Do people "judge" you for carrying a Chanel?

There was a blog on this subject a while back on PB.
I have had similar experiences and I really can't be bothered by other people's irrelevant opinions on my lovely Chanel babies. They are either jealous or in desperate need of a fun hobby. And therefore I just tell them that the price is none of their business. What also helps is returning the favor and asking about their morgage payments ...that usually does the trick :biggrin:

Reactions: MochaJen
Ladies, this has happened to me as well, on a few occasions.. It can be so annoying! It's like all my bills are paid, I work very hard, and I never butt into anyone's life like some people do?!:hrmm::annoyed:
I get juged too and I realized that at some point I felt uneasy with carrying, f.ex. CHANEL bags etc. In general, people judge in general, they all know whats good for you, and how you have to live your life. I got very tired of those people recently which suck your good energy out of you. I am single, I have my work, it is my money, I have all my bills paid... I dont hurt anyone, so let me spend my Money the way I want it. Every person has different priorities. So, Girls, enjoy your stuff- whatever it may be!

There was a blog on this subject a while back on PB.
I have had similar experiences and I really can't be bothered by other people's irrelevant opinions on my lovely Chanel babies. They are either jealous or in desperate need of a fun hobby. And therefore I just tell them that the price is none of their business. What also helps is returning the favor and asking about their morgage payments ...that usually does the trick :biggrin:

Ladies, this has happened to me as well, on a few occasions.. It can be so annoying! It's like all my bills are paid, I work very hard, and I never butt into anyone's life like some people do?!:hrmm::annoyed:

Exactly, what gives people the right to be so rude ? If you did not rob a bank to buy your Chanel's then who cares what they cost. Apparently you can afford them, good for you! :tup:

Hi, Val. Thanks for sharing.
From experience, most of my friends are receptive without judgement about my bags. However, my mom would not be if she knew how much it costs for a chanel.

I think some people speak from a place if concern, if so, then I would perhaps listen to them. If they are snide or passive aggressive or prodding, i would just tell them that my finances are my concern and not yours.

I don't wear my chanels around my friends if I know they are insultingly outside their price range. I prefer to wear them around my friends who are more interested in handbags etc - I'm from a small town and for some people the idea of these bags is completely inconceivable.

My parents know that I've always recouped my money from my bags, so they don't really care about the prices.

My boyfriend on the other hand is quite successful. He has two homes, two very nice cars, a very expensive watch, spends thousands on holidays and last year spent twice my yearly income in a week on a boy's car holiday. He's looking at a super car for spring, and considering a second luxury watch.

When I got my latest Chanel (which I bought for a great price pre-loved) he gave me attitude about it. Of course I compared the bag to his own luxury indulgences, but men always say "oh actual craftsmanship goes into a watch" or "a luxury car is different". No it's not. It's exactly the same concept: paying a premium for the luxury iteration of an everyday item. Not a fan of that attitude - but what can you do? :P The next day he said the bag is really nice.

I do try to be mindful of the situations I'm in and the people I'm around when wearing a blatantly recognizable designer bag. For me it's not an issue of judgement, but a matter of appropriateness and respect.

I don't bring in Chanel or Louis Vuitton (aside from my wallet) to work, since I'm sitting next to people currently dealing with the financial burdens of student loans, mortgages, and children. And while I get that I'm not responsible for the situations of others, I do try to be mindful of where others are right now.

I do try to be mindful of the situations I'm in and the people I'm around when wearing a blatantly recognizable designer bag. For me it's not an issue of judgement, but a matter of appropriateness and respect.

I don't bring in Chanel or Louis Vuitton (aside from my wallet) to work, since I'm sitting next to people currently dealing with the financial burdens of student loans, mortgages, and children. And while I get that I'm not responsible for the situations of others, I do try to be mindful of where others are right now.

That is very kind of you!!! :heart:
I do wear mine to work, but most people there can probbabely affort them . Many friends however cannot, but m always happy to loan them my bags when they have 'smething special. That way my bags get to leave the shelf more often and my friends can enjoy the luxury too.

Reactions: Bags_4_life
I don't wear my chanels around my friends if I know they are insultingly outside their price range. I prefer to wear them around my friends who are more interested in handbags etc - I'm from a small town and for some people the idea of these bags is completely inconceivable.

My parents know that I've always recouped my money from my bags, so they don't really care about the prices.

My boyfriend on the other hand is quite successful. He has two homes, two very nice cars, a very expensive watch, spends thousands on holidays and last year spent twice my yearly income in a week on a boy's car holiday. He's looking at a super car for spring, and considering a second luxury watch.

When I got my latest Chanel (which I bought for a great price pre-loved) he gave me attitude about it. Of course I compared the bag to his own luxury indulgences, but men always say "oh actual craftsmanship goes into a watch" or "a luxury car is different". No it's not. It's exactly the same concept: paying a premium for the luxury iteration of an everyday item. Not a fan of that attitude - but what can you do? :P The next day he said the bag is really nice.

I totally relate to this! My husband easily spends the amount of a bunch of Chanels on one watch, or buys a fancy car, but claims that this is something entirely different, his watches are craftsmanship, pieces of art yadayadayadablablabla....He has come around and understands me better now, since there is absolutely no difference. Exactly what you say, all the fancy 'men stuff' also is just a luxurious version of cheaper stuff that has the exact same functionality. My husband actually bought me a Chanel bag a while ago, he really starts to appreciate them now it seems :biggrin:

Reactions: Kisa

I like! All the way........!

I got sucked into the Chanel addiction this year (no regrets!) but had some observations since wearing them.

I do get treated differently depending on which one I’m wearing. For example, when I have my black classic flap Maxi, luxury stores and strangers are more polite and helpful. When I use my black classic WOC, I find myself in more discourteous situations. Being a Chanel lover, I imagined all Chanels were treated with the same excitement and respect - even if it’s a SLG - but it hasn't been the case for me.

I also noticed that I’m more uncomfortable around my family and in-laws when I wear my Chanel pieces. They tend to be less engaging and sometimes slightly ruder towards me.

In a way, the "judging" lessens the euphoria for me but I won’t stop wearing them regardless. I still smile and admire them when I'm at home, but I didn’t know I had to somewhat develop thicker skin when I'm out.

Is it me or have any of you experienced something similar?

I can’t stand people who judge what other people decide to spend their money on. I have relatives who regularly go out to decadent lavish meals (they also happen to be over weight, which may be “judgey” by me but is also an observation). It is none of my business what they do with their money and I never say a word to them when they explain said meals in extreme detail. Heck, I even enjoy going out to eat like this...for a special occasion. These people have no problem making snarky comments about my handbags and other possessions. Why???? Why can’t we all just enjoy what we enjoy and leave each other alone??? Every time they make a comment about something of mine I feel like it says more about them than me...and let it go!!!!

The only person in my life that understands my love for designer goods is my boyfriend. Thank goodness. As he puts it, “as long as you’re not doing something stupid (financially) to get them, I’m fine.” He likes, maybe even feels good, when I dress up with my branded goods. And he enjoys them himself. I buy him stuff randomly or for special occasions. On the other hand, I hide the shopping bags/boxes from my family members. My friends I don’t hide anything because they usually enjoy luxury goods too.

Reactions: dotty8 and sac14196