Do people "judge" you for carrying a Chanel?

Dear shopgirl4cc thanks a lot for your kind words.:hbeat:Now I may even start posting photos as well :coolio:I wish you all the best and enjoy things you love to the fullest :drinks:
Soooo happy to hear from you dear elle :wave:Thank you for sharing your positive energies!!:smile:Oh yes!! I'm really looking forward to seeing your posting!! :heart: I too wish all the happiness and peace for you and live fullest darling! Big hugs to you :heart::hugs:

No, I don't think my family or friends care about what I carry, wear or buy. My mom did care a lot when I just started working right out of college (I know she was worried about me), but now she knows that I have a stable life so she doesn't care anymore lol.

However, my ex-coworkers from years ago did and they would always make nasty comments about my designer bags. It was a bad situation and it was so miserable that I stopped carrying my designer bags to work. I literally felt like I was being bullied. I got enough experience from that position and moved onto another company 2 years later. I did learn not to ever carry designer bags to work after that horrible experience. Fortunately, that was in another lifetime lol. Now I'm a stay at home mom and I'm the boss. [emoji16] My husband does not care about what I buy and he knows all of my purchases. He knows that happy wife = happy life LOL! [emoji12][emoji173]️️

It is horrible and so sad, such "bully" should never exist! but in reality in this world....
I like you stated the part :lol: "happy wife = happy wife" it is so familiar to me that my DH's best friend sent hime this exact message note with beautiful gift when we engaged and my sweet DH still keep the memo since then :heart:

Reactions: Chanel7Chanel
It is horrible and so sad, such "bully" should never exist! but in reality in this world....
I like you stated the part :lol: "happy wife = happy wife" it is so familiar to me that my DH's best friend sent hime this exact message note with beautiful gift when we engaged and my sweet DH still keep the memo since then :heart:

Yeah, and we're talking about adults too (they were in their 20s & 30s). [emoji17] Thank goodness that was all in the past.

Awwww [emoji173]️️ it sounds like your husband is also a wise man. How lucky are we?! [emoji4]

Yeah, and we're talking about adults too (they were in their 20s & 30s). [emoji17] Thank goodness that was all in the past.

Awwww [emoji173]️️ it sounds like your husband is also a wise man. How lucky are we?! [emoji4]
Sorry, my reply missed this part erases when clicked -
Oh no that's too bad, I am really so sorry to hear that, I have very sensitive and justice feeling about "bully" even any kinds even adult or kids worlds....worst things ever in the world and thats happened by humans jealous mostly. Sadly I too have experienced in my childhood many times unfortunately...
But from the experiences, we can be so kind hearted with pure hearts to others and most importantly we're really so blessed with such wonderful hubbies who has fill of true loves :heart::yes: :ghi5:

Last edited:
I dress for work. Carrying a Chanel bag means I take my work seriously. My co-workers are so used to seeing me in a Chanel that if I carry a different bag, they think I must be feeling not that well, lol. I carried my Cambon the other day. Lots of nice comments...like oh, so you really like your Chanel and it is not a fling? No, it is not.

my aunt and cousin... only one particular cousin (I think) love talking sh*t about me and my love for Chanel bags + anything luxurious. I find it funny how my cousin will continue making comments even though, allegedly, she married someone who can afford to buy her it as well. She'll always make a comment "I just think it's so stupid to spend that much on a handbag" or she'll say "oh Chanel is so played out now" she'll always say something to try and make me feel bad.... but it doesn't make me feel bad lol her comments just reeeek of jealousy. In fact, she shouldn't say anything at all because when she is opening her mouth I know it's coming from a place of jealously so it would be smart of her not to say anything at all. A few years ago I would get bothered by it but now I'll flaunt my designers in front of everyone's face who wants to make a ****ty comment. I know your burning anyway that I have it.... so how about you get a good look at all of my stuff and keep commenting! Cause girl lemme tell you, I'm looking at them like [emoji846] "why u mad tho?" Wear your stuff proudly and F*^% what anyone else thinks. You live once. PERIOD.

I ALWAYS deal with this dilemma when I am about to go on a family trip or see my parents. I have to carefully remember each bag that I have brought around, when the last trip was (we travel and see them very frequently) and how speedily I can "rotate" in a new bag to the mix they are already aware of. Like one other poster, my mom is all like monster diamonds and my dad is all like crazy cars and houses, but oh, yes, my BAGS they care to notice!!! Since my mom isn't into handbags, like, AT ALL (to the point that I actually bought her a beautiful vintage but new Chanel for Christmas, and also to try to tempt her into my addiction) I thought things would go pretty unnoticed. I mean, everyone knows what Chanel is, but those who are not into bags, do they really KNOW the price?

Apparently so, yes. But my vantage point is that they don't know collections, prices aren't advertised, so I can always claim to be finding great pre-loved "deals" and flipping others (even hinting that I can make a little scratch doing this and put toward another Chanel without spending that hard earned "real" money). So I think I've got my system down pretty good, right? WRONG.

Forward to this fall, we have a fire in the area and have to evacuate. I am on the phone with my mom and she says "get your passports, jewelry, animals and wrap your bag collection in a trash bag and put it in the dryer". Oops. Apparently this summer her friend (a Chanel collector) was robbed specifically for the handbags. Game over for my ruse.

Tomorrow I am leaving to go see my parents. I am taking a new Valentino. :girlsigh: I have bought a few non-Chanel items in the last few weeks and sold some Chanels (down to about 15-18 or so now) so that 1) I am not prisoner to Chanel and 2) I can carry lovely bags that won't turn heads in the wrong way. BUT, I have to say, and this is the superficial diva side, it's a little anticlimactic to not be taking out one of my Chanel bad ass bags on my trip...

The good news is, I am getting older. Like FAST. So, one day, I will wake up and just not. even. care. :annoyed:

Last edited:
I get that from co-workers. They think I'm nuts for spending that much on a purse. I just remind them what they spend on their "toys". You know electronics, 4 wheelers, snowmobiles, $2K tires for their truck etc. I tell 'em you buy what you love & I buy what I love. Usually shuts 'em up!
To the OP Val... I'd wear your Chanel. Don't let other ppl's feelings determine your behavior. Do what makes YOU happy!

I'm having serious deja vu right now, lol! My assistant is obsessed with hunting and fishing, and he brags about spending 400+ on a fishing pole, thousands in tires on a truck that gets 10 miles to the gallon, and paying to have deer heads mounted. Then he nearly passes out when I tell him that I'm saving up for a Chanel :lol:

I told him one day, "We all have our vices." Plus, I've been moving up in my career and would like a little something to show for it. The way I explain it (NOT justify, because I shouldn't have to do that) is this: It's symbolic of setting a goal, having the discipline to do what's necessary to achieve that goal (which, for me, is saving the money over a long period of time) and then in the end achieving that goal and being proud of doing so.

I'm having serious deja vu right now, lol! My assistant is obsessed with hunting and fishing, and he brags about spending 400+ on a fishing pole, thousands in tires on a truck that gets 10 miles to the gallon, and paying to have deer heads mounted. Then he nearly passes out when I tell him that I'm saving up for a Chanel :lol:

I told him one day, "We all have our vices." Plus, I've been moving up in my career and would like a little something to show for it. The way I explain it (NOT justify, because I shouldn't have to do that) is this: It's symbolic of setting a goal, having the discipline to do what's necessary to achieve that goal (which, for me, is saving the money over a long period of time) and then in the end achieving that goal and being proud of doing so.

That's a great way to look at it. Luv your thoughts! It may be a tough journey getting there but the end result is worth it.....your reward....your new Chanel! [emoji173]️

Last edited:
Reactions: appleatcha
I've definitely had friends make comments that seem to be judgemental and I am careful about where I carry my bags. If I'm out with just my husband for a dinner or something then of course I almost always carry one. But if we are meeting up with friends who I think may pass a judgement I may leave the Cs at home and carry something else. Recently I was carrying my classic flap and a friend in town visiting with her husband noticed it (I had been carrying it all day and mid day in the car she must have noticed that it was a chanel) and said loudly to everyone in the car, "Is that a CHANEL bag???" She honestly didn't mean it in a bad way but of course now she's brought attention to it which was not my intention. I was downplaying the bag the whole time, not flashing it all around or making comments about it. Anyway, it made me feel like I had to clarify/justify why I had it - saying it was an anniversary/birthday/christmas combo gift from my husband. Like making sure she (and everyone) knew that I understood that it was an expensive thing and that we offset it by making it a combo gift. Ugh. :-s

Once I started buying designer bags a few years ago, I built my collection pretty quickly. I don't have a ton, but I have enough. I definitely do not carry my bags to every occasion. Especially my Chanel. I don't bring LV bags (my other love) around my husband's side of the family. Or Chanel. It just feels awkward, like, "Look what your son is funding!" On both sides of our family, we are the most financially "blessed" (aside from my parents), so I like to be sensitive. That being said, my sisters know I have nice bags. It's not their thing, but it doesn't create any issues. They used to give me a hard time. My parents, who can afford basically whatever they want, tend to spend on travel, cars, homes, and jewelry. My mom isn't into bags, so she can't relate!
I use a RED Valentino tote (camel-colored leather, casual in style) when I want to keep things on the down-low. It's just easier that way!

Reactions: elle_chamb24
I tend to keep what I wear similar to the company I am with that day/evening. I have employees and I cannot imagine myself carrying super expensive handbags and wearing super expensive clothing and then telling them productivity is low, or we need to reach a certain quota this month or year, etc.... So I tend to err on the modest side. When I'm out in the evening, or at a conference and I am with colleagues at a certain pay level as me, I tend to play up my wardrobe. . Around family, I keep it somewhere in the middle and often times I don't wear my new stuff. My parents motto is quality over quantity so they understand certain items I own but if they see I have been spending too much, they get worried I am not saving money for my future. So I just tend to be sensitive about who my company is. I know that in an ideal world I should be able to do and wear what I want, but I just feel it keeps the peace and I just stay under the radar when I plan my outfits this way.

Last edited:
Hello All,

Do you feel people judge you (in a bad way) for carrying such an expensive bag? I've been receiving comments like "another chanel?" from close family and friends. They are in utter disbelief that I would spend so much on a bag. Last night, I was out with my in-laws and they were literally "hounding" me on price and how many bags I have . I was taken aback and quite frankly didn't know what to say (so didn't answer their questions). it was the most awkward moment...

I have another dinner with the in-laws next week and would love to carry my new chanel but I'm afraid if I carry yet another one, sister in law would fall off the deep end...

Question to all of you....Do you get negative comments about your passion for Chanel bags and if so, how do you handle it? what is your response? do you think i should keep my chanel bags from the inlaws and just play it down to avoid any judgment from them?

thanks so much. no one in my inner circle gets my passion for chanel bags. my immediate family thinks I've gone off the deep end buying 8 in the past 4 months....in some ways i do agree but hey, i love my chanels! :tup:

Val

There will always be people that will judge you, family or not family. Let them. Don't waste your time managing expectations. What you should do is continue to use your bags even more because you love them. If you must respond, make it something positive about your bag and smile :smile: If you get more negative reaction... what's new? You're already getting it anyway :coolio: