Mulberry repair problem- need advice

It is regular lily they emailed about. They haven't updated me on medium as yet.

Regular lily is out of warranty so I'm amazed they won't just fix her, as they would be able to charge you, non?

I'm inpressed you get emails! All three times (and I've only owned four Mulbs!) I've taken bags for repairs i've received phone calls from the stores I dropped the bags off at. Wow...four bags, three repairs, it's not great is it?!

Regular lily is out of warranty so I'm amazed they won't just fix her, as they would be able to charge you, non?

I'm inpressed you get emails! All three times (and I've only owned four Mulbs!) I've taken bags for repairs i've received phone calls from the stores I dropped the bags off at. Wow...four bags, three repairs, it's not great is it?!
Not great at all in my opinion. I think they emailed me as I sent it with my medium lily which is still in warranty and it is the same complaint.

Oh dear! I won't accept the voucher as I should not be out of pocket for a bag they have deemed had a fault. I bought it in good faith! The fact the same thing has happened to the medium lily which is newer and still in warranty shows that there are definitely issues with how they colour the chains.

Quite right Princess! My problem was my bag was no longer in production.

i am well armed for the next time though. I was thinking if they can't repair my beloved SECOND SS Lexie I would need to shell out an extra £400 to get a new one...i will jolly well ask for a replacement.

I had a Lily briefly and re-homed her, I have to say that at £750 I hoped the bag would last very many years indeed!!!

Quite right Princess! My problem was my bag was no longer in production.

i am well armed for the next time though. I was thinking if they can't repair my beloved SECOND SS Lexie I would need to shell out an extra £400 to get a new one...i will jolly well ask for a replacement.

I had a Lily briefly and re-homed her, I have to say that at £750 I hoped the bag would last very many years indeed!!!
I am interested to see what they do! But it has been so helpful getting all your comments. I love tpf for that reason. You ladies are great!

Not great at all in my opinion. I think they emailed me as I sent it with my medium lily which is still in warranty and it is the same complaint.

Ah you SENT it....I took mine into store...which is why they called me re the credit note and never mentioned a replacement! I will know for next time! A replacement should be like for like, regardless of their ridiculous price hikes!

Hi CP

If I were you, I would work on the basis that you will get a replacement bag if you ask for it, regardless of the value.

Perhaps you could respond to the email to say that you are extremely disappointed that a) the bag cannot be repaired and b) it cannot be replaced with the same model. However, being a frequent Mulberry customer you also understand that lines are often discontinued. On this basis and even though it is not the scenario you had expected & say you would like to accept the offer of a replacement of the grainy print black lily....?!

I would not mention price at all - if mulberry come back to say that you will need to pay the balance explain that is not acceptable. The bag provided to you was not fit for purpose and you should not therefore incur any cost/be at a loss when provided with the same type and size bag as a replacement - mulberry prides itself on making quality products that should last for a long time & you should not suffer as a consequence of price increases when you are in effect getting a replacement product!

Rant over.

I do hope you can sort it xx

It is regular lily they emailed about. They haven't updated me on medium as yet.

Oh dear rave and rant at them it might work. :rant:
Saying how many you have and that u will never buy from them again.
Its their loss and their reputation will be ruined if they read the TPF as you are a VIP member on the Mulberry thread. Fingers crossed X

I've only just seen this thread, CP and I'm absolutely horrified - two out of two Lilies having the same fault isn't good for a start! Certainly not at Mulberry prices!

You should definitely get a replacement, like for like, if they can't (though I fail to see why not) attach a new chain to your existing Lily. A voucher no way covers a new purchase.

Keep us posted; still more QC issues and yet Mulberry wants to be seen as a "luxury brand." Hmmm. My (as yet undisclosed) experience in their "flagship store" in London this August made me seriously reconsider this appellation ...

Just read this CP, definitely go for replacement of like-for-like (or plus). Perhaps next seasonal colour even??

Fingers crossed for you - I shall check my Med Lily's chain tonight....

Agh CP this is so wrong! Firstly I hope they sort your med lily and secondly do they think your mad? Why would you pay extra to replace a bag you ALREADY own! Will they give you your black regular lily back?

I'm really sorry but I felt compelled to make a post here because Mulberry seem to be having some very unfair ranting by lots of people pointed in their direction when it isn't really warranted.

It seems like they have offered to replace the bag for you - so I'm sure you will be able to just get a replacement Lily. As an early poster mentioned, she had the same email and was given a UJ Bays in lieu of an old Mabel, so surely this is an indication of amazing customer service? Certainly, I don't know of any other brand that would do this?

Next up - the tarnishing of the chain strap. Maybe it's just me, but I have various metal objects - both around the house and jewellery - in time, they tarnish. That's just what happens - nothing to do with Mulberry's quality. I have an 18ct white gold ring - after been worn for a while - it tarnishes - it needs to have it's rhodium plating replaced. That's just the nature of the metal. The fact that they are holding their hands up and taking responsibility is fantastic. To offer a replacement for a 2 year old bag is even better.

At the moment, it seems that their email might be slightly vague, but I think it's really unfair that everyone is reading in to it the most negative way possible. Perhaps it should be clarified first before everyone assumes the worse?

CP - please don't take this personally, my comments are just made in general in the direction of everyone who seems appalled and is encouraging you to rant at Mulberry. I honestly think that their customer service is fantastic (I've had issues myself in the past and it's been dealt with very well indeed) especially compared to other brands. I hope that you manage to get the new Lily you are hoping for.

Ah you SENT it....I took mine into store...which is why they called me re the credit note and never mentioned a replacement! I will know for next time! A replacement should be like for like, regardless of their ridiculous price hikes!

That is exceedingly cheeky of them! I agree that a replacement should be like for like as I currently have NO bag and I should not be out of pocket for their faulty item.

Hi CP

If I were you, I would work on the basis that you will get a replacement bag if you ask for it, regardless of the value.

Perhaps you could respond to the email to say that you are extremely disappointed that a) the bag cannot be repaired and b) it cannot be replaced with the same model. However, being a frequent Mulberry customer you also understand that lines are often discontinued. On this basis and even though it is not the scenario you had expected & say you would like to accept the offer of a replacement of the grainy print black lily....?!

I would not mention price at all - if mulberry come back to say that you will need to pay the balance explain that is not acceptable. The bag provided to you was not fit for purpose and you should not therefore incur any cost/be at a loss when provided with the same type and size bag as a replacement - mulberry prides itself on making quality products that should last for a long time & you should not suffer as a consequence of price increases when you are in effect getting a replacement product!

Rant over.

I do hope you can sort it xx

Thank you. I agree with EVERYTHING you have said. I just wanted to be sure that I wasn't being unreasonable as I consider myself a fair person. It is really a replacement product as they have admitted the product has 'not lived up to their quality standards'. Except for the problems with the chain handles the bag was in perfect condition (like all of my bags!)

Oh dear rave and rant at them it might work. :rant:
Saying how many you have and that u will never buy from them again.
Its their loss and their reputation will be ruined if they read the TPF as you are a VIP member on the Mulberry thread. Fingers crossed X
hahaha. I will rant and rave if I have to JAN. my default is always to be professional....until I have to kick up a stink!;)

I've only just seen this thread, CP and I'm absolutely horrified - two out of two Lilies having the same fault isn't good for a start! Certainly not at Mulberry prices!

You should definitely get a replacement, like for like, if they can't (though I fail to see why not) attach a new chain to your existing Lily. A voucher no way covers a new purchase.

Keep us posted; still more QC issues and yet Mulberry wants to be seen as a "luxury brand." Hmmm. My (as yet undisclosed) experience in their "flagship store" in London this August made me seriously reconsider this appellation ...

Oh dear.... you need to tell us about that one. The reason I bought the lily 2 years ago is that I actually wanted a lily bag..... and paid what was a silly price then for such a small bag which cannot be used on a daily basis. So the trade off was that the bag would last me many years...I guess I was wrong!

Just read this CP, definitely go for replacement of like-for-like (or plus). Perhaps next seasonal colour even??

Fingers crossed for you - I shall check my Med Lily's chain tonight....

definitely do that ratrat as if there is a problem it is better to complain while it is still under warranty.

Agh CP this is so wrong! Firstly I hope they sort your med lily and secondly do they think your mad? Why would you pay extra to replace a bag you ALREADY own! Will they give you your black regular lily back?

no mention of sending back my regular lily. Which is why it would be insane of them not to offer me its closest replacement from the website regardless of the new price. I didn't purchase the bag two years ago to end up with no bag now and some vouchers!!!!

Will keep you all updated!

Hi CP,

So sorry to hear this! I agree with others, ask for a new lily, I'm sure you will get it and they're just pushing their luck?

My medium lily chain was replaced as you know so I wonder, do they still do the lily in the leather you have? If not it might be that the new chain would have different leather - not that this makes it ok! It's definitely unacceptable I just can't get my head around them not fixing it?!?! So silly. I'm just hoping they manage to find me a matching clochette after they sent my bag back without it - I don't have an update from the store or repairs team! Make sure they return your medium with the lock and good luck, I am sure they will honour like for like on your regular.

I'm really sorry but I felt compelled to make a post here because Mulberry seem to be having some very unfair ranting by lots of people pointed in their direction when it isn't really warranted.

It seems like they have offered to replace the bag for you - so I'm sure you will be able to just get a replacement Lily. As an early poster mentioned, she had the same email and was given a UJ Bays in lieu of an old Mabel, so surely this is an indication of amazing customer service? Certainly, I don't know of any other brand that would do this?

Next up - the tarnishing of the chain strap. Maybe it's just me, but I have various metal objects - both around the house and jewellery - in time, they tarnish. That's just what happens - nothing to do with Mulberry's quality. I have an 18ct white gold ring - after been worn for a while - it tarnishes - it needs to have it's rhodium plating replaced. That's just the nature of the metal. The fact that they are holding their hands up and taking responsibility is fantastic. To offer a replacement for a 2 year old bag is even better.

At the moment, it seems that their email might be slightly vague, but I think it's really unfair that everyone is reading in to it the most negative way possible. Perhaps it should be clarified first before everyone assumes the worse?

CP - please don't take this personally, my comments are just made in general in the direction of everyone who seems appalled and is encouraging you to rant at Mulberry. I honestly think that their customer service is fantastic (I've had issues myself in the past and it's been dealt with very well indeed) especially compared to other brands. I hope that you manage to get the new Lily you are hoping for.
Thanks lulu for your opinion :smile: I assure you no offence has been taken!

I agree with you re not ranting as yet and so they received a nice but firm email back from me yesterday asking for a replacement lily. I will only argue with them if they behave unreasonably.

I do disagree with you about the tarnishing though. If this were the case then I see no reason why their bag should be that much more expensive than a chain bag from primark!!!! Also the problem has happened with my new medium lily as well so there is definitely a problem with the chain handles. And if there was an expectation from them that the bag would tarnish so quickly then they should put a disclaimer on their product saying "the handles on this bag are expected to tarnish over time"...similar to the disclaimers they put on certain leather finishes like silky snake. Then I would keep my money and buy something else....I mean chanel happily refurbishes bags that are decades old at their bag spa. This just required a replacement chain handle which I was quite happy to pay for as the regular lily is out of warranty and I know on this forum that they can and have replaced the handles for less than £50.

So I find the situation where I can potentially have no bag exceedingly annoying. Initially they said the repair would be straightforward. The story changed yesterday and their email to me is rather vague and leaves room for confusion. if they do offer the replacement lily then that is superb customer service. But it is not quite clear what exactly they are offering as a replacement product up to £475 is not acceptable as I would have no lily and should not be £275 out of pocket for what they have admitted was a faulty product.

:smile:

we shall see!!