Hooray for the Halzan...

Hi All,

I've had my Halzan 31 for about a month. I love it. I'm a one handbag kind of woman, and will probably carry it almost exclusively, as I live a pretty casual lifestyle, as a professor, writer, personal trainer, and single mom of two boys. While I love, love, love the practical construction of the Halzan 31, what I was not living was that my notebook was causing my bag to sag on the bottom. I am a writer and have carried a notebook since I was nine years old. I basically carry a handbag to have something in which to put my notebook. If the bag cannot support my notebook, in my opinion, it serves no purpose.

I considered getting an insert and even tried one in the bag. But I actually love leather. I love the way it feels. I love the way it feels to reach my hand into my bag to get my things. I am not trying to keep my bag pristine or anything like that. So, the insert seemed like overkill and made the interior of the bag smaller.

So, I hacked a supportive bottom for my bag. I took a bottom out of a Henri Bendel "bonus tote," removed the satin cover, cut it to size, rounded the edges (God forbid the pointy edges poked a dent in the leather), and temporarily covered it with a scarf (I'll come up with something more permanent).

But look at the difference! That saggy bottom wasn't cute and I think it would have caused a permanent problem over time.
View attachment 4193704 View attachment 4193705 View attachment 4193706 View attachment 4193707 View attachment 4193708 View attachment 4193709
Your bag is beautiful! I'm obsessed with the Halzan and it definitely seems like a base shaper is the way to go. That scarf covering makes for a pretty base shaper - you could sew it closed over the backing from your Henri Bendel tote, or you could get a custom made base shaper. I think you'd be able to get a custom made one on Etsy!

Hi All,

I've had my Halzan 31 for about a month. I love it. I'm a one handbag kind of woman, and will probably carry it almost exclusively, as I live a pretty casual lifestyle, as a professor, writer, personal trainer, and single mom of two boys. While I love, love, love the practical construction of the Halzan 31, what I was not living was that my notebook was causing my bag to sag on the bottom. I am a writer and have carried a notebook since I was nine years old. I basically carry a handbag to have something in which to put my notebook. If the bag cannot support my notebook, in my opinion, it serves no purpose.

I considered getting an insert and even tried one in the bag. But I actually love leather. I love the way it feels. I love the way it feels to reach my hand into my bag to get my things. I am not trying to keep my bag pristine or anything like that. So, the insert seemed like overkill and made the interior of the bag smaller.

So, I hacked a supportive bottom for my bag. I took a bottom out of a Henri Bendel "bonus tote," removed the satin cover, cut it to size, rounded the edges (God forbid the pointy edges poked a dent in the leather), and temporarily covered it with a scarf (I'll come up with something more permanent).

But look at the difference! That saggy bottom wasn't cute and I think it would have caused a permanent problem over time.
View attachment 4193704 View attachment 4193705 View attachment 4193706 View attachment 4193707 View attachment 4193708 View attachment 4193709
Oops...some technical error occurred in my previous post!
I agree with you that the sagging does not make the Halzan as pretty. I’ve started using a bag insert, the same one for my B30 n Herbag 31, and it does solve the sagging problem. However, I tend not to use the pockets outside and inside the bag since the bag insert has all the compartments. You gave me a new idea, shall try that!

Reactions: Karma2018
Your bag is beautiful! I'm obsessed with the Halzan and it definitely seems like a base shaper is the way to go. That scarf covering makes for a pretty base shaper - you could sew it closed over the backing from your Henri Bendel tote, or you could get a custom made base shaper. I think you'd be able to get a custom made one on Etsy!

Thank you so much for this suggestion. I never even thought of getting one custom made. I should be able to easily sew fabric over this one. But yes, the bag definitely needs a base shaper, which I really didn't know was a thing or just had not paid enough attention.

Oops...some technical error occurred in my previous post!
I agree with you that the sagging does not make the Halzan as pretty. I’ve started using a bag insert, the same one for my B30 n Herbag 31, and it does solve the sagging problem. However, I tend not to use the pockets outside and inside the bag since the bag insert has all the compartments. You gave me a new idea, shall try that!

I was dissuaded from buying a refill because it was more than I needed! But a base shaper, which I now have learned this is called, is exactly what the bag needs. Good luck!

View attachment 4201797 Totally in love with the Hazlan, extremely versatile :smile:

So pretty [emoji7] looks great on you!

After seeing ”foldable bags” in Vogue I realized the Halzan is in fact very fashionable right now, especially in a larger size, carried under your arm without the strap. I don’t follow fashion so much but it’s nice to have a trendy edgy bag like the halzan.