Inside Job? UPS falsified delivery signature or gave my package to someone else

If she tries UPS corporate, hopefully they will be more helpful than the experiences I've had with USPS. I had a package that I tried to get help with via the USPS. It was an expensive iPhone case that I ordered online that was updated to "delivered" status, but I never got it. I was even at home when the mail truck came to my house and I went right out to the box and got my mail and packages, but this one particular package that was supposedly delivered wasn't among them. I immediately contacted my local post office and was told that it was probably mis-delivered and that "hopefully" the person to whom it was mis-delivered would turn it in so that it could ultimately be delivered to me. WHAT? To me that was passing the buck...not to mention relying on the goodness and honesty of some unknown person. I filled out an online missing package report and got a case number for it. I checked in every day for nearly a week. Eventually I got a message from USPS that my case was closed and they concluded that the package had indeed been delivered! I suppose it was...just not to me! I never did get the original package, btw. But after getting nowhere with USPS I contacted both the company where I originally purchased the item and PayPal, which was the method of payment, and they made sure between the two of them that I ended up receiving a replacement item without paying any additional money.

I skipped a few pages but UPS absolutely does have GPS in their trucks and this really shouldn’t be hard for them to figure out. I’ve had them give me the exact address of where they misdelivered something in the past. I’d also guess that the UPS driver wouldn’t risk what many consider to be a good job for a package with unknown contents, but hey, people do dumb stuff.

The store should just make it right and stop forcing the customer to deal with it. I’m more disappointed in them than anyone else.

I also have to add, the classism that inevitably turns up on these threads always saddens me. These bags aren’t rare works of art or something. Some replies act like the delivery men are just waiting to see LV on the return label so they can scurry off with a bag and risk their job, benefits, and maybe get arrested. I’m sure the UPS guy is handling much more expensive packages daily.

And for everyone who will reply just to be contrary, I’m not saying it has never happened or could never happen. I know people risk their livelihoods to do dumb stuff all the time. I’m just saying it’s not as likely as some posters paint it to be.

Even if the credit card is a NM card...doesn't it go through a bank? I'm sorry if I sound stupid, but I seldom ever use store credit. The only department store credit card I've used in a long while is through Synchrony Bank, not the actual store or company that owns the store (even though it has the store's name on the credit card, the bill comes from Synchrony Bank). Maybe NM is different and they don't go through any financial institution for their cards...but I'm thinking that instead of going through SA's and people at the store where the bag was purchased, I'd at least go to the person in charge of the credit department and see if they can help.

Capitol One backs NM

Reactions: Scarlett916
I also have to add, the classism that inevitably turns up on these threads always saddens me. These bags aren’t rare works of art or something. Some replies act like the delivery men are just waiting to see LV on the return label so they can scurry off with a bag and risk their job, benefits, and maybe get arrested. I’m sure the UPS guy is handling much more expensive packages daily.

And for everyone who will reply just to be contrary, I’m not saying it has never happened or could never happen. I know people risk their livelihoods to do dumb stuff all the time. I’m just saying it’s not as likely as some posters paint it to be.

I couldn't agree more. I turn up here frequently hoping for a happy resolution for the OP, but some of these posts are too much with the classism.

Two people lost their jobs at DHL 10 years ago over a Coach bag. It does happen.

I worked at a post office the summer after high school and people stole packages all the time.

I couldn't agree more. I turn up here frequently hoping for a happy resolution for the OP, but some of these posts are too much with the classism.

I’ve been following this thread with interest, but haven’t commented much so I don’t get jumped on.
The package weight is most definitely wrong. One pound is not enough for the bag and packaging.
Many things could have happened from the time it was pulled from the shelf until the time it was misdelivered.
What I find shocking is the runaround OP is getting from all parties: NM, UPS and CC.
No one wants to bother to find this women’s missing package, even though it’s THEIR JOB.

Two people lost their jobs at DHL 10 years ago over a Coach bag. It does happen.

I worked at a post office the summer after high school and people stole packages all the time.

Sure people steal packages.
DHL went bankrupt.
Out of all the people involved in this story, the driver has the least opportunity or motive to steal it. The driver makes the most money won’t usually risk wages and benefits for a bag that costs about a weeks pay.
It DOES happen, but it’s rare.

I’ve been following this thread with interest, but haven’t commented much so I don’t get jumped on.
The package weight is most definitely wrong. One pound is not enough for the bag and packaging.
Many things could have happened from the time it was pulled from the shelf until the time it was misdelivered.
What I find shocking is the runaround OP is getting from all parties: NM, UPS and CC.
No one wants to bother to find this women’s missing package, even though it’s THEIR JOB.

This is what is concerning to me too. I shop online a lot and I have had many packages go missing, but someone has always helped me out! I had a UPS driver lose an iPhone on its way to me once so I called the phone company and they contacted UPS, confirmed that it was missing and sent me a replacement. Two days after the replacement arrived, the UPS driver stopped by with the original one, he said he just missed it in his truck. Just a few weeks ago I had an issue with my mail lady getting a package stuck (and subsequently ruined) in our community mailbox and again, I was sent a replacement by the company.

I'm completely in shock that LV is not assisting further with this!

This is what is concerning to me too. I shop online a lot and I have had many packages go missing, but someone has always helped me out! I had a UPS driver lose an iPhone on its way to me once so I called the phone company and they contacted UPS, confirmed that it was missing and sent me a replacement. Two days after the replacement arrived, the UPS driver stopped by with the original one, he said he just missed it in his truck. Just a few weeks ago I had an issue with my mail lady getting a package stuck (and subsequently ruined) in our community mailbox and again, I was sent a replacement by the company.

I'm completely in shock that LV is not assisting further with this!

