What powerhouse perfume from the 80's would you wear today?

Opium and Poison were the two I wore the most - I use to be a bit heavy handed with my perfume in those days and I can still remember how my co-workers would start coughing after I got into the lift :biggrin:
I too wore Poison and layered on top of it...
I was told I smelled like a French Whore. I replied ” What do you expect? I am French.”
This was 1989 in the elevator WTC.

Vivian Westwood - Boudoir
Loved this and wore only this for years.
Customer reviews on this are hilarious - a lot of people hate it and many of their impressions really have me scratching my head. Perhaps it all comes down to body chemistry.
A retro perfume, big in the style of the 80s but actually came out late 90s.

Attachments

• C8654050-2AE8-4D00-8069-145CA2DCC5F9.png
    C8654050-2AE8-4D00-8069-145CA2DCC5F9.png
    396.7 KB · Views: 1
In the 80s I mainly wore Chanel Coco eau de parfum and had a quick dabble with Paloma Picasso and also Salvador Dali. I really loved Coco and would liberally douse myself daily for years and thought of it as my signature scent. 30+ years later I bought the parfum and although I still love it, I don't wear it a lot and reach for more brighter and lighter scents now - let it never be said that I don't support the perfume industry!
Yes I know I'm quoting my own post, but I have just liberally sprayed on Coco and it does smell really gorgeous. Not the same as when it first came out (me neither!:P), but still really lovely...:heart:

My mother wore Opium and also Lanvin's Arpege (also H's Kelly Caleche and Worth's Je Reviens). I feel I can't wear any of those although I would actually love to wear Opium.

Wearing (an old) Rive Gauche (first released 1970) my mother gave me recently as it's just been sitting there on the shelf. It must have been a gift because I don't remember her ever wearing it. Mine is just EDT but OMG, still powerhouse, I have to spray on my tights or legs because it's too much, makes my eyes water. I guess YSL's Paris is very 1980s but it's more floral and I don't have a bottle.
I still have a few sprays left in my Rive Gauche bottle from the late 80s. It still smells soooo good. It used to be one of my faves along with Chanel No 19 and Chanel No 5, which I still have from the 80s which I never finished. (I'm dating myself:biggrin:)

I've recently purchased Givenchy Amarige in a small drug store size. I LOVE the memories the smell evokes, but I can't seem to wear it long term because it smells too "dated" to me.

I was known for dousing myself in Jessica McClintock back in high school, so I bought a small bottle of that to spray once in awhile as well. The thing is...neither of these can I stand to wear daily because they don't seem current. I know that is silly because if I like it I should wear it. So I'm curious, does anyone else have a favorite 80's scent they are currently wearing?
I'll admit, a bottle of yves Saint Laurent Paris may be in my shopping cart soon......
Paris! I loved that one! Now you got me thinking I want a good throw bac too!

There was one from Dior my mother used to use - it smelled like something really elegant and posh - but I can't remember its name, only the looks of the bottle...

I think the original version of Chanel egoiste for men came out in the 1980s. I buy vintage deadstock from ebay.
Karl lagerfeld for men original (IMO the precursor to SL ambre sultan etc)
opium occasionally
hermes l’orange vert
a 1980s version of mitsouko (in the gold metal decanter)
and many others (but I think the women’s chanel fragrances I like are EdC from earlier 19; cristalle

Reactions: Sferics
I still have a few sprays left in my Rive Gauche bottle from the late 80s. It still smells soooo good. It used to be one of my faves along with Chanel No 19 and Chanel No 5, which I still have from the 80s which I never finished. (I'm dating myself:biggrin:)
If we are on this thread, we’re all quite dated ;) I realized my earlier post above this one was true, but not the whole embarrassing truth lol. Early 1980s might have included Vitabath and Jean Nate. does anyone else remember when power four star restaurants refused to allow their patrons to wear Giorgio and Poison?

I am embarrassed to say I wore Giorgio senior year of HS 1985. I think I wore poison briefly, the original purple bottle. I believe I also wore opium (the little red plastic bottle with the see through circle) bc someone gave it to my mom who hated perfume. I also wore a bunch of Chanels that my family would buy in duty free including men’s egoiste (which I still love) and Hermes equipage. so I was a fragrance whore. I didn’t wear Lancôme bc I didn’t fall in love with rose accords until much later in life (Caron Or et Noire and FM Une Rose ). I think I also have a version of Mitsouko from the 1980s - the metal gold canister holder. when I got to college, BF, now DH, wore Lagerfeld for men which still smells as good, if not better than many SLs to me. When the IFRA changed regulations, I panicked and began to buy a lot of perfume off eBay (i Had assumed all my life that I had plenty of time to grow into older fragrances): so I picked up a bunch of EStee Lauders; old guerlain extrait s including Nahema, Chamade, Parure; Ungaro diva; Le arte di Gucci; Joy; Piguet Bandit etc etc.

Last edited:
I think the original version of Chanel egoiste for men came out in the 1980s. I buy vintage deadstock from ebay.
Karl lagerfeld for men original (IMO the precursor to SL ambre sultan etc)
opium occasionally
hermes l’orange vert
a 1980s version of mitsouko (in the gold metal decanter)
and many others (but I think the women’s chanel fragrances I like are EdC from earlier 19; cristalle
Everyone I ever dated was gifted a bottle of Antaeus..
I can’t explain it. So freaking sexy. :lol:

• Love
Reactions: 880
If we are on this thread, we’re all quite dated ;) I realized my earlier post above this one was true, but not the whole embarrassing truth lol. Early 1980s might have included Vitabath and Jean Nate. does anyone else remember when power four star restaurants refused to allow their patrons to wear Giorgio and Poison?

I am embarrassed to say I wore Giorgio senior year of HS 1985. I think I wore poison briefly, the original purple bottle. I believe I also wore opium (the little red plastic bottle with the see through circle) bc someone gave it to my mom who hated perfume. I also wore a bunch of Chanels that my family would buy in duty free including men’s egoiste (which I still love) and Hermes equipage. so I was a fragrance whore. I didn’t wear Lancôme bc I didn’t fall in love with rose accords until much later in life (Caron Or et Noire and FM Une Rose ). I think I also have a version of Mitsouko from the 1980s - the metal gold canister holder. when I got to college, BF, now DH, wore Lagerfeld for men which still smells as good, if not better than many SLs to me. When the IFRA changed regulations, I panicked and began to buy a lot of perfume off eBay (i Had assumed all my life that I had plenty of time to grow into older fragrances): so I picked up a bunch of EStee Lauders; old guerlain extrait s including Nahema, Chamade, Parure; Ungaro diva; Le arte di Gucci; Joy; Piguet Bandit etc etc.
Oh my gosh! So many names bringing back memories! I remember a friend who loved Opium and would drown herself in it.
Oh and I remember Jean Nate!!!