Travel CHICAGO! Tips, restaurants and hotel advice!

Thanks so much. I might be stuck at the airport for 9 hours or so in a couple of weeks.
I'd suggest buying a day pass to the club for the airline you're flying. For example, a day pass is $50 for American Airline and it includes wifi access. I usually use my AMEX Platinum card to get into the club, but for some reason, AA won't let you access wifi with this. 9 hours is a looonnnng time to spend out there in the terminal, IMO!

I'd suggest buying a day pass to the club for the airline you're flying. For example, a day pass is $50 for American Airline and it includes wifi access. I usually use my AMEX Platinum card to get into the club, but for some reason, AA won't let you access wifi with this. 9 hours is a looonnnng time to spend out there in the terminal, IMO!

I second this. Plus the free Wifi is only in certain areas. Like the other poster said, it is usually packed, and if you leave that area, you will have to pay for wifi if you are sitting at your gate. It's not a lot of money, especially since you have 9 hours to kill, but I'd still rather sit in the club than sit in O'Hare for 9 hours ANY DAY. Good luck:smile:

I haven't been in a couple years so I'd like newer recommendations specifically for restaurants and shopping around MagMile/State/Rush/Oak. Im plus size for the most part but love bags, makeup, accessories, and paper.

<---Chicago girl

For shopping, start at 900 North Michigan (Bloomies and tons of other stores - and they validate parking) and walk your way South. Check out the Chicago office of Tourism at

http://www.explorechicago.org/city/en.html

for fun things to do.

As far as food goes, go to Menupages.com for Chicago - every restaurant in the City is listed, with menus and info. You can also check out Opentable.com for Chicago. It's hard to make a recommendation when I don't know what you like but for lunch go to Water Tower and there is a cafeteria style restaurant called Foodlife that is great. And by cafeteria I mean tons of stations (Chinese, Mexican, etc...mix and match) and they are run by some of the really good restaurants in the City.

Water Tower Place has a Papyrus and a Crane's. Also a Sephora there and Macy's has a great beauty department. I remember a paper store on one of the side streets off North Michigan (maybe a block or two south of Oak St.), but not sure if it's still there. Shops change (I really miss the Border's near the Water Tower).

If you've been there before, you know that North Michigan and Oak St. have virtually every high end name there is for bags, including Hermes, Prada, Tod's, Chanel, LV, BV, Coach, Cole Haan, Gucci, and the department stores have a great selection of many brands too.

One of my favorite places to eat or get carryout is Pierre Gourmet (Peninsula Hotel) on Rush.

Thanks ladies! I was not aware of the Hermes store...HMMM. perhaps a double tour bracelet.

I do know that last time we were there, a lot of great stuff on Michigan that I liked was gone, so hopefully it's not as barren. I THINK the paper-source shops are in Lincoln Park and in River North area maybe. There's several in Chicago, as it's headquartered there. We have Cranes and Papyrus here but they serve me no purpose, not like Paper-Source does.

I enjoyed Barneys on Oak/Rush, is there also a Bendel's along Michigan now?!

how is the Nordstrom on Michigan?

Our favorite restaurant is Petterinos, so I hope it's still as good as the last few trips up.

Clothes wise I am on the plus size/regular XL size line which sucks, I mostly can't buy nice jeans if they're not brands like KUT from Nordstrom which goes up to a good 16.

I love office supplies and the like.

Makeup/hair stuff a LOT.

No Bendel's that I know about. Barney's NY is on Oak; on Michigan Ave. look for Bloomie's, Neiman Marcus, Saks, Macy's, and Nordy's. I don't care for the Nordstrom at North Bridge mall, but maybe it's just me. No particular reason.

You're right--a Paper Source is different from the Papyrus/Crane shops. The shop I recall was an independent one; small version of a Paper Source.