which I have decanted to use by dauber. was told this particular mitsouko was designed to throw more sillage and presence via spray. I use very small amounts when I use it. I also Have Guerlain Parure extrait, which I think is from the 1980s. Also Chanel EDC cristalle and 19 from that time period. I also wear KLagerfeld for men from the 1980s; Hermes vert orange and equipage. My other guerlain extraits, Caron extraits are from other decades. My FM and Lutens are from later decades but generally before IFRA changes.

Last edited:
I just ordered a bottle of Opium on Ebay. I know this came out in the mid 70s but it is definitely a powerhouse.
I'm waiting for fall to use it-very sparingly!
Bagshopr, cannot wait to hear how you like Opium! i recall people were wearing it in the 1980s, along with Georgio and a few other powerhouses.

Bagshopr, cannot wait to hear how you like Opium! i recall people were wearing it in the 1980s, along with Georgio and a few other powerhouses.

My mother wore Opium and also Lanvin's Arpege (also H's Kelly Caleche and Worth's Je Reviens). I feel I can't wear any of those although I would actually love to wear Opium.

Wearing (an old) Rive Gauche (first released 1970) my mother gave me recently as it's just been sitting there on the shelf. It must have been a gift because I don't remember her ever wearing it. Mine is just EDT but OMG, still powerhouse, I have to spray on my tights or legs because it's too much, makes my eyes water. I guess YSL's Paris is very 1980s but it's more floral and I don't have a bottle.

My mother wore Opium
Yes, this^ :smile: it wouldn’t stop me from wearing it necessarily, but DH’s mother wore it too. ;)
something that evokes Opium for me is Roucel’s Musc Ravaguer from FM. Or less potent and more subtle, (though thats only relative) an older version of Lutens, not Fumerie Turque, but. . . Am having a senior moment, and the name escapes me, it has added sweetness . . chergui. . .
although I’m no longer a Lutens fan (and I sadly decided this after purchasing a number of bell jars) there is another Lutens that reminds me of Opium, and not in a good way: Fourreau Noire. I als think opium followed a lot of the original Estée Lauder’s: youthdew and some that were really hard to wear, aliage and another . . .

and as a complete 360, does anyone remember Jean Nate splash and vita bath? :smile:

Last edited:
Yes, this^ :smile: it wouldn’t stop me from wearing it necessarily, but DH’s mother wore it too. ;)
something that evokes Opium for me is Roucel’s Musc Ravaguer from FM. Or less potent and more subtle, (though thats only relative) an older version of Lutens, not Fumerie Turque, but. . . Am having a senior moment, and the name escapes me, it has added sweetness . . chergui. . .
although I’m no longer a Lutens fan (and I sadly decided this after purchasing a number of bell jars) there is another Lutens that reminds me of Opium, and not in a good way: Fourreau Noire. I als think opium followed a lot of the original Estée Lauder’s: youthdew and some that were really hard to wear, aliage and another . . .

and as a complete 360, does anyone remember Jean Nate splash and vita bath? :smile:
My Mom always wore Jean Nate summers in the 60's, I can almost smell it now! I remember trying Vitabathas a teenager.
Opium was my scent in the late 70's thru 80's, as well as Estee Lauder's Cinnabar. I am still a sucker for Orientals. I also have a bottle of Givenchy L'Interdit which I break out occasionally. It still smells divine. I have tried 2 of the newer formulations of it as well as a new Opium and they smell nothing like the originals.

• Love
Reactions: carterazo and 880
I don’t know if anyone remembers a time when some restaurants politely requested their patrons not wear Giorgio, Poison, Opium etc. . . I almost feel like this is a OG gen x and boomer thread ;) after retreading th thread above, am going to pull out some CD dead stock Dune.

I love Opium and I hope it still loves me. If I spray it very lightly, in cooler weather, I should be fine.
Opium was my first major fragrance purchase. I was a young teen when it was released, so I was much too young for such a heavy, sophisticated fragrance. But I fell hard for the advertising and doggedly saved for a bottle. I remember my mom hated it, which undoubtedly boosted it in my esteem.