Scarves MYH's Scarf Showcase - and philosophical ramblings about how I built my collection

MYH

O.G.
Nov 28, 2012
Hello silkies. At the behest of a H scarfaholics anonymous club here on tPF (you know who you are), I have been asked to share my collection of scarves and thought process behind why I chose these to be in my collection.

I'm not a natural writer so you may see alot of ramblings and random thoughts that are not presented in a logical way so I apologize upfront.

I'm typically a pared down type of gal when it comes to my wardrobe, but with scarves, I went a bit overboard. I know I don't have a huge collection by tPF standards, but I probably have enough to discuss my scarf collecting philosophy and if it stimulates a collecting discussion, then fantastic! :yahoo:

For those of you that have seen my bag showcase thread, I intentionally keep my bag collection small. I feel horribly guilty when I buy things and don't use them and with bags, if I have more than 10-11, I literally forget I own them.

But with scarves, well, they are smaller and easier to store so I have about 50. I think I just counted how many I own and currently it's at 47. I recently gave away 3 to my little sis to help her start her own collection. I do use almost all of my scarves, some more than others, but I will admit, it's always a work in progress. Some get rehomed, some new ones get adopted, and sometimes they follow me home from the boutique.

There is really nothing more magical than a scarf. On a day you are feeling uncreative with your outfit, just wear all black and pick out a Hermes scarf and toss on a bracelet or bag that matches the scarf, and voila, you have an amazing outfit. :yes:

Ok, let's get started. First I will show you a group shot and then I will go into each one and tell you a little more about it, why I like it, how I wear it, and all that good stuff. This process will probably take several weeks because there's no way I could do it in one go. So if you'd like to come along for the tour through my drawer, I'm pleased to have you on board.

I'm the first one to admit, I don't keep good records of the names and cws. I know some people save the little tag that gives name and cw as well as the receipt. I just could't be bothered. So I'm going to misspell a bunch but from top left hand corner, they are as follows:

1. Les Faceties de Pegase 90cm
2. Marwari dip dye 90cm
3. Sports d'Hiver 70cm
4. Rose de Compass 70cm
5. C'est la Fete 70cm
6. Les Flots du Cheval 70cm
7. Les Sportives 70cm
8. Circus 70cm
9. Jeu des Omnibus et Dames Blanches 70cm
10. En desordre silk pointu
11. Chasse du Bois 90cm cashmere
12. La maison des Carres 90cm
13. Cheval Sur Mon Carre 90cm
14. Photo Finish 90cm
15. Coupons Indiens 90cm
16. Sous le Cedre 90cm
17. Sous le Cedre 90cm
18. Fleurs d'Indiennes 90cm
19. Astrologie Nouvelle 90cm
20. Pavements 90cm
21. Tout Cuir 90cm
22. Noel au 24 Faubourg 90cm
23. Monsieur et Madame 90cm
24. Colliers de Chien 90cm
25. Promenade au Faubourg 90cm
26. Trophees de Venise 90cm
27. Tous les Bateaux 90cm
28. Ex Libris en Kimonos 90cm
29. Echec au Roi 90cm
30. Turandot 90cm
31. Joies d'Hiver 90cm
32. De La Mer Au Ciel 90cm
33. Astrologie Nouvelle maxi twilly
34. Calvacadour maxi twilly
35. Sous l'Egide de Mars 140 CSGM
36. Graff 140 CSGM
37. L'Instruction de Roi 140 CSGM
38. Echec au Roi 140CSGM
39. Fleurs d'Indiennes 140 silk
40. Astrologie Nouvelle 140 silk
41. Astrologie Nouvelle 140 silk
42. Coup de Fouet 140 silk
43. Point d'Orgue 140 mousseline
44. Point d'Orgue 140 mousseline
45. Peuple de Vents 140 mousseline
46. Beverly Hills 140 mousseline
47. Le Monde est Vaste 140 mousseline

I apologize in advance if I have butchered any names or misspelled them. I was just naming them off the top of my head.

Reactions: saranga
So, if you're a horse lover or pink lover, you may be disappointed in my collection. I generally gravitate towards geometric, modern designs. Also, I'm not a huge fan of pink on me so it doesn't get well represented in my collection.

At first, I was collecting silks willy nilly and just buying what my heart desired. But I soon found out, that was not a winning strategy. Some colors just don't look good on me. Others don't look good when tied. I'm sure many of you have read MaiTai and Tango's thoughts on corners and diagonals. So I had to formulate a more thoughtful plan.

In general, I try to get scarves that cover a few categories.

1. Spring/Summer and Fall/Winter - certain cws just fit better into a season and I wanted scarves that covered all seasons
2. Casual and dressy (a gal/guy needs both)
3. Different sizes/formats - I soon realized I could not get only 90cms. Different occasions and weather call for different formats. I've been adding mousselines ever since I moved to LA.
4. Scarves that match my bags - I think when you carry say an orange picotin, you need something else in your outfit to coordinate with the orange bag
5. Grail scarfs - this category cannot be avoided. Once you see a scarf that is on your grail list, you can't unsee it. So in my experience, rather than trying to buy 3 other scarves to satisfy you, just get the grail scarf you desire even if it's above retail.
6. Seasonal scarves - this is a small tiny category and had the least priority but I decided I wanted a few scarves to cover the holiday season (Noel au 24 Faubourg and Joies d'hiver)

With these categories in mind, I started my collection in earnest.

Reactions: Pudfish
Oh, this is going to be good! :loveeyes::yahoo:

This is going to be a fun thread to read!! Thanks for starting it MYH!!

Yay!!! You rock, MYH!!!!

I think you have a lovely voice and I can't wait to see/hear more...I love threads like this - TU for it - cheers!

Hello everyone! Thanks for stopping by. I hope I live up to everybody's expectations. And please join in with comments or questions if you have any.

Another example.

I pulled a few I consider daytime/casual scarves
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1445036429.425598.jpg

And these are evening/dressy scarves
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1445036450.415534.jpg

I have to also say here that these categories depend a lot on where you live. In LA, I really do my best not to look overdressed because it's a casual town. If I lived in NYC, it would be a totally different story.

Another example.

I pulled a few I consider daytime/casual scarves
View attachment 3159621

And these are evening/dressy scarves
View attachment 3159622

I have to also say here that these categories depend a lot on where you live. In LA, I really do my best not to look overdressed because it's a casual town. If I lived in NYC, it would be a totally different story.

You make a very valid point, MYH, which is why I feel I can justify my H habit to my DH (we live in a climate that's frigid for 5-6 months a year....one NEEDS lots of scarves for that, right?!;))

You make a very valid point, MYH, which is why I feel I can justify my H habit to my DH (we live in a climate that's frigid for 5-6 months a year....one NEEDS lots of scarves for that, right?!;))
Oh yes! North easterners need double the amount of scarves as west coasters. So you should have about a hundred.

Reactions: dzesika
A few thoughts on storage. I know everyone does this a different way. For me, if I keep them all in their boxes, I will forget what I have. I need to visually see them to jog my memory on their cws and design. I haven't had the opportunity to find those old map storage chests, which would be ideal. So for now I line my drawers with acid-free tissue paper from the container store and let them rest in there. All my scarves fit into two small drawers. 90's and 70's in one. 140's in the other.
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1445037932.464129.jpg
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1445037942.797595.jpg

I'm not sure which scarf to discuss in detail for my first one. My favorite? My most used? The most versatile? The one I wore most recently? My holy grail? the first one I ever bought?

I thought I would let you decide. So shout out which one you want to see first and I will do that one!