Scarves MYH's Scarf Showcase - and philosophical ramblings about how I built my collection

Oh wow scarf1. Thanks for the update! I was wondering how everyone was doing with this project. It seems like you can choose another cashmere or two rather than a 90 in the future.

I'm only two months into my project. So far my cashmeres are predictably seeing the most use. I have 12 and they have each been worn at least 2-3 times. We have another month or two of cold weather so I think they will all make the cut. But I don't think I need many more. I limited myself to one from the spring season.

Other than that I have only worn a handful of my 90 cm scarves. I expect that by the end of march I will switch over to the 90s, moussies and eventually the 70s.

I have about 100 total so the cutoff of five times per year is definitely not going to work for me. I was thinking of using 2-3. I already found 4-5 90s that I know didn't work well for me to rehome. And I know that I don't actually wear my gavroches. I bought them because they are so darned cute. So I rehomed most of them. I'm trying to limit my new purchases. Baby steps....

100[emoji33][emoji33] you must have an amazing collection [emoji4][emoji106]

Any way you could post a few mod shots before you return it, Mimi? I'm most interested in your cw. :smile:
Here you go. Haha... I am still debating. Whenever I look at it, my heart sings. If that can be counted into MYH's scarf challenge process. :girlsigh:

Attachments

• 20170302_093010.jpg
    20170302_093010.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 467
  • 20170302_093040.jpg
    20170302_093040.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 480
scarf1, I understand, hard to release some of the less used! I do have a few I plan to release, but they are the easy ones. They're the ones I wavered on when purchasing, and now I realize my first instincts must be respected. Now I don't buy unless I'm gasping and wowed when one is unfurled! But I have a few others that are gorgeous, and/or so whimsical, but the colors just don't suit me. Stubbornly, I'm holding on to those, for now!

Lesson I keep re-learning and far too often forgetting - listen hard to your gut feeling, always. Scarves I've dithered about before hitting the BIN button almost always turn up in the unloved heap - a very costly and annoying lesson!

Reactions: etoile de mer
Thanks. I enjoy my scarves. I think that number is small compared to the collections of some tpf members.

Thank you for setting the bar at a hundred as a half decent number of scarves - like you I assume quite a few members will regard that number as a beginner's collection :smile:. Anyhow, that gives ne the "permission" to chase some more, especially darker ones, since our winters up north are very long. Staying away from the cashmete ones though, all the talk about pilling has made me fainthearted!

Thank you for setting the bar at a hundred as a half decent number of scarves - like you I assume quite a few members will regard that number as a beginner's collection :smile:. Anyhow, that gives ne the "permission" to chase some more, especially darker ones, since our winters up north are very long. Staying away from the cashmete ones though, all the talk about pilling has made me fainthearted!

I have been very happy with the way my cashmeres are wearing. I don't find them very delicate and I see little if any pilling. My oldest one is about 2.5 years old now. So that's not long term data as I would say at work. But god are they fabulous for keeping warm. And oh so easy to wear. I can throw on a big sweater skinny jeans flats and a shawl to go to the grocery store and still get compliments. No makeup and no jewelry. [emoji23]

100 is a lot. I am still editing things down a bit. I'm ok hovering around that number for now and limiting new purchases. At this point something has to be a complete knock out to come home with me.

I have been very happy with the way my cashmeres are wearing. I don't find them very delicate and I see little if any pilling. My oldest one is about 2.5 years old now. So that's not long term data as I would say at work. But god are they fabulous for keeping warm. And oh so easy to wear. I can throw on a big sweater skinny jeans flats and a shawl to go to the grocery store and still get compliments. No makeup and no jewelry. [emoji23]

100 is a lot. I am still editing things down a bit. I'm ok hovering around that number for now and limiting new purchases. At this point something has to be a complete knock out to come home with me.

Yes, I've ogled soooo many of the cashmere scarves - what you say about no pilling is really reassuring! On the other hand - it might do damage to my wallet - like the über wonderful moussies I am venturing into atm
:smile:

Reactions: klynneann
Hello scarfies. I'm popping back in to say hello. Hope you have all been well. I've been a bit busy lately and finally have a moment to play on tpf. I've been seeing the parade of beautiful scarves pop up on the SS2017 scarf thread and have been oohing and ahhing at all the gems. Unfortunately, my local store has an abysmal selection of new season scarves. I have not seen one samurai in person!! Argh!! I have seen a few new 140s but none have called my name and my scarf fever for 140cm silks is at a all time high!! I cannot get enough of this format. :panic:You guys know that's my weakness right? But on a quick trip to my local boutique this weekend, my eyes went quickly to a scarf, one I didn't even know existed. A true unexpected find. Sometimes those are the best right? We don't have any expectation of how it's going to tie, if the cw is true to the one shown on H.com, if it loves us back. I was cruising past the men's scarf section with my H scarf shopping buddy, when we both stopped in our tracks! We saw some beautiful neutral colored scarves at the men's scarf counter. Hmm....we decided they deserved a closer look. I picked one up and thought....hmmm.....interesting.....not all silk. Feels like a cotton silk blend. Then we looked closely and found this scarf has the most humorous design we've ever seen!! Every square inch of this scarf is illustrated with something fun and bizarre. My friend spotted two boys talking to a hotdog. I loved the horses and people (one is in child's pose!) sliding down the topsy turvy slide. There is a man stuck butt up in a donut floaty. There is a nose stuck on a wall. There are several men that have lost their heads. People are resting on a giant hand. Someone is ziplining with snorkel fins on from a window. I cannot stop looking at this scarf. Upon closer inspection, we discovered it was a 100cm scarf made of 68% silk and 32% cotton and was designed by Ugo Gattoni, the same gentlemen that designed Hippopolis. OK, the suspense is over! The scarf is called Les Bains d'Hermes. I truly wish this was a real place because I want to go!!

So I'm a strange mix between a thoughtful buyer and an impulse buyer. I do study the new scarf thread and try to plan out what I want to buy. But I also allow myself one or two impulse buys if they capture my heart. So this is my one!! These impulse scarves usually bring me more joy than the premeditated ones. I'm not sure why... any psychologists out there that can explain this to me? And this scarf is so soft and light. I think it will be perfect for summer when I want to add a splash of color to my boring outfit without feeling too hot. Luckily I already have a blue atoll illusion bracelet that goes perfectly with it. Yay! Another really cool aspect is the extra 10cm we get. That makes a double tour around the neck nice and loose - no strangulation! And a few mod pics at the end in various knots. Want to see pics? View attachment 3618896 View attachment 3618900 View attachment 3618901 View attachment 3618902 View attachment 3618903
View attachment 3618922

Such a fun scarf my dear [emoji170][emoji170]...I am so happy you went with your heart on this! A beautiful addition to your already gorgeous collection [emoji173]️[emoji173]️