Dyeing BV?

I bought a Napa bag that I knew was not in good shape but I loved the color. I sent it to Modern Leather and they recommended re-dying. It cost me $250 but the bag was so beautiful when I got it back that I gasped when I unpacked it.

It is a little stiffer but if I didn’t have un-dyed bags, I might not have noticed. I’m sure I probably decreased the bag life a little but it wasn’t useable before and I know I can carry it for at least a few more years. I have a beautiful bag for a very reasonable total price.

I’ve sent other bags for repair and I think Modern Leather is pretty conservative and won’t recommend re-dying if your bag doesn’t need it. I don’t recommend sending dust bags to Modern Leather. Instead, I send in a white pillowcase with my name on it.

Good luck with your bag.

Thanks for sharing! I tried to give them a call
But they were closed, I’ll try again Monday, if they’re open.

I have successfully refreshed some of my bags, and from my experience I can tell you that it could work with dark shades only: black, brown, dark violet, dark red etc.
I redyed one brown Veneta; I bought this bag pre-loved and its condition did not match the description and photos.
When the bag arrived I saw very dry and old, discolored brown leather and some marks and patina on the suede inside that hasn’t been described. I have decided to try my luck.
So I have cleaned it with Cleaning Lotion&Conditioner by Famaco Paris and leave it for a few hours to dry. Then I dyed the bag with Dark Brown Crème Délicate (Famaco Paris too), pouring the liquid paint on a soft sponge and applying it in soft circular motions. The most important thing is to apply a small quantity of paint and not let it remain between fettucce.
The bag has faded very much, so I needed to do this several times (4 or 5, waiting for the complete drying every time), but the result was stunning.
I was guided by the brown color that remained in the leather trim around the pocket inside the bag, and I managed to achieve the same color depth.
Unfortunately I did not take photos in process but you can see the difference in a picture below.

Then I also have cleaned suede lining with cocount oil soap (Alga), pulling out the lining and cleaning it with an old toothbrush in very hot water, picking up the soap on the brush and rubbing the dirt off with circular movements. Then I washed off the rest of the soap with hot water and left the bag to dry out. Oh yes, if you will do this, try not to wet the intrecciato part of a bag, or even clean the lining before painting the bag, as the paint in the water can leak and stain the suede.
Also. When the suede lining dried up after cleaning, it became stiff, but after a few days of use it softened again.

On the pictures below you can see a result and the products I used.
I hope my experience will help you.

Attachments

• 9CA522C1-B0F6-47ED-A6C1-291D268C00E4.jpeg
    9CA522C1-B0F6-47ED-A6C1-291D268C00E4.jpeg
    474 KB · Views: 216
  • BAB2D9C2-73B6-4EB2-946B-DCE5C1FE9706.jpeg
    BAB2D9C2-73B6-4EB2-946B-DCE5C1FE9706.jpeg
    208.7 KB · Views: 216
  • DAD58E82-4D2A-4676-8E21-373714DA373C.jpeg
    DAD58E82-4D2A-4676-8E21-373714DA373C.jpeg
    180.2 KB · Views: 215
  • 77CC9EBC-FD9F-4C9C-BF7C-5F5687E62BE5.jpeg
    77CC9EBC-FD9F-4C9C-BF7C-5F5687E62BE5.jpeg
    178.5 KB · Views: 220
  • 03F01AB6-0ADD-4AD3-8BBB-3FC5B45E3655.jpeg
    03F01AB6-0ADD-4AD3-8BBB-3FC5B45E3655.jpeg
    290.7 KB · Views: 212
I have successfully refreshed some of my bags, and from my experience I can tell you that it could work with dark shades only: black, brown, dark violet, dark red etc.
I redyed one brown Veneta; I bought this bag pre-loved and its condition did not match the description and photos.
When the bag arrived I saw very dry and old, discolored brown leather and some marks and patina on the suede inside that hasn’t been described. I have decided to try my luck.
So I have cleaned it with Cleaning Lotion&Conditioner by Famaco Paris and leave it for a few hours to dry. Then I dyed the bag with Dark Brown Crème Délicate (Famaco Paris too), pouring the liquid paint on a soft sponge and applying it in soft circular motions. The most important thing is to apply a small quantity of paint and not let it remain between fettucce.
The bag has faded very much, so I needed to do this several times (4 or 5, waiting for the complete drying every time), but the result was stunning.
I was guided by the brown color that remained in the leather trim around the pocket inside the bag, and I managed to achieve the same color depth.
Unfortunately I did not take photos in process but you can see the difference in a picture below.

Then I also have cleaned suede lining with cocount oil soap (Alga), pulling out the lining and cleaning it with an old toothbrush in very hot water, picking up the soap on the brush and rubbing the dirt off with circular movements. Then I washed off the rest of the soap with hot water and left the bag to dry out. Oh yes, if you will do this, try not to wet the intrecciato part of a bag, or even clean the lining before painting the bag, as the paint in the water can leak and stain the suede.
Also. When the suede lining dried up after cleaning, it became stiff, but after a few days of use it softened again.

Wow what a difference! Thank you for sharing!

Yes, I’d only do this with dak colors. I wouldn’t dream of experimenting with my Camel. I’ve given up on lighter bags, especially now with a baby. Im just not as mindful anymore. I completely forgot about making sure not to wear my Bal Greige with dark jeans, and now I have some color transfer. ☹️

Reactions: whateve

Stunning!!! :tup:

Wow what a difference! Thank you for sharing!

Yes, I’d only do this with dak colors. I wouldn’t dream of experimenting with my Camel. I’ve given up on lighter bags, especially now with a baby. Im just not as mindful anymore. I completely forgot about making sure not to wear my Bal Greige with dark jeans, and now I have some color transfer. ☹️
what leather is your Bal? Agneau or chevre?

then it's old chevre (goatskin)
did you try the baby wipes?
but first check on a unnoticeable place, if you are going to try

I haven’t, I’ve been too scared to try anything. I’ve been scared it might bleed [emoji33] but I’ll try the baby wipes in a small area, hopefully it works! I think I’m also going to stick to darker bags from now on, or make sure I keep the lighter colors as a shoulder bag. I made the mistake of using it my City with a guitar strap so it hung low and rubbed against my jeans.

Stunning. Very impressive work. I’m glad it turned out so well

Reactions: sonyamorris
I haven’t, I’ve been too scared to try anything. I’ve been scared it might bleed [emoji33] but I’ll try the baby wipes in a small area, hopefully it works! I think I’m also going to stick to darker bags from now on, or make sure I keep the lighter colors as a shoulder bag. I made the mistake of using it my City with a guitar strap so it hung low and rubbed against my jeans.
any luck?