Hermes Cafe Bon Temps~Good Times Cafe

etoile, I am no expert on roofing, but one thing to consider is what sort of warranty is offered. Our contractor sold us a $$$ roof, but it has a lifetime warranty that goes with the house--in other words, if we move, the warranty transfers to our home's new owners! To me, that's a selling point. And knowing that if something goes amiss we are covered is a nice feeling. 'Course, haven't had to test that, so. . . .
We are improving our backyard patio and having the house painted this summer, so I am girding my loins for workerpalooza. It is stressful. But I'm kind of jazzed about the patio. We have a small yard and not a particularly pretty view, but our current "patio" is a tiny, uninviting square of worn and broken slate. Not purty. So getting to actually DESIGN a modest upgrade is really fun for me, and I think this project will nicely extend our liveable space for the good weather.

Thank you EDM! It's a little sad that DS1 actually has to go away for me to get all of this stuff done. We even barbecued and DS2 got me in the pool with him. It was almost like living a 'normal' life...[emoji848][emoji38]

Up until last year I figured the garden wasn't great for growing anything (after not touching it for ten years I discovered about 100 tomatoes and several pepper plants growing in there). Hopefully the birds won't eat too much...certainly I will get the pumpkins and the herbs. I will keep you posted!

After I pick DS1 up tomorrow I'm going to had downtown and pick up my Battery park scarf. I hope the colors are flattering!

BBC, so fun regarding discovering all that growing! I wish our yard was a bit bigger, would love to have a veggie garden. When I was growing up we had lowbush blueberries as ground cover in our front yard. We'd wander out summer mornings to pick those yummy, small blueberries for breakfast. Loved that! :smile:

Reactions: prepster and lulilu
Etoile, I have had a lot of work done on the outside of my house too. Some more painting and a new roof are planned, but I have put it off until the fall, after the pool is closed up. I was consumed with my dog, Rocky, being sick and sort of passed the time when it was feasible. My garden, awning and pool are up and running and I couldn't stand more workmen around the house (I had them here for weeks doing work already in early spring.). Nothing is an emergency, thank goodness, but should be done. Fall will have to do. I hope DH is working with you on all the estimates and dealing with the various companies. I was going crazy trying to compare quotes etc. ExDH has been some help, but I am more responsible for this stuff now.

lulilu, I think you're so smart to parse it out, and now you can enjoy your house and yard when the weather is nice. We've deferred this upcoming work, not wanting to deal with the upheaval! My DH and I do this sort of thing as a team, and we've both been involved with various renovations, so that helps a bit. And while it will be nice not to have a leaky roof (which the loads of rain we had last winter made evident), we're most looking forward to sprucing up the exterior parts of the house we can see and enjoy!

etoile, I am no expert on roofing, but one thing to consider is what sort of warranty is offered. Our contractor sold us a $$$ roof, but it has a lifetime warranty that goes with the house--in other words, if we move, the warranty transfers to our home's new owners! To me, that's a selling point. And knowing that if something goes amiss we are covered is a nice feeling. 'Course, haven't had to test that, so. . . .
We are improving our backyard patio and having the house painted this summer, so I am girding my loins for workerpalooza. It is stressful. But I'm kind of jazzed about the patio. We have a small yard and not a particularly pretty view, but our current "patio" is a tiny, uninviting square of worn and broken slate. Not purty. So getting to actually DESIGN a modest upgrade is really fun for me, and I think this project will nicely extend our liveable space for the good weather.

Mindi, you're so right, second quote has a much longer warranty, but also additional upgrades that are optional. So we're deciding where best to allocate funds between the three related projects. Like you, I'm very much looking forward to our yard upgrade, that will feel like the prize for enduring the rest! Exciting really, as I love this sort of thing, but does make me wish we could make all the fun design decisions, then wave a magic wand! :smile:

A year ago @Cordeliere and I were in Paris ogling stuff like this: View attachment 3728416
I miss Paris!
I remember this! I want to read about it all over again! Remind me - did you make a separate thread about it, or was it all here? Everything at that time was a blur with a new baby! I do remember the joke "daughtersaurus", wasn't that from this trip?, I still think about that and laugh... :P

This made me smile GK.
The wondrousness of sweet smelling blooms outside of your bedroom window, compared to what is currently outside ours!
We have a climbing rose bush around our front door and next to our bedroom window which is lovely but......
A pigeon has nested in it, and so is making constant rustling noises and ***ing on our doorstep!!
We don't have the heart to disturb it.

Lol! We had a little bird nesting in a large pot near the front door and I wouldn't let anyone use the front door until her little birdies were hatched and had flown away. Every little bit helps. :smile: Hopefully she'll repay the favor by eating a mosquito, or fly or tick so they won't bite me.

RE: Miami
When I'm in Miami I like to stay at the Ritz-Carlton on Key Biscayne. DH likes it there because he likes to play golf at Crandon. If you like golf, it is a par-72, and supposedly (I say because I don't play golf) one of the top 100 courses. It is about 10-ish minutes from Miami Beach, but more low-key (pardon the pun).

Last edited:
I remember this! I want to read about it all over again! Remind me - did you make a separate thread about it, or was it all here? Everything at that time was a blur with a new baby! I do remember the joke "daughtersaurus", wasn't that from this trip?, I still think about that and laugh... :P
LOLOL. I think the postings were all in this thread. Cordy is a fantastic narrator, and she has a keen eye for detail. I think I just drank and took blurry pictures. Correct - that was the birth of DDsaurus' nickname!! Good memory.