Travel CHICAGO! Tips, restaurants and hotel advice!

Sorry I did a typo - Wheels down @ 930 at the terminal @945 depending on how many planes are taxing down the runway.

Yikes, I got a bit worried there for a while. O'hare is one of my least favorite airport, just behind CDG.

I know I don't have a lot of time but staying at the airport for hours is going to bore me to death. Specially since I've already flown 3.5h and have another 9h to go. A couple of hours in the city will be good, unless of course there's a storm. In that case I just have to stay put.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've been to the art museum before but never to The Field Museum so that could be something to try out.

I'm the type of person who would be stressed if I went into the city and I had an afternoon flight to catch. I would be bouncing off the walls thinking what if a storm hit, what if the traffic is slow - yeah I know I'm crazy. I leave for punta cana every Jan for 2 weeks and I start washing bathing suits and start tossing suntan lotion, shampoo, etc into a box at the end of Nov.
I've never been to Chicago are there some nice restaurants close by that you could go and have a nice meal?

I'm a born and bred Chicagoan, and I wouldn't leave the airport.

Trains get delayed, traffic SUCKS (so forget catching a cab if you're running late), and 4.5 hours isn't a whole lot of time anyway, maybe enough time to hit a few stores and grab something to eat. You can do that at the airport. :smile:

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer, but neither airport is close enough to downtown to be convienient.

ETA: You mentioned museums - none of those are really close to the train stops, so add in cab/bus rides in traffic, or walking 15+ minutes (to be safe) each direction if not more.

I wouldn't leave the airport...
9:30 is wheels down by the time you taxi down the runway you'll be at the terminal @10:45 or later depending on the aircraft traffic, 5-10 min. to get off the aircraft.
You usually have to check in 2 - 2 1/2 hrs prior for an international flight. If you miss the cut off time they won't check you in. Don't forget you have to go through security again which could take an hour.

I'm a born and bred Chicagoan, and I wouldn't leave the airport.

Trains get delayed, traffic SUCKS (so forget catching a cab if you're running late), and 4.5 hours isn't a whole lot of time anyway, maybe enough time to hit a few stores and grab something to eat. You can do that at the airport. :smile:

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer, but neither airport is close enough to downtown to be convienient.

ETA: You mentioned museums - none of those are really close to the train stops, so add in cab/bus rides in traffic, or walking 15+ minutes (to be safe) each direction if not more.

I agree with the others. As much as it sucks to wait at the airport. It still takes time to get to the train and get to where you want to go. AND then get back. I know that google chrome laptops are being issued out for free usage and free wifi at certain terminals at certain airports.

If it was me, I'd spend time watching a movie with a laptop or read a book.

Also the chances of losing your luggage is higher when you aren't on the same flight as your luggage. Just in case catching the next flight was a thought. And from personal experience, losing your luggage even for a few days sucks ***.

I would think that you'd have maybe 3 hours in the city. If it were me, I might do it but relying on the train (and not a cab to get me to/from). And since I miss Chicago pizza, I would park my butt at Giordano's and have some pizza and then find a Nuts on Clark (Garrett's will also do - but it's available at the airport) and buy some popcorn.

Agree with others, not in February when weather will be a big factor in transportation delays.

What will really suck if weather delays your outbound flight.

But Mediana, great minds think alike :smile: Those are my two least favorite airports also, but LOVE the respective cities.

I would think that you'd have maybe 3 hours in the city. If it were me, I might do it but relying on the train (and not a cab to get me to/from). And since I miss Chicago pizza, I would park my butt at Giordano's and have some pizza and then find a Nuts on Clark (Garrett's will also do - but it's available at the airport) and buy some popcorn.

There is a Nuts on Clark in the airport too - I fly out of O'Hare all the time and see people eating that on the plane.

Thanks for your input ladies. Another thing is that I'm flying out from Terminal 5. The one, that doesn't have anything. Definitly no Popcorn. From what I found out, they have the following:

Chicago News and Gifts
Gold Coast Dogs
Graystone 1 Coffee
Haagen Dazs Ice Cream
Host Bar
Lou Mitchell's Express
McDonald's
Mindworks
Parades Bar
Pizzeria Uno M
Windy City Yogurt

Not much in the shopping department.

Thanks for your input ladies. Another thing is that I'm flying out from Terminal 5. The one, that doesn't have anything. Definitly no Popcorn. From what I found out, they have the following:

Chicago News and Gifts
Gold Coast Dogs
Graystone 1 Coffee
Haagen Dazs Ice Cream
Host Bar
Lou Mitchell's Express
McDonald's
Mindworks
Parades Bar
Pizzeria Uno M
Windy City Yogurt

Not much in the shopping department.

but you've got lots of time to move back and forth between terminals, not so much really to go back and forth from downtown to the airport.

chicago can be so unpredictable, it's taken me hours to get to the airport because of unexpected middle of day traffic there.

At least this is something you can decide the day you are there depending on if your flight arrives on time, weather is good, etc. If circumstances look iffy, stay at the airport. You don't need a reservation for anything you may decide to do.

Yes you can definitely go back and forth between terminals because you gotta go back through security regardless. Some terminals are better than others.

I live 2 blocks from the Western Blue Line and I work downtown - from O'Hare to Western, it's 25 minutes. From Western to downtown, it's 20. So you're looking at 45 minutes each way for travel. If you have 4 hours, then you have about two to go sightsee downtown a bit. Blue Line trains come every 10 minutes or so.

I didn't think you were allowed to enter a terminal behind security unless your flight leaves from that specific terminal. That's at least my experience with say Heathrow or Rome etc. Otherwise a lot of ladies would go to Terminal 3 to buy Chanel even thought they are flying out from Terminal 5.

On a better note since I'll be arriving at Terminal 1 I guess I could just linger around that Terminal until it's time to switch.

I am from the South so I am not prone to weather below the 40's, but on a whim I booked a trip to Chicago for the first week of December! :yahoo:

I have plans to visit:
1.) Millennium Park (specifically for "The Bean" and skating rink)
2.) Navy Pier
3.) John Hancock Observatory/Willis Tower Skydeck
4.) Field Museum/Science Industry Museum/Hellenic Museum

That's my itinerary so far and there's more information I would like to know:
1.) How is the weather beginning of December? 40's? 50's? 60's (wishful thinking)?
2.) Shopping centers
3.) Upscale clubs
4.) Restaurants to try
5.) Anything fun and adventurous

It's a 4 day, 3 night trip...
Any tip, information, suggestions, recommendation, and information would greatly be appreciated!!!

Where is your hotel? North Michigan Avenue is lighted beautifully for Christmas. In the downtown Macy's the window decorations should be something fun to see. It's not that far from Millennium Park.

If you are downtown, North Mich Ave. and Oak St. have the high end shopping. There is a high rise mall called Water Tower Place--not that unusual, but it's something most people visit. In the 500 block there is a mall that includes a Nordstrom; 900 North Michigan Ave. has a vertical mall with a Bloomingdale's. Along the Avenue you'll find everything from Neiman Marcus, Saks, Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Chanel, Bottega Veneta, Coach, Tiffany, etc. to H&M, Macy's. Oak St. has Prada, Hermes, Barney's, Tod's, and other high end designers.

If you want to visit some big malls, Skokie has Old Orchard; Oakbrook Mall west of Chicago has a lot of great stores. The largest mall is in Schaumburg (nw burbs)--Woodfield. Gurnee (n. of Chgo) has a large outlet mall (Gurnee Mills).

A lot depends on where you are staying and how much you like to shop.

There are too many great restaurants to list. Spiagga on N. Mich is Pres. and Michelle *****'s favorite restaurant. Bistro 110 is a casual but wonderful French restaurant near the old Water Tower. For casual but great food, the Peninsula Hotel has a street level cafe called Pierro Gourmet (I think that's the name) It's a block off Mich. Ave on Rush St. and you can eat there or get take out--fabulous meals, light fare and scrumptious desserts. When I don't feel like eating out, I pick up something to take back to my hotel room. You can't go wrong with any of the places to eat, really. It's just a matter of how much you want to spend.

I don't do nightlife or clubs so I'll leave that to someone else.

There is no predicting early December weather in Chicago. When we lived there it could be bitter cold with snow or in the 60's. If there is wind off the lake, it will be colder there than the *official* temperature at O'Hare airport which is actually in the suburbs. I would take a medium winter coat and pack some layers in case it's cold. Don't forget gloves, a scarf for your neck/face and something to cover your ears, just in case. Of course you can always buy those there but the sales tax is outrageous--over 10%. If you buy anything pricey, pay to have it shipped and you'll save on the sales tax.