Several scenarios jump out at me.
The OP chose second day air and the SA didn’t inform her there was no way it could have arrived in the proper window. Ground would have been cheaper and quicker.
The weight of the package is off. Either the bag was never in the box and the weight is correct or it was intentionally shipped with the incorrect weight listed.
If so, it would have been flagged by one of the sorting hubs and pulled, delaying the process until correct shipping charge was paid.
If the weight was correct it could have gone through the process (possibly because the box was empty) and been misdelivered.
It gets more complicated since the package went to the wrong address and was signed for.
UPS can and should have returned for the package and delivered it to the proper recipient.
The driver should have admitted his error and taken steps to correct.
The person who received the box either kept the item or tossed the empty box.
The supervisor should have been more on the ball and gotten this sorted out within 48 hours.
NM should have been finding out why UPS is not correcting this.
LV/NM should be determining why a package went out with the wrong type and weight of shipping.
The CC should have taken this whole problem out of the OPs hands and either gotten her a credit or the item.
EPIC fail on all parties involved in this one.

Agree with @mrsinsyder
This is true. As I mentioned before, I use to work for UPS and my husband has been a UPS driver for the past 20 years. They definitely have GPS in their trucks. So this whole issue should have been resolved day 1. I'm surprised it has taken this long. And mrsinsyder's statement is also true that UPS delivers packages of higher values than this one. The majority of drivers I have dealt with don't have time to fuss with looking at where packages are coming from. They just want to get the packages off their trucks.

There was only one instance of a driver that I personally knew who was stashing boxes at his old apartment simply because he said he had no time to deliver them. Instead of being fired, he resigned from the company. Otherwise, most of the other employees that I knew of who were committing theft were not drivers, but rather customer counter clerks within the building who were correcting packages. And some outside employees (not associated with UPS) at the UPS store were also stealing packages because they knew about the contents inside of the package. Louis Vuitton boxes are not clearly marked as such. Unless someone working there really knew what it was...

To me, this sounds like a young dumb rookie driver who wasn't paying attention, but I can't believe that the package still has not been retrieved at this point from the mis-delivered location. Furthermore, the fact that the unintended recipient kept it is just wrong also. If it were me investigating an open claim I'm one of those annoying people that keeps calling and I use to always threaten calling the police then magically boxes would appear.

I'm sorry OP that you are still dealing with this. I hope someone can provide you with a better resolution soon! :heart:

The ups driver did not deliver to the correct address and then failed to correct the situation. They may not have ‘the time’ to look through and see where packages are coming from but they damn well better take the time to do their job correctly and deliver it to the correct address. Mistakes happen- they are responsible and need to rectify their mistake- like yesterday.

The ups driver did not deliver to the correct address and then failed to correct the situation. They may not have ‘the time’ to look through and see where packages are coming from but they damn well better take the time to do their job correctly and deliver it to the correct address. Mistakes happen- they are responsible and need to rectify their mistake- like yesterday.
I'm not saying that these drivers are perfect, as I stated with the mistakes I've witnessed while working there. No one is perfect. Everyone makes mistakes. Drivers do mis-deliver all the time too, that's a fact. Lots of people make mistakes in jobs dealing with insurance, retail, medical industries, etc. Sadly, it's not always rectified or turns out the way we want either. I agree that something needs to be done at this point too.
The main problem that I personally know of as an insider from UPS is that the company is not accommodating for the growing population. Businesses and subdivisions are growing but they are not putting enough drivers on road to deliver the growing workloads.
I know that my husband works his butt off everyday and he works 12 hour days leaving me to parent alone most of the time! And he is not a complainer. But, there is a growing young population of lazy drivers who could care less nowadays. It's just sad how a lot of people don't have character or work ethic...

And as I noted the driver who didn't have 'time' resigned, but would have been fired if he didn't quit.

Unfortunately, my husband is one of the drivers who has to fix the mistakes made by the other drivers who don't pay attention most of the time.

To me, this sounds like a young dumb rookie driver who wasn't paying attention, but I can't believe that the package still has not been retrieved at this point from the mis-delivered location. Furthermore, the fact that the unintended recipient kept it is just wrong also. If it were me investigating an open claim I'm one of those annoying people that keeps calling and I use to always threaten calling the police then magically boxes would appear.

THIS!!! This is one point that hasn't been highlighted enough in this thread. There seems to be plenty of blame to go around between NM, LV, UPS, the driver, etc...but if it was simply delivered to the wrong person, whoever they are I think they are the most guilty of all. To me it's simply dishonest and quite frankly STEALING to keep a package that was obviously not yours! I don't care if it's a $2 trinket or a high end luxury item...it's wrong. Someone needs to be getting the law involved at this point, and I don't think it should have to be the customer. All of the other entities in this situation, from LV to NM to the credit card company, to UPS have insurance against these types of situations. The customer is the only one left hanging to take the loss. And none of this was her fault!

Whoever this mystery person is who signed for the bag should be able to be traced. As multiple people have pointed out, UPS has a GPS tracking system and I'm pretty sure packages are scanned when they are delivered and signed for. It seems like it would be a pretty simple thing to trace the exact address that the packaged was delivered to and send a representative from UPS to the door and perhaps mention that the police are going to become involved if the package isn't produced. It's a shame things have gotten to this point, but to me it seems like the only recourse if LV and NM are not going to do anything about it. I think someone previously mentioned to the OP that she might want to get a lawyer, but she shouldn't have to go to that trouble and expense. It would probably cost more to hire a lawyer to fix this problem than the bag is worth, anyway.

On a side note...if there was some kind of package tampering, then if it was delivered to the wrong person and they opened the box, maybe there was nothing in it to start with and that's why they didn't turn it in? Just a thought...