Louis Vuitton is now a 'brand for secretaries' in China

This is how I think about it:

Something is "low class" when the person carrying it is vulgar or low class herself. Someone could carry a Birkin bag in croc and could still look vulgar and low class.

Money does not buy elegance.

+1, at the end of the day material things don't matter. All that matters is whether or not you're a good person, and the type of bag you carry doesn't change that. After all, handbags are just bags. That's it. They're made to carry our crap. They don't change the type of person you are.

Lately, I see it a lot on one of the sub-forums, people don't understand what Luxury USED to mean.

Luxury used to be about high quality…

People USED to care that their shoes were Made In Italy.
People used to care that their watches were Made in Switzerland.
That their Crystal was made in Austria.
Their silk in Hong Kong..

Now, people just care about getting the latest "IT" bag.
they don't care where it is made.
"Oh, I see my Prada bag is made in China, I don't care though, I like the bag. "

One only need to visit the Prada Sub-Forum to see this.

Prada being made in China, falling apart within a year.

People only care about the names, not the quality behind these names
anymore.
This I find terribly sad. This is why Luxury no longer hold the status
is used to, it is no longer about the history or the craftsmanship
and standing behind the name.

I tried on a pair of Lanvin Boots a few years back,
with the conversion they would have cost me over $1,000
The price was reasonable in my opinion, it was the fact
that they were made in China that turned me off from buying them.

Don't get me wrong, there are some thing I have no problem being made in
China, just not $1,000 Lanvin Boots.

Luxury has become mass produced and disposable. Which is the antithesis of what Luxury used to stand for.

Well said.

there are so may judgements flying around. rich judge the poor. poor judge the rich. you're a loser if you scrape and save for a bag because you are trying to be nouveau riche. you're a loser if you snag a rich man and he buys you a bag or many bags. if you're not rich and you buy an LV, you're 'uppity'. if you are rich and you buy an LV, you are ghetto because some folks who scraped and saved sport the same bag. or worst of all, if you are desperate for a boost and buy a fake, God help you, because everyone will hate you.

how about a recognition that we are all born and we all will die. we all live under the same sun. a little kindness and acceptance toward our fellow woman would be such a relief. everyone is walking their path, and often it is a hard path, even though it may not seem evident to onlookers. kindness, mercy, grace would be wonderful.

there are so may judgements flying around. rich judge the poor. poor judge the rich. you're a loser if you scrape and save for a bag because you are trying to be nouveau riche. you're a loser if you snag a rich man and he buys you a bag or many bags. if you're not rich and you buy an LV, you're 'uppity'. if you are rich and you buy an LV, you are ghetto because some folks who scraped and saved sport the same bag. or worst of all, if you are desperate for a boost and buy a fake, God help you, because everyone will hate you.

how about a recognition that we are all born and we all will die. we all live under the same sun. a little kindness and acceptance toward our fellow woman would be such a relief. everyone is walking their path, and often it is a hard path, even though it may not seem evident to onlookers. kindness, mercy, grace would be wonderful.

Very well said. Also reminds me of a quotation I heard decades ago, but which has stuck with me through the years: "Small minds discuss people. Average minds discuss events. Great minds discuss ideas".

FS

Lol!!! Class is when you're not judgemental. You can be rich and from an old money family but if you're looking down on people based on what they wear then you're just a rich fart or rich bish. Nothing classy about these two.

Yes!!! This!!! All day and all night!!!

http://www.businessinsider.sg/louis-vuitton-losing-sales-in-china-2015-2/

China’s elite have become too savvy for Louis Vuitton, which has exploded in popularity in the middle class.

“I don’t see anybody carrying a Gucci or Louis Vuitton bag,” Sara Jane Ho, the founder of the elite Chinese etiquette school Institute Sarita, told Business Insider. “My clients are sophisticated. My students are the people who were buying an Hermes bag 10 years ago and holding themselves to higher standards.”

As HSBC managing director Ewan Rambourg explains in “The Bling Dynasty: Why the Reign of Chinese Luxury Shoppers Has Only Just Begun,” Louis Vuitton has been a big deal in China since around 2003, when sales peaked in Japan. While Japan’s elite were less concerned about the brand hitting the mainstream, however, China’s elite have a different attitude toward luxury.

“Japanese people used to purchase luxury products to fit in whereas Chinese are buying the goods to stand out,” Rambourg writes, paraphrasing Swarovski executive Francis Belin.

Now China’s very high-end consumers are abandoning the label for even more expensive brands or bespoke goods. A typical Chinese luxury shopper, he claims, might think, “I can’t buy Vuitton, I’ve seen it too much, it’s a brand for secretaries.”

“Louis Vuitton has become too ordinary,” a billionaire woman told China Market Research Group managing director Shaun Rein in 2011. “Everyone has it. You see it in every restaurant in Beijing. I prefer Chanel or Bottega Veneta now. They are more exclusive.”

It hasn’t helped that there are so many counterfeit Louis Vuitton handbags in China and around the world.
Louis Vuitton sells plenty of goods in China, but now the core consumers include young office workers with spending money who save up to buy the status symbol. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing given that China’s middle class may be the biggest growth market there is. The challenge will be holding onto those core consumers while also trying to win back the richest customers.

To succeed, Louis Vuitton may need to move away from its monogrammed, label-heavy image and become a more nuanced luxury company.

“Wealthy Chinese want to make a statement about their social status and what they wear, but they’re getting a little more subtle,” Hansi Men, an investment immigration lawyer at Streit & Su law firm, told Business Insider. “They want you to know it’s Louis Vuitton, but they don’t like the big characters on their shirt. They still want you to know that it’s Louis Vuitton without really knowing.”

Unfortunately this is not new. The Chinese in China are really into labels and they are willing to spend money on items that are expensive is deemed exclusive. I understand the need to have those items but at the same time I am also someone who needs to pay her bills and monthly expenses.