Scarves MYH's Scarf Showcase - and philosophical ramblings about how I built my collection

Hello scarfies. I'm popping back in to say hello. Hope you have all been well. I've been a bit busy lately and finally have a moment to play on tpf. I've been seeing the parade of beautiful scarves pop up on the SS2017 scarf thread and have been oohing and ahhing at all the gems. Unfortunately, my local store has an abysmal selection of new season scarves. I have not seen one samurai in person!! Argh!! I have seen a few new 140s but none have called my name and my scarf fever for 140cm silks is at a all time high!! I cannot get enough of this format. :panic:You guys know that's my weakness right? But on a quick trip to my local boutique this weekend, my eyes went quickly to a scarf, one I didn't even know existed. A true unexpected find. Sometimes those are the best right? We don't have any expectation of how it's going to tie, if the cw is true to the one shown on H.com, if it loves us back. I was cruising past the men's scarf section with my H scarf shopping buddy, when we both stopped in our tracks! We saw some beautiful neutral colored scarves at the men's scarf counter. Hmm....we decided they deserved a closer look. I picked one up and thought....hmmm.....interesting.....not all silk. Feels like a cotton silk blend. Then we looked closely and found this scarf has the most humorous design we've ever seen!! Every square inch of this scarf is illustrated with something fun and bizarre. My friend spotted two boys talking to a hotdog. I loved the horses and people (one is in child's pose!) sliding down the topsy turvy slide. There is a man stuck butt up in a donut floaty. There is a nose stuck on a wall. There are several men that have lost their heads. People are resting on a giant hand. Someone is ziplining with snorkel fins on from a window. I cannot stop looking at this scarf. Upon closer inspection, we discovered it was a 100cm scarf made of 68% silk and 32% cotton and was designed by Ugo Gattoni, the same gentlemen that designed Hippopolis. OK, the suspense is over! The scarf is called Les Bains d'Hermes. I truly wish this was a real place because I want to go!!

So I'm a strange mix between a thoughtful buyer and an impulse buyer. I do study the new scarf thread and try to plan out what I want to buy. But I also allow myself one or two impulse buys if they capture my heart. So this is my one!! These impulse scarves usually bring me more joy than the premeditated ones. I'm not sure why... any psychologists out there that can explain this to me? And this scarf is so soft and light. I think it will be perfect for summer when I want to add a splash of color to my boring outfit without feeling too hot. Luckily I already have a blue atoll illusion bracelet that goes perfectly with it. Yay! Another really cool aspect is the extra 10cm we get. That makes a double tour around the neck nice and loose - no strangulation! And a few mod pics at the end in various knots. Want to see pics? View attachment 3618896 View attachment 3618900 View attachment 3618901 View attachment 3618902 View attachment 3618903
View attachment 3618922
Adorable!:heart:

Reactions: debar and prepster
Another item on the wishlist! Thanks for the pix. I remember being intrigued when the first stealth pix were posted, but now you've just stoked the flame. Great CW with the turquoise!! I have that Illusion bracelet also ----

Reactions: prepster
I tried this one on too!! I loved it as well. The burgundy and yellow splashes are nice little pops of color. I don't remember it being stiffer than the one I purchased. I do think it might be a little harder to match with outfits. Do you think you're going to keep it?
I guess I am not going to keep this one. The magenta and yellow colors are really nice to have in this scarf. But the blue itself makes my face so dull. :panic:I wish it will come out as other format in silk.

Remember MYH's New year challenge about scarf wearing?
WARNING: I am a retired hi-tech worker, and a bit nerdy.
I have been tracking my scarf wearing since August 1. I thought I would give a 7 month update of what I found so far.
Aug-sep-oct were warm months, Nov-Dec-Jan-Feb were cool to cold months.
rather than bore you with all the details, I decided to tally how many times I wore a scarf from each category ( such as 90 cm) compared to how many scarves I own in that category.

Times worn, Num available, category
39 40 90carre
21 9 70carre
27 3. CSGM
11. 5 Mousseline stole
5. 3 MaxiTwilly
12. 12. NonH scarves

What have I learned?
I probably don't need any more 90s, but I expect to succumb to a few more. The colors and availability of designs in the 90 format is always the best.The most frequently worn ones were my Noel and Neige d'antan - I wore these a lot in Dec! Obviously many 90 scarves were not worn at all or worn only once.

I never wore any of my GM mousselines during this time( not included in the table).
During the warmer months, I favored the mousseline stoles and the 70s. Although I did still wear a CSGM a few times.
The last time I wore a mousseline was November.

Maybe I need more CSGM? I wore a CSGM. 27 times, but I only own 3! All were worn.

My best- used formats in terms of average times worn per available supply were: CSGM, moussie stole, and 70.
I did wear a 90 on more days than any other format, but I have more of them too!

I own some nonH scarves which I still wear.

MYHS suggestion of any scarf not worn at least 5 times going on the chopping block will be a BIG problem for me!
Looking forward to continuing this exercise as the weather changes.

I have been tracking my scarf wearing since August 1. I thought I would give a 7 month update of what I found so far.
rather than bore you with all the details, I decided to tally how many times I wore a scarf from each category ( such as 90 cm) compared to how many scarves I own in that category.

39 40 90carre
21 9 70carre
27 3. CSGM
11. 5 Mousseline stole
5. 3 MaxiTwilly
12. 12. NonH scarves

What have I learned?
I probably don't need any more 90s, but I expect to succumb to a few more. The colors and availability of designs in the 90 format is always the best.The most frequently worn ones were my Noel and Neige d'antan - I wore these a lot in Dec! Obviously many 90 scarves were not worn at all or worn only once.

I never wore any of my GM mousselines during this time( not included in the table).
During the warmer months, I favored the mousseline stoles and the 70s. Although I did still wear a CSGM a few times.

Maybe I need more CSGM? I wore a CSGM. 27 times, but I only own 3! All were worn.

My best- used formats in terms of average times worn per available supply were: CSGM, moussie stole, and 70.
I did wear a 90 on more days than any other format, but I have more of them too!

MYHS suggestion of any scarf not worn at least 5 times going on the chopping block will be a BIG problem for me!
Well done scarf1!! You have inspired me, I need to start keeping track of what I am wearing so that I can make smarter/informed decisions as I move into each season. Thank you, and @MYH of course!!

Reactions: MYH and scarf1

39 40 90carre
21 9 70carre
27 3. CSGM
11. 5 Mousseline stole
5. 3 MaxiTwilly
12. 12. NonH scarves

What have I learned?

Wow, I'm impressed!

Reactions: scarf1

39 40 90carre
21 9 70carre
27 3. CSGM
11. 5 Mousseline stole
5. 3 MaxiTwilly
12. 12. NonH scarves

What have I learned?

scarf1, I understand, hard to release some of the less used! I do have a few I plan to release, but they are the easy ones. They're the ones I wavered on when purchasing, and now I realize my first instincts must be respected. Now I don't buy unless I'm gasping and wowed when one is unfurled! But I have a few others that are gorgeous, and/or so whimsical, but the colors just don't suit me. Stubbornly, I'm holding on to those, for now!

Reactions: MYH and eliwon
scarf1, I understand, hard to release some of the less used! I do have a few I plan to release, but they are the easy ones. They're the ones I wavered on when purchasing, and now I realize my first instincts must be respected. Now I don't buy unless I'm gasping and wowed when one is unfurled! But I have a few others that are gorgeous, and/or so whimsical, but the colors just don't suit me. Stubbornly, I'm holding on to those, for now!
Totally understand! I have a few whimsical or bright colored ones that I love the design, but don't reach for, because they don't work that well with my clothes! I have one that I wavered on purchasing, and it is my least favorite scarf, but purchased during my early days of collecting.

Oh wow scarf1. Thanks for the update! I was wondering how everyone was doing with this project. It seems like you can choose another cashmere or two rather than a 90 in the future.

I'm only two months into my project. So far my cashmeres are predictably seeing the most use. I have 12 and they have each been worn at least 2-3 times. We have another month or two of cold weather so I think they will all make the cut. But I don't think I need many more. I limited myself to one from the spring season.

Other than that I have only worn a handful of my 90 cm scarves. I expect that by the end of march I will switch over to the 90s, moussies and eventually the 70s.

I have about 100 total so the cutoff of five times per year is definitely not going to work for me. I was thinking of using 2-3. I already found 4-5 90s that I know didn't work well for me to rehome. And I know that I don't actually wear my gavroches. I bought them because they are so darned cute. So I rehomed most of them. I'm trying to limit my new purchases. Baby steps....

39 40 90carre
21 9 70carre
27 3. CSGM
11. 5 Mousseline stole
5. 3 MaxiTwilly
12. 12. NonH scarves

What have I learned?

I'm in favor of stocking up CSGM! I only buy that format n it's more suitable for my winter wear outfit [emoji28]

Reactions: MYH and scarf1