Hermes Cafe Bon Temps~Good Times Cafe

Hello all! Is everyone starting to get a bit of spring? Lilacs and wisteria have come and gone, here. Now the jasmine in our yard and window boxes are in full bloom. With windows open on warmer days the wonderful fragrance wafts in! :smile: Agapanthus are making a show, too. The deer find them irresistible, but they've politely only snacked on a few! What's blooming where you are?

View attachment 3725492
Oh, etoile, I don't remember what coast you are on. Here (New England) the deer eat everything, and roof replacement is quite pricey. I am going through the same thing. EEEK. Makes me want to get up there myself with a hammer.

Hello all! Is everyone starting to get a bit of spring? Lilacs and wisteria have come and gone, here. Now the jasmine in our yard and window boxes are in full bloom. With windows open on warmer days the wonderful fragrance wafts in! :smile: Agapanthus are making a show, too. The deer find them irresistible, but they've politely only snacked on a few! What's blooming where you are?

View attachment 3725492

I've been so busy that the other day I was walking through the pool garden and said, "Wow, it smells marvelous back here, I wonder why." Lol! Then I looked around and saw that all of the gardenias were loaded with creamy white blooms. After I've complained for two years that they were hardly blooming....and they had probably been that way for days :rolleyes:. I guess that's why they say to take time to stop and smell the flowers. Now I make a point to cut through that garden as often as possible on my way to the house.

I love the heady smell of white flowers. This year we tried planting Tuberose bulbs for the first time, so we'll see how it goes. I try to stay detached because on some level I don't quite believe they'll come up. After all these years of gardening, I still find it remarkable that you can just plunk a bulb in the ground and it will grow. But they always do. Hooray for Mom Nature!

Last edited:
Hi Hermezzy! We were in Richmond Va today visiting the Virginia Fine Arts Museum. It's a really great place, DH found it was listed on the web as having had one of the broadest and comprehensive collections. Went there to see an exhibit of jewelry by Jean Schlumberger of Tiffany. The many jewelry and objects d'art were from the collection of Mrs. Paul ("Bunny") Mellon. There was also an Yves St. Laurent exhibit but I skipped that as I've seen one before. We had time also to briefly stick our heads in the Asian art section, which had some wonderful Asian artifacts, things unlike what I had seen at the Freer or Sackler in DC. And the furniture-laden Art Nouveau and Art Deco sections.
Someone at the Schlumberger exhibit expressed amazement to me that one woman could own so much jewelry. (!!!!!!!) I know how. Way back when, the Washington Post featured an article about how Bunny Mellon was spending the summer wearing the same dress (an early 80's puffy sleeve with flared skirt) all the time and carrying a wicker picnic basket for a purse. For evening she'd unbutton the top button. I know what it is like to get obsessed with a particular item of clothing or a particular color.
The jewelry was tremendously ornate. Think of the Dior rings that are covered with enamel flowers (which were introduced maybe a good decade ago). His bracelets and necklaces were covered with spiky diamond flowers clustered together. I saw the famous moonstone brooch of a jellyfish. There was a spiky fish brooch that reminded me of the dolphin brooch that Richard Burton gave Elizabeth Tayor when the Night of the Iguana movie was completed. I could see why costume jewelers like Boucher and Kenneth Jay Lane were inspired by Schlumberger.

Oh eagle, this sounds wonderful! Reading your message really points out, once again, how grand the Tiffany past is, especially the Schlumberger era. And Bunny Mellon? Well, there really haven't been many style icons like her... I've always enjoyed reading articles and seeing pictures of her and her fashions of choice. I have not been to a YSL exhibit before, so your mention of that is intriguing to me, and I enjoy Art Deco - I bet the furniture on display was gorgeous.

I, too, understand well how obsessions can work- I really go through "phases", where I'll obsess over a designer or style and then move on to something(one) else. Right now I'm in a Cucinelli phase, lol- I've been so happy to finally find a few of his pieces that actually fit. I have such a hard time w/Italian clothing- it is so oftentimes cut too roomy for my frame. Kiton and Brioni are just too big for me, usually, and while I'm used to having things tailored, if the fix isn't more than a couple small things you just don't want to bother, for fear of something turning out "not quite right", or the garment's integrity somehow being compromised en route...

i confess that I seem to get pickier over time. I have to say "wow" to buy something these days- "that's nice" just isn't good enough anymore. I've had too many garments that were "nice" that wound up never being worn in the closet and then discarded at Goodwill or sold off for me to keep making that mistake, unfortunately...

My jasmine is just about finished and the agapanthus are just starting to bloom. I just love the scent of the jasmine! I have a big one outside of our bedroom so it always smells sweet then the plant is blooming. I have gone through the first big rose bloom and the plants are gearing up for another showing soon.
Sounds heavenly...what a dreamy scent to wake up to!

Reactions: prepster
My roses are starting to bloom. Plus lots of blue and purple with the irises sage and catmint. It the deer don't eat them we will have a lot of hydrangea flowers this year. We didn't have any last year due to a late frost. I'm so behind. I haven't filled my planters and by now everything will be gone.

View attachment 3726918View attachment 3726919View attachment 3726920
Really gorgeous, Pup- the colors are so magnificent...you've obviously put a tremendous amount of love and care into this display!

Reactions: prepster and EmileH
Beautiful flowers etoile, PbP! I am jealous! We are spending most of our time in our city pad at the moment due to various reasons and haven't been to our country house for a while.
So we watched part 1&2 of the Twin Peak the return last night. All I can say is WTH? It's so weird! NOTHING makes sense. Now I have to carry on watching it in the hope of some of it will start to make some sense. If you haven't watched it, I must warn you don't watch it when you are eating, or alone at night.

Morning cafe! It's been a while but I try to keep up by reading when I can. I love all the gorgeous garden shots. We have a city house but I have somehow managed to not kill my roses, despite my black thumb. When we moved in almost 20 years ago there was a 1 ft shrub planted by the previous owner to make the back garden look more appealing. It now about 12 -15 ft high. It looks best in June.
IMG_0342.PNG

Oh eagle, this sounds wonderful! Reading your message really points out, once again, how grand the Tiffany past is, especially the Schlumberger era. And Bunny Mellon? Well, there really haven't been many style icons like her... I've always enjoyed reading articles and seeing pictures of her and her fashions of choice. I have not been to a YSL exhibit before, so your mention of that is intriguing to me, and I enjoy Art Deco - I bet the furniture on display was gorgeous.

I, too, understand well how obsessions can work- I really go through "phases", where I'll obsess over a designer or style and then move on to something(one) else. Right now I'm in a Cucinelli phase, lol- I've been so happy to finally find a few of his pieces that actually fit. I have such a hard time w/Italian clothing- it is so oftentimes cut too roomy for my frame. Kiton and Brioni are just too big for me, usually, and while I'm used to having things tailored, if the fix isn't more than a couple small things you just don't want to bother, for fear of something turning out "not quite right", or the garment's integrity somehow being compromised en route...

i confess that I seem to get pickier over time. I have to say "wow" to buy something these days- "that's nice" just isn't good enough anymore. I've had too many garments that were "nice" that wound up never being worn in the closet and then discarded at Goodwill or sold off for me to keep making that mistake, unfortunately...
Hello, hermezzy :flowers: I totally get the obsession phases, I do the same. I tend to follow and learn everything I can about a designer and then dive a little deep. I love to collect, curate and wear the clothes when I fall in love with a designer's work or philosophy. I dabbled a bit in Cuccinelli because of the story and even dreamed of moving to the town and becoming a barista or a spinner, lol. The pieces I have had held up very well but I do find some of the looks not quite me so I appreciate from a distance now. I'm surprised Kiton runs large for you, for women, they are quite narrow. I have one beautiful piece, a 3/4 coat, that is on another level entirely compared to most RTW. Like couture in it's fit and craftsmanship. I was happy to find it on sale and now this brand is on my radar. Other designers that I geek out over are Rick Owens, Dries Van Noten and Junya Wantanabe. They make up most of my wardrobe. I flirt with Chanel but it's too expensive for me to dig very deep. Have you tried Chanel jackets? Some guys are doing this, Pharel manages to style it with aplomb. I would love to hear more about how you select and curate your look. I do love the H pieces you've acquired and your restraint in knowing what works for you.

Beautiful flowers etoile, PbP! I am jealous! We are spending most of our time in our city pad at the moment due to various reasons and haven't been to our country house for a while.
So we watched part 1&2 of the Twin Peak the return last night. All I can say is WTH? It's so weird! NOTHING makes sense. Now I have to carry on watching it in the hope of some of it will start to make some sense. If you haven't watched it, I must warn you don't watch it when you are eating, or alone at night.
Twin Peaks is weirder than ever. I gave up after Episode 1.

My roses are starting to bloom. Plus lots of blue and purple with the irises sage and catmint. It the deer don't eat them we will have a lot of hydrangea flowers this year. We didn't have any last year due to a late frost. I'm so behind. I haven't filled my planters and by now everything will be gone.

View attachment 3726918View attachment 3726919View attachment 3726920

Morning cafe! It's been a while but I try to keep up by reading when I can. I love all the gorgeous garden shots. We have a city house but I have somehow managed to not kill my roses, despite my black thumb. When we moved in almost 20 years ago there was a 1 ft shrub planted by the previous owner to make the back garden look more appealing. It now about 12 -15 ft high. It looks best in June.
View attachment 3727669

Wow, how beautiful!

View attachment 3727669
Such a vision of wonder and beauty... :smile:

Reactions: prepster