Hermes Cafe Bon Temps~Good Times Cafe

Oh you are so funny--I was actually planning it on the whole plane trip home from the first trip! haha! Unfortuately, it most likely won't be for another year. I am, however, wistfully thinking about doing an eastern US road trip to see places both new and familiar (but haven't been back to for a long time)...would love to drive first to Palm Beach (I hear it is just gorgeous and would love to visit the H on Worth Ave.), then drive to Richmond, VA (lots of friends there- haven't been back in a number of years), then drive to Nantucket (never been- again...I hear it is just gorgeous), then go to Cleveland, OH (went to grad school there and haven't been back since I graduated- a lot of "firsts" for me happened in that city and I'd like to see how it is these days - plus go back to the H at Cuffs in Chagrin Falls), then head back west to home again. It would be a 10-12 day sojurn at least...now I need to see if I have the audacity to actually do it (take the time off from work, plan it, etc.)... lol
Hey Hermezzy that sounds like a great trip too.
So exciting to have something to look forward to and drive you on.
With a goal in place that may spur you on to be more productive and then reach your goal having achieved loads along the way.
I am saying this partially wistfully too.
Looking forward to sharing your planning.
:hugs:

My jasmine is just about finished and the agapanthus are just starting to bloom. I just love the scent of the jasmine! I have a big one outside of our bedroom so it always smells sweet then the plant is blooming. I have gone through the first big rose bloom and the plants are gearing up for another showing soon.
This made me smile GK.
The wondrousness of sweet smelling blooms outside of your bedroom window, compared to what is currently outside ours!
We have a climbing rose bush around our front door and next to our bedroom window which is lovely but......
A pigeon has nested in it, and so is making constant rustling noises and ***ing on our doorstep!!
We don't have the heart to disturb it.

Hello, hermezzy :flowers: I totally get the obsession phases, I do the same. I tend to follow and learn everything I can about a designer and then dive a little deep. I love to collect, curate and wear the clothes when I fall in love with a designer's work or philosophy. I dabbled a bit in Cuccinelli because of the story and even dreamed of moving to the town and becoming a barista or a spinner, lol. The pieces I have had held up very well but I do find some of the looks not quite me so I appreciate from a distance now. I'm surprised Kiton runs large for you, for women, they are quite narrow. I have one beautiful piece, a 3/4 coat, that is on another level entirely compared to most RTW. Like couture in it's fit and craftsmanship. I was happy to find it on sale and now this brand is on my radar. Other designers that I geek out over are Rick Owens, Dries Van Noten and Junya Wantanabe. They make up most of my wardrobe. I flirt with Chanel but it's too expensive for me to dig very deep. Have you tried Chanel jackets? Some guys are doing this, Pharel manages to style it with aplomb. I would love to hear more about how you select and curate your look. I do love the H pieces you've acquired and your restraint in knowing what works for you.

Thanks for your lovely comments, dharma! I love learning of your experiences! The Kiton coat you mention sounds just exquisite. :smile: My most recent Kiton experience was with a cashmere v-neck sweater that I got just last week via mail- the material and construction was divine, but in every way it was too big for me, despite being, numerically, "my size". I've experienced similar when trying on the button-front shirts they make, although I've not tried the pants or outerwear. I'm patient, though, and will keep trying different items here and there because the reputation of the company is that of being a true apex maker- no compromises, just like H. Perhaps, in time, I'll find my niche- that certainly was how it has been w/Cucinelli. I'd try things on in stores and never could find something that fit but now I've seemed to have struck upon a few lucky finds. I'm keeping fingers crossed that the luck holds.

I admire the Rick Owens women's clothing but confess I have not had much experience on the man's side. Dries is great. Watanabe (and other Japanese designers) would likely work well for me fit-wise- asians seem to create clothes that work well for other asians, I've found- but it is hard to find Watanabe clothes and I have not yet tried enough on to forge that bond. There is a store in San Francisco, which I visit once a year, called the Archive, which has a lot of asian designers that fit me well.

It is funny that you mention Chanel- I have dreamed of owning the men's version of a Chanel jacket (and have had a hard time trying to envision which designer best equates...perhaps there is nothing analogous...) . I have loved seeing the videos of Pharrel wearing the Chanel jackets- thank you for reminding me of that. I need to try harder to find an option along those lines. Perhaps this week I'll call up the Boston Chanel or the Beverly Hills one and see if they have any suggestions. I just finished reading an enjoyable book about Chanel so the house is front in my mind... I see on IG so many beautiful Chanel jackets worn by many of you lovely Tpfers and I always swoon a bit. I also have to admit to always lingering in the Chanel boutiques I see in Saks, Neimans, etc. and investigating the details of the pret-a-porter with admiration. I do not know women's clothing well enough, but it seems to me that there is an exquisite quality to Chanel clothing, especially jackets and suiting, that is somehow transcendent compared to other makers. Is it just me? Are there other designers that achieve the same "wow" factor?

I must admit that I am not organized enough to follow any plan or logic in my sartorial explorations, lol. For awhile I was focused on edgier, sleeker looks and, until very recently, was called to Givenchy (Tisci-era), Saint Laurent (Slimane era, primarily), Charvet (NOT edgy, but fits me so well), Alexander McQueen, Lanvin, and Balmain. All of these designers make clothes that require very little (if any) alterations for me, as they run small, at least on the men's side. Now, with the recent pleasant Cucinelli finds, I find myself returning to Italians (or Italian-French) to see if I can score the same luck I've found with Brunello, so I'm dipping the toe in the Kiton, Attolini, Brioni, Barbera, Berluti, Cifonelli, Eidos, Isaia, and Finamore waters again. It's been several years since I've tried some of these so perhaps the cut has changed on some. If I know myself, I'll probably dabble in these for the next several months and see if I find any that are soulmates along the lines of the Givenchy-Balmain spectrum previously mentioned. If not, so be it- I'll stay with the frenchies! I have very little reason to wear suits, so that also affects the whole equation- some of these Italian lines are centered around the art of suit-making and offer limited knits and sportswear.

I'm someone who loves trying things on when visiting stores. I live lamentably far from locations that carry the designers I mention above so unless I'm traveling I must order, en masse, vast quantities of these things from Saks, Neiman's, Bergdorfs, etc., and try things on in my home to see what works and what doesn't. Predictably, most gets returned, but this is usually my best option due to logistics. For these geographical reasons, when I travel my recreational time is spent in the boutiques and stores so I can get that experience that I lack when at home.

I wish I could say that my taste runs to a certain "look", "style", "attitude" or "ethos", but I find that it often does not. I appreciate vibrant color as much as the drama of an all-black palatte. Some of my greatest joys have come from trying on things I previously thought would never work for me but wound up being surprisingly perfect. I love that about fashion- the element of surprise...the way it can make you reconceptualize yourself...

One of our jasmine filled window boxes is at a bedroom window. Hoping it warms up just a bit. Warmer evenings with the fragrance drifting in is so wonderful, isn't it? We have some carpet roses blooming now, pretty but not much fragrance.

Both our front and back yards need refreshing, which a nice way of saying significant rehabilitation! With the water situation having been uncertain the past several years we continued watering plants as needed, but we'd stopped watering our lawn. Would love to redesign the yards right away, but we're currently getting quotes for a new roof, painting the exterior of our house, and replacing some window sashes. So we'll wait to do yard work until all that is complete to avoid the disappointment of new plants getting trampled! I'm craving a beautiful patches of green grass again!

Oh, etoile, I don't remember what coast you are on. Here (New England) the deer eat everything, and roof replacement is quite pricey. I am going through the same thing. EEEK. Makes me want to get up there myself with a hammer.

That makes 3 of us.
We need a new kitchen roof which is an extension to the back.
It's currently a flat roof and we would like to replace it with a slightly pitched one which requires planning permission from the local authorities.
We start the drawing process this week.
It is not going to be cheap!

If anybody is interested in more exotic TV series I can recommend:
Midnight Sun - Swedish/French crime, mystery
The 100 Code - Swedish crime
Braquo - French police drama
The Tunnel - English/French crime
Spiral - French police, I have recommended here before a while back, waiting for the new season to be aired on BBC and Canel+ at the same time.
Fortitude - Sky original series set in a town inside the Arctic Circle. Probably most mainstream of all.

Thanks for your lovely comments, dharma! I love learning of your experiences! The Kiton coat you mention sounds just exquisite. :smile: My most recent Kiton experience was with a cashmere v-neck sweater that I got just last week via mail- the material and construction was divine, but in every way it was too big for me, despite being, numerically, "my size". I've experienced similar when trying on the button-front shirts they make, although I've not tried the pants or outerwear. I'm patient, though, and will keep trying different items here and there because the reputation of the company is that of being a true apex maker- no compromises, just like H. Perhaps, in time, I'll find my niche- that certainly was how it has been w/Cucinelli. I'd try things on in stores and never could find something that fit but now I've seemed to have struck upon a few lucky finds. I'm keeping fingers crossed that the luck holds.

I admire the Rick Owens women's clothing but confess I have not had much experience on the man's side. Dries is great. Watanabe (and other Japanese designers) would likely work well for me fit-wise- asians seem to create clothes that work well for other asians, I've found- but it is hard to find Watanabe clothes and I have not yet tried enough on to forge that bond. There is a store in San Francisco, which I visit once a year, called the Archive, which has a lot of asian designers that fit me well.

It is funny that you mention Chanel- I have dreamed of owning the men's version of a Chanel jacket (and have had a hard time trying to envision which designer best equates...perhaps there is nothing analogous...) . I have loved seeing the videos of Pharrel wearing the Chanel jackets- thank you for reminding me of that. I need to try harder to find an option along those lines. Perhaps this week I'll call up the Boston Chanel or the Beverly Hills one and see if they have any suggestions. I just finished reading an enjoyable book about Chanel so the house is front in my mind... I see on IG so many beautiful Chanel jackets worn by many of you lovely Tpfers and I always swoon a bit. I also have to admit to always lingering in the Chanel boutiques I see in Saks, Neimans, etc. and investigating the details of the pret-a-porter with admiration. I do not know women's clothing well enough, but it seems to me that there is an exquisite quality to Chanel clothing, especially jackets and suiting, that is somehow transcendent compared to other makers. Is it just me? Are there other designers that achieve the same "wow" factor?

I must admit that I am not organized enough to follow any plan or logic in my sartorial explorations, lol. For awhile I was focused on edgier, sleeker looks and, until very recently, was called to Givenchy (Tisci-era), Saint Laurent (Slimane era, primarily), Charvet (NOT edgy, but fits me so well), Alexander McQueen, Lanvin, and Balmain. All of these designers make clothes that require very little (if any) alterations for me, as they run small, at least on the men's side. Now, with the recent pleasant Cucinelli finds, I find myself returning to Italians (or Italian-French) to see if I can score the same luck I've found with Brunello, so I'm dipping the toe in the Kiton, Attolini, Brioni, Barbera, Berluti, Cifonelli, Eidos, Isaia, and Finamore waters again. It's been several years since I've tried some of these so perhaps the cut has changed on some. If I know myself, I'll probably dabble in these for the next several months and see if I find any that are soulmates along the lines of the Givenchy-Balmain spectrum previously mentioned. If not, so be it- I'll stay with the frenchies! I have very little reason to wear suits, so that also affects the whole equation- some of these Italian lines are centered around the art of suit-making and offer limited knits and sportswear.

I'm someone who loves trying things on when visiting stores. I live lamentably far from locations that carry the designers I mention above so unless I'm traveling I must order, en masse, vast quantities of these things from Saks, Neiman's, Bergdorfs, etc., and try things on in my home to see what works and what doesn't. Predictably, most gets returned, but this is usually my best option due to logistics. For these geographical reasons, when I travel my recreational time is spent in the boutiques and stores so I can get that experience that I lack when at home.

I wish I could say that my taste runs to a certain "look", "style", "attitude" or "ethos", but I find that it often does not. I appreciate vibrant color as much as the drama of an all-black palatte. Some of my greatest joys have come from trying on things I previously thought would never work for me but wound up being surprisingly perfect. I love that about fashion- the element of surprise...the way it can make you reconceptualize yourself...
I am not familiar with your style but have you looked at Vivienne Westwood stuff which I believe Pharrel wears quite often. The fit is reasonably slim I believe.
It is potentially not understated but certainly individual.
:hugs:

Reactions: Hermezzy
If anybody is interested in more exotic TV series I can recommend:
Midnight Sun - Swedish/French crime, mystery
The 100 Code - Swedish crime
Braquo - French police drama
The Tunnel - English/French crime
Spiral - French police, I have recommended here before a while back, waiting for the new season to be aired on BBC and Canel+ at the same time.
Fortitude - Sky original series set in a town inside the Arctic Circle. Probably most mainstream of all.
Sounds interesting Xiang, thanks for the suggestions.
:wave:

Reactions: chicinthecity777
My dear cafe friends I am excited to report that we have booked a holiday.
This is quite a big deal for us, it has been a few years and I have had to push to get a fortnight off, but we are going!
Hopefully it won't be too crazy when we arrive at the airport.
Any information on American Airlines and what to do in Miami will be gratefully received!
:yahoo:
Oh Miami!!! Love it! Are you staying in South Beach? We love it there! Last time we were there it was 3 years ago and I miss going back! We flew with Virgin Atlantic and it was really good. Stayed in the Ritz Carlton in South Beach. I highly recommend. If you want more art deco style, there are loads art deco hotels there too. Will you be driving around too? OMG so much to do there! I am so jealous!

A little late but we have finally gotten to the garden. DS1 went away for the weekend, so DH took it as an opportunity to trick me into going to Home Depot and literally leaving me there. It's not like I dislike it, it's that I forget how much I like it. And then after spending quite a lot of time and money yesterday, my mom and I went back today because we didn't get enough flowers for our planters.

But now the garden is full. I am happen last year's miracle tomatoes and peppers return because I have planted around them. I did strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, sugar snap peas, pumpkin, different peppers, basil, rosemary and mint for the garden.

I may have been hungry when we bought the plants.

We also got a ton of plants for our twelve planters and some for the front entrance, where I also made a heart out of rocks. Our soil is very rocky so I decided to use some. I do go all out when I plant!

This is quite a big deal for us, it has been a few years and I have had to push to get a fortnight off, but we are going!
Any information on American Airlines and what to do in Miami will be gratefully received!
The Hermes and other stores in the Miami Design District is of course a must. There's a new art museum. And there are antique shows. Good for you to get this holiday!!!!! Miami is such nice change of scenery from where ever you are coming from!

Ooooo Miami-- such a wonderful city- so international...almost feels like it isn't a part of the USA. South Beach, specifically, Ocean Drive, is gorgeous, as are the sights/restaurants on Espanola Way. I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the Miami H, which has excellent customer service and is one of the USA H flagships. And Palm Beach is nearby, which is one of the country's historic enclaves of beauty and great shops